Has anyone tried anti-virals??

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Has anyone tried anti-virals??

Postby jasonh_22 on August 9th, 2004, 1:15 pm

I've heard that a few Neurologists prescribe anti-viral medication (like Acyclovir) to treat BFS. I'm wondering if anyone has tried taking a course of this yet?? According to the theory, BFS is caused by some sort of weird virus, and the muscle twitches are a result of your body trying to attack destroy this virus. So anyway, taking anti-viral medication is supposed to help. Has anyone tried this??
jasonh_22

Postby Floater on August 9th, 2004, 5:28 pm

I heard the same thing and that it works for bfs
Floater
Saint
Saint

CDV is a close match

Postby John_JR on August 11th, 2004, 4:32 am

I have to chime in on this one, being one who feels my BFS (and possibly many others) are a result of an infection of some type. I'm leaning toward bacterial right now but virus is also a good possibility. Here's why:

Of known viruses, the only "known" virus I can find info on that causes neurological complications like twitching is CDV (canine distemper virus). Quote from the factsheet:

It is possible for humans to contract an asymptomatic (subclinical) CDV infection. Anyone who’s been immunized against measles (a related virus) is protected against CDV as well.
http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/distemper/

As I read it, humans could get it but won't nessasarily exhibit the symptoms, plus any of you who've had a measle shot should be protected too. Even in CDV, the virus itself does not cause the neurological problems directly, it causes minigitus which causes many neurological issues. However, CDV can cause many co-infections which can bring us back to the bacterial and the miningitus concept.

Which then leaves us to a new or not yet known virus. However, you must keep in mind most viruses are very distructive. They litteraly distroy "good" cells during their replication processes. So, if BFS is related to a virus, one would wonder "what" the mystery virus is using (distroying) as a means of replicating itself?

jasonh, I'd like to know what types of anti-viral drugs were reported as having success with BFS. Does anyone know more about this?
John R.
John_JR

RE: Viral orign and Cause

Postby Bradford on August 17th, 2004, 10:34 pm

I'm an opponent of the viral connection only because there is much more medical evidence that links neurological symptoms to an autoimmune disorder. Myasthenia Gravis, Neruomyotonia, Issac's Sydrome to name a few and all of these have many symptom manifestations found with BFS.

If there is any link to viral origin, the virus conceivably could alter cell structure enough that the body starts mistaking normal cells as invaders

For what its worth they have identified antibodies that alter the cell membrane of the peripheral nervous system. The research seems to indicate that the ion specific gate for potassium is affected and doesn't regulate the flow of ions as it should. As a result, cell function is changed and we are talking about the peripheral nervous system which is part of the skeletal muscle control.

Usually viral infections can show changes in the CBC and at the very least have known to cause "fever" as the body attempts to fight it off. I would suspect that a viral infection of this magnitude would have some effect on normal blood tests and other physiolgical indicators.
Bradford
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

antiviral

Postby eric on August 24th, 2004, 10:45 pm

I think that it is bacterial in nature and the immune system is trying to fight it off and as it fights the infection peices break apart and cause the immune system to stay activated. antiibiotics along with immuno suppresants look as if they work to stop the onslaught of the immune system. paquinel is what im on now and it seems to work along with very very high dose antibiotics.
eric
eric
Hero
Hero

mycoplama and anti-virals

Postby John_JR on August 26th, 2004, 3:55 am

Actually this topic re-inforces my mycoplama theory I posted several weeks back. I remember reading somewhere that mycoplasmas exhibit traits of both bacteria and viruses which could explain why some anti-viral meds are effective. Here's the mycoplasma link again:

http://www.shasta.com/cybermom/myco%20tx%20sugg.htm

Eric, I'm back on abx again and starting to feel some relief agian. I plan to stay with it a while longer this time since I have more meds now. Keeping a detailed journal too.
John R.
John_JR

lyme disease

Postby eric on August 26th, 2004, 7:25 am

contact a doctor outside of your area, one that is lyme literate if so have your doctor call doctors in ny and they will get you on the right test and proper meds.
lyme disease is an autoimmune disease.
eric
Hero
Hero

lyme disease

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management