constant calf twitches

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

constant calf twitches

Postby Ava on September 17th, 2004, 10:51 am

Regarding calf twitches. After a few days of thinking mine were better, they are worse than ever - I know this is common with bfs, but I have a question. We have talked about the "random" twitches. I find mine are settled into maybe 50 different spots on my body, most of which are in my calves and right above my knees and behind knees. The calves are constant, and I mean constant. If I look at my right calf on the outside part of the leg it is a twitch per second or more in many spots in that area. Sometimes it will fire repeatedly and other times each spot will twitch once about every 5-10 seconds or so. Does any one else have this kind of constant twitch in calves? I must be back to multiple thousands of twitches- worse than ever. I'm not really worried but just curious if others have this bad of a case.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby amy_twitch on September 17th, 2004, 11:48 am

Hi Ava,

I did have constant twitches like this--both in my feet and calves....then later on in my finger. No worries---you've just got a flare going on. Rest easy, and just try to ignore them :P

Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby Stephanie on September 17th, 2004, 12:51 pm

I've been having the same thing going on as you for the past month or so. Drives me crazy!
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby Ava on September 17th, 2004, 12:53 pm

Thanks Amy,

I was on the verge of popping a klonopin and your words of encouragement kept me going. This is just all part of it - the good, bad and the ugly.

I decided to RELAX this morning after the marathon of getting the kids to school, cupcakes for birthday, walking the dog etc. I sat on my bed with a facial mask on watching a soap opera. Next to me, in multiple baskets are mountains of laundry. Oh, well, somethings got to give.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby Ava on September 17th, 2004, 12:53 pm

Thanks Steph,

I thought you had the same icky calf twitches as me. Hope you're doing well today.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby SusanSid on September 18th, 2004, 12:49 am

I have had non stop twitches in my calf for a days then they stop. However I have had them in the arches of my feet for months...every few seconds. I find taking vitamins, calcium and magnesium, staying hyrdrated, wearing arch supports in my feet and getting enough sleep helps ALOT.
Hang in there!
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ava on September 18th, 2004, 5:01 pm

Hi Sue,

My twitches are still there today, but my perception of them is less. I'm not looking at my legs and arches of feet today. I still feel the twitches when I think about it, so I'm trying not to think about them. I've just got a better grip on the whole thing today.

I am paying better attention to taking my vitamins since your post yesterday. I've got all that you mentioned and more in the kitchen cabinet, but when they didn't work right away on my bfs, I stopped taking them - I've been twitching for 5 months.

How long have you had BFS and what tests have you had? Where are you located in the central coast of CA? I'm in the bay area, Burlingame to be exact and have had all the necessary tests and more to diagnose BFS. Just curious.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby SusanSid on September 18th, 2004, 7:34 pm

Hi Ava,
I live in San Luis Obispo, and am from the Bay Area! Anyway, I've had the twitches almost 3 years. I'm sure I had them earlier but didn't notice them. When I did, I about died....started looking on the internet...you know the rest. I have periods where the fasciulations are pretty bad, are all over my body and my arches just ache. My calves do it alot too, off and on.
I never had an EMG...yes, I'm one of those. I did have one a few years back for a neck problem (to check nerve damage from a disc, which was normal). The doc figured the length of time I"ve had it, I'm have no symptoms of ALS, so it would be a waste. Part of me wanted to just to it, but since I don't think they are a lot of fun I didn't do it.
Stress is huge for me in affecting BFS, and as I said so is hydration and the vitamins I take. My symptoms are very mild right now, I ignore them too. I have had almost every symptom people have mentioned on this website along with incredible anxiety. The anxiety is under control, my life is really busy, I'm trying to take better care of myself and I'm doing well.
The one thing I really encourage people to do is not to browse the web on ALS and not let your imagination get the best of you!
Hope this helps.
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on September 19th, 2004, 12:15 pm

I am also "one of those" who never had an EMG, but passed my neuro exam. I've been twitching for four months now, 90% in my left leg. Yes, it has been constant at times -- especially when I am stressed or tired.

I have a few other spots I twitch as well -- right calf, eyelids, left elbow, feet, palms, thumbs, and fingers.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Me too

Postby Ish on September 28th, 2004, 11:20 am

Yup. me too.

1-3 calf twitches a second; with one close enough to the skin to be visible every 10-15 seconds. Another twitch elsewhere (anywhere, anywhere) every 10 seconds or so. Twitching for about a year, maybe longer.

Nothing helps (vitamins, minerals, rest, exercise, relaxation, nothing ... except distractions), no long term improvement (actually probably never been worse), although there is waxing and waning.

Other symptoms are soreness in my thighs (the old "like I ran a marathon, only... I didn't") and yes, the famous buzzing!!! zzzt zzzt zzzt. hello?

First neuro next week.
Ish

Postby Stephanie on September 28th, 2004, 9:09 pm

Ish--you sound like me. I wish I would get an hour of no twitches. I'll even take a few minutes!
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby mike3456 on September 28th, 2004, 11:34 pm

My calves are a popular spot also. I also get them are my knees too. It almost seems like the "hot spots" like more heavily used muscles and I think the calves are probably one of the most used. I thought I read somewhere that the achilles tendon was the srongest in the body...a lot of tension there always.
-Mike
mike3456

My biscuits, er, calves are burning! Any suggestions?

Postby Davey on October 8th, 2004, 1:06 pm

I've been having constant twitching all over my calves since August. It's like I have a hive of bees under my skin. My lower legs and feet also ache and burn. I have been cramping, especially when I try to go for my thrice-weekly 3-mile run. Needless to say, I haven't been running for awhile, except when I referee soccer games.

I have been taking Ca, Mg and Zn supplements, but these haven't helped. Has anyone had any success with other treatments? I know benzodiaprines (ie. Klonopin) and carbamazeprines (Tegretol) help reduce twitching, but they are potentially addictive and my GP doesn't want me on them. Any suggestions?

By the way, I'm going to see a Neuro next month. My wife sees him for migraines and mentioned to the nurse my BFS. The nurse told her that he specializes in that sort of thing, so hopefully he will be up on the latest treatment options. I will relay any new information I get!
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby LeeNC on October 8th, 2004, 10:01 pm

Davey:

Wow, a neuro who specializes in this stuff? Please DO share any nuggets of wisdom when you see him next month!

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby SusanSid on October 8th, 2004, 11:35 pm

I have had calf twitches non stop for months. Right now they are fairly periodic. I know if my hamstrings and gluts are tight it's a lot worse. Stretching helps a lot. My feet don't bother me any longer but I had severe arch cramps for about a year. I find keeping hydrated, stretching, taking vitamins helps a lot. Stress makes it a lot worse. Also, shoe inserts have helped a lot too.
Good luck
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management