Ear Clicking

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Ear Clicking

Postby trustme78 on January 21st, 2016, 4:49 am

I got a new symptom - ear clicking. This has been going on for about a week now. It's not really super annoying because it's a rather "silent" thing - I only notice it when I concentrate on it. Annoying nevertheless.

I googled around a little (I know, I shouldn't do that) and found the following: http://www.fauquierent.net/earclicking.htm

It's right up our alley, let me quote:
Just like any muscle in the body, these muscles can also "twitch" rapidly causing the clicking noise in the ear. Tensor tympani muscle spasms typically produce a clicking sound whereas stapedius muscle spasms produce more of a buzz/click sound.

I post this as a reference for people who might end up here looking for this symptom and for fellow BFSers who suddenly realize they have this condition. So you know that you are not the only one.

Take care folks! :)
trustme78

Re: Ear Clicking

Postby guitarguy11 on January 22nd, 2016, 1:19 pm

I have had ear drum twitching and clicking for years. Mostly my right ear. It comes and goes. Oddly enough when certain notes are played (for instance the open b string on my guitar) it is more likely to do it. Also if I have a cold with sinus drainage it tends to act up.

I have had these ear twitches since I was at least 19 or 20. I am the ripe old age of 44 now, so even though sometimes they are annoying, I don't let them bother me. if you look at my history on this site, you will see that I have let the twitches in other places bother me though! I am in a good place with this condition now and hope to stay there.

Good day everyone!
guitarguy11

Postby Yuliasir on January 22nd, 2016, 2:10 pm

Must say those twitches are the most annoying in my own list :) worse than fascial and any other you can imagine.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby moeSlow on February 9th, 2016, 5:21 pm

My right ear I get clicking too. It's like click, click, click, click. Stop for a while. Then back for another round. My right ear is also 'stuffed', as in it feels like it's full of something and crackles like parchment paper if I flex the right side of my face.

I think it's probably some form of TMJ I've developed over the years from anxiety. It was only a year or so ago that I noticed that to deal with my anxiety, I clench my jaw and really squeeze my tongue against my teeth. And now, I really make sure I'm conscious of this and ease my body. We are anxious people. And anxiety doesn't leave the body just because you are distracted. You're mind is still full of that fear. And I think because of this, I think I've developed a scalloped tongue and some dents in my tongue. It's either that or atrophy, but I like to think it's just my putting undue strain on my body for nearly 6 years of paranoia and fear.
moeSlow

Postby trustme78 on February 17th, 2016, 3:43 am

moeSlow wrote:My right ear I get clicking too. It's like click, click, click, click. Stop for a while. Then back for another round. My right ear is also 'stuffed', as in it feels like it's full of something and crackles like parchment paper if I flex the right side of my face.

I get exactly that! I notice these symptoms especially during the night when I go to bed and try to fall asleep and I put my ear to the pillow.

Take care!
trustme78

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management