Amitriptyline - experiences?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Amitriptyline - experiences?

Postby Xina535 on January 8th, 2015, 8:15 am

Hi - my new therapist wants to take me off of Opipramol and put me on Amitriptyline. I tried using the search function on here to see if this has been mentioned before, but everytime I try to search I get "webpage has expired"- though I am connected. Not sure what is going on.

My therapist said that under normal levels of stress and anxiety, our brains are built to regulate those things. But when things go overboard, like a juggler trying to juggle 20 items when he has only practiced or is trained to juggle 10, the brain can't cope, and this changes pretty much everything. We tense up, we are easily startled, we can't sleep (which worsens symtoms), we get depressed and this all changes the chemical activity in our brains and affects our already senstive nervous system. He believes my twitching issue and other symptoms (globus) is from constant worry and tension - makes perfect sense. He does think though, that something else my be going on with my arm, such as a herniated disc or something (because of the pain). To be figured out...

But he said that Amitriptyline raises the levels of of both seratonin and nerdopamine (sp?), which helps nerves communicate better with each other. He said it will make me sleepy at first for a good while, but after 2-3 weeks, I will feel like myself, but the little things will matter less. Right now, every little thing is a challenge. I am not just hyper aware, I am like Ms. Hyper Aware Universe. I have to think really hard about if and how I should get out of bed or take a shower. I don't want to move because I don't want to feel the symptoms (like my left arm being heavy when I wash my hair). I somehow get it done, but it's all challenging.

He said main side effects are weight gain and constipation. I can live with that, seeing as right now I am hardly eating.

Anyway - anyone try this medication for a good month or more? If so, what did it help (or not help) with? Thanks!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Amitriptyline - experiences?

Postby Bibi on January 8th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Hi Xina

I have been taken MIRTAZAPINE since )june 2014 . It is antidepressant which make You sleep better as an sideeffect . I take 15 mg and it helped me sleep much better from The start . Before i couldnt fell asleep and only slept 2 hours A time. So for this issue it is A grait help and i thinks it also raises level of The serotonin and nordopamine , i am not sure about The last but You Can check it out. I Am still anxious about my symptomes and i am going back to neuro 28/1 but i Can function at home and at work.
Bibi
Bibi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby misterjuanperalta on January 8th, 2015, 4:15 pm

Click here: search.php?keywords=Amitriptyline

Search of Amitriptyline
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on January 9th, 2015, 6:23 am

Bibi, I am glad you are able to function and that the medicine has helped you. Please let us know how it goes at the neuro! Best wishes for nothing serious!

Thanks for the link misterjuan - but it also does not work - same thing. It must be something on my side! I can't search on here...but it looks like that other people have posted about it. I hope good things! I hope to start it Tues or Wed of next week, right after my hand OP to remove this !*$%!* ganglion cyst finally!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on January 9th, 2015, 9:23 am

I had a torrid time on it. Just knocked me sideways and had no effect on my pain, muscles , twitching or cramping. Having said that everyone is different and its something you should at least try for yourself.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on January 11th, 2015, 4:14 am

Thanks Raindog. I was able to now see the search results link and could read some other Posts about it. After I start it, I will post my experience with it here. My therapist said it should make me care less about every Little Thing, after it fully kicks in. And I will be less "on edge".
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby ag2002 on January 19th, 2015, 5:16 am

I did not do well with amytriptiline. It made me feel spacey and gave me an elevated heart rate. I was only on it a couple days. Amytriptiline is an old antidepressant, so it supposedly is less exact in it's affect on neurotransmitters. It works mainly on serotonin and norepinephrine in theory. All the antidepressants are trial and error. One may work great on one person and make symptoms worse in another. I know exactly what you are going through. I tried numerous antidepressants until I found one that worked. Welbutrin is the antidepressant that worked for me. It works on dopamine and norepinephrine. The first couple weeks of almost all antidepressants you will not feel normal. If it persists longer than that talk to your physician about getting off or changing meds. I also take a very low dose of klonopin, which complments the welbutrin I am taking. A lot of physicians will be hesitant to put you on a drug like klonopin because it can have the possibilty of dependence. If you read the board you will notice klonopin is the drug that seems to work the best for bfs. Having said all that, meds will only do so much. You need to concentrate on overall lifestyle changes. Improve your diet, moderate exercise and most importantly getting to the root of your fears and worries. Either a self help book, meditation, therapist, will help. Hope you find healing. God bless.
ag2002

Postby Xina535 on January 19th, 2015, 6:44 am

I am on my 4th day...so far, I am just tired and can sleep through the night. It's giving me major dry mouth! I am taking 50mg once at night.

I am going to start regular therapy with this new therapist next month. I don't want to just take the meds and that's it.

In Germany, they won't prescribe that kind of klonopin stuff hardly at all! If so, it's like just 10 pills and usually only for acute situations like needing to fly but having a big fear of flying.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on January 26th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Ok.....forget Amitriptyline!!! Update to my side effects:

First few days of 25mg:
Could sleep better
Dry mouth
Constipation
Some dizziness
Left arm started to shake a little, did not connect this to the med at the time, thought it was my weak arm getting weaker or twitching more/differently

Additional effects after upping the dose to 50mg:
Red face (flushing)
Intense shaking of left arm, especially when first waking up, which intensified to my head also shaking when waking up, which intensified to vibrations/tremors all over, all day. My husband could put his hand in my body and feel the vibrations.
More, intense dizzy spells, from just laying there (not just when standing up)
Pressure headaches which led to tinnitus

I stopped taking the med two nights ago. After the first night, I woke up in the morning without shaking and vibrations were much less. Today, no tremors. I still have some of the initial side effects, but less.

So I took this med 13-23 Jan. It gave me so much anxiety and panic! Never again! Appt next week to discuss the possibility of going on Cymbalta. I am hesitant...
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby ag2002 on January 26th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Sorry to hear the amitriptyline did not work. It is hard, but try to be patient when dealing with antidepressants. They work on everyone differently. If it is anxiety related and they won't prescribe any benzodiazepines (klonopin, etc.), you may want to ask about Buspar. It is an antianxiety med that is not a benzo. I have never taken it. Just something to ask your doctor about. Praying for your healing.
ag2002

Postby Xina535 on January 27th, 2015, 12:32 am

Thanks! There was no way I was going to continue taking Ami. My therapist agreed with me to stop. When I have my appt next week, I will bring up Buspar, but I don't know if they have it in Germany, or if it's called that here.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management