Hyperventilation syndrome?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hyperventilation syndrome?

Postby Souris on September 13th, 2004, 3:16 am

Hi,
I found out something interesting recently and thought it might interest some of you.
I still get my BFS symptoms from time to time when I'm stressed. I've also had chest pain in stress situations for a long time, even before BFS, but my heart is fine. I know I have bad breathing habits (rapid chest breathing when under stress), so I looked that up on the web recently and found a lot of interesting information. Almost all of my symptoms can be caused by hyperventilation syndrome (HVS): cramping, twitching, muscle pain, feeling lightheaded, bloating / IBS symptoms, frequent yawning, chest pain, lump in throat, ....
HVS is a frequent disorder, caused by anxiety and stress and bad breathing habits.
Here's a link to a website explaining this condition and giving useful advice for self help: http://www.physiohypervent.org/
If you have HVS, you can change your breathing habits to achieve slower abdominal breathing. I'm trying to do that at the moment. Not easy to change habits, but I'll give it a try.
I guess BFS has various causes, but maybe HVS is the solution for some of you, so I wanted to share this info with you.
Take care,
Souris
Souris

Postby amy_twitch on September 13th, 2004, 12:21 pm

Yep--I've heard of this too. In fact, I've been to the ER twice in the last year with 'panic attack type' symptoms, and they discharged me both times with the diagnosis of "hyperventilation syndrome".

I agree that many of us probably suffer from this from time to time....but I'm not sure if it's the complete answer to BFS or not. Seems a lot of us still twitch even when we seem to be at our most relaxed. Of course, you don't have to be 'panting' to hyperventilate. It can happen if you sigh too much...often without you even knowing you're doing it.

This could also be linked to those of us who have sinus problems (seems to be quite a few of us including myself). If you have sinus issues, it can disrupt the normal flow of breathing without you even realizing it--and can then cause hyperventilation to occour.

Somehow this could also be linked to Gary's recent discussion of magnesium levels. Too much oxygen and too little carbon dioxide in our systems could cause a whole host of issues--maybe even at a cellular level with magnesium and such (???)

Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby mike3456 on September 24th, 2004, 8:49 pm

Yeah I made a reference to that too in one of my recent posts. Alot of the symptoms are me to a tee and I *do* have chronic sinus problems, as well as generalized anxiety (severe lately). My doctor just gave me Nasonex.

I think chronic anxiety can make you breath shallow, fast, and from the upper part of the chest, hence chronic hyperventilation and you don't realize you're doing it...an unconscious pattern of incorrect breathing. I try the breathing exercises occasionally, but not sure if they are helping. I haven't tried breathing into a paper bag yet.
-Mike
mike3456

BREATHING PROBLEMS

Postby eric on October 15th, 2004, 8:08 pm

HYPERVENTILATION CAN BE A SIGN OF LYME DISEASE AS WELL AS ALL THE OTHER SYMPTOMS THAT YOU EXPERIENCE,. CHECK OUT ANY WEB SITE.

ALS AND LYME DISEASE
YOU WILL DISCOVER SOMETHING NEW
ERIC
eric
Hero
Hero

BREATHING PROBLEMS

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management