Vitamin Supplements for muscle twitching?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Vitamin Supplements for muscle twitching?

Postby hilalk on September 2nd, 2004, 1:08 pm

I am a 23 year old male, I started getting muscle twitches about 6 months ago. They started in one spot and I would get repetitive twitches for a few seconds and then it would stop. They would go and come every couple of hours, usually when resting and usually in the same place. After a few weeks it began to get worse, the twitches started to last longer, up to a minute instead of a few seconds and they became more frequent. The twitches also started moving to different muscles. For example I would get a twitch in my shoulder which would stay there for about a week and then it would move to my back for about a week and then my thigh, etc. After looking up twitching on the net I found that it was a common side effect of magnesium, potassium or calcium deficiency. I am a very active person, I go to the gym 5-6 times a week, I lift weights and do cardio so I thought I might not be supplementing with enough vitamins. I began supplementing with magnesium, potassium and calcium about 2 months ago. Since then the twitching has dramatically decreased though it is still present. It is more like fluttering now than twitching and it is much more random than before, usually in the lower body (thighs, calves, feet). It doesn’t last more than a few seconds and doesn’t usually come back for an hour or so and usually in a different place. My question is since supplementing with vitamins has reduced the twitching is it safe to assume that that was the cause or should I still be worried about a more serious neurological disorder.

P.S I do not get any unusual muscle soreness (other than the usual soreness from weight lifting). Also I smoke cannabis from time to time, which seems to reduce the twitching a little, but I can’t be sure.
hilalk

Postby Floater on September 4th, 2004, 9:29 am

see a doctor and have your blood checked for any deficencies before taking a supplement you might not even need. i should give myself the same advise, but i take b-12 b-6 folic acid, fish oil, and sam-e. i get low on potassium and sodium also my blood sugar has been a little high, but it was only a little high on one test. also i have mildly elevated liver enzymes, no other abnormalities so far.
Floater
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management