Twitching pointer finger

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitching pointer finger

Postby speg on August 4th, 2004, 3:40 pm

I promise this is my last post for a while . . .

Is it a common hot spot to twitch on the top of your hand, between the thumb and the pointer finger? And can it make your finger move?

Of course, now I am thinking Parkinson's, which doesn't make any sense since this looks like the same twitches currently going on in my calves.

Thanks,
Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Ava on August 4th, 2004, 3:45 pm

Hi Peg,

I got that same hot spot a few weeks back and posted about it somewhere on this forum - it sometimes made my pointer finger move too. Lots of people responded that they had the same thing. I asked the nurse at the UCSF if ALS twitches make your fingers move and she said no.

Also, I upped my klonopin and it went right away. Now it happens once in a while, not non-stop like it did for a day or so in a row.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby Stephanie on August 4th, 2004, 4:40 pm

Every single person that I asked to hold out their hand w/their fingers spread out had the same thing--their fingers moved back and forth! I think that's just normal.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby Floater on August 4th, 2004, 7:52 pm

it happens always................................................................................................................................
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby speg on August 4th, 2004, 10:00 pm

Every single person that I asked to hold out their hand w/their fingers spread out had the same thing--their fingers moved back and forth! I think that's just normal.

No. This is a real, pulsating twitch on the top of my hand. It is between the thumb and the base of the index finger. It happens to move my finger because it is connected, but the twitch is a big, visible hot spot that is constant.

I think this is the most disturbing twitch to date, despite the fact I've had some real biggies in my legs.
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby maudlin on August 4th, 2004, 10:49 pm

I've had this, too, and I'm the local poster girl for BFS.
maudlin
Interested
Interested

Postby speg on August 5th, 2004, 8:54 am

:lol:

Hi, I haven't seen you around here before poster girl?

Is this twitch usually a persistent thing cause mine is still with me today.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby maudlin on August 5th, 2004, 11:00 am

Hey Peg -- do you feel stalked? 8) I think I've talked about the hand/thumb twitch after you on a few threads now.

My usual collection of BFS symptoms have dropped a lot in frequency since seeing the neuro and going on a little vacation -- I now get some thumpers in my right upper arm and both calves a few times a day and some wee twitches just about everywhere else on occasion. But while I never get 24/7 twitching or buzzing in a hot spot at the height of my anxiety, the space between my right thumb and forefinger did twitch a lot relative to everywhere else. I think the hand twitch happened several times a day for at least a month before my body trotted out a new hot spot. (I only got a visible thumb twitch for an hour after the neuro visit where he described that symptom).

If you've had BFS on and off for seven years, you are going to have a lot of symptoms like this pop up. But remember that the studies that have been done show absolutely no record of ANYONE with BFS subsequently developing ALS. This means that BFS people have the same chance as the general public of developing ALS -- that is, a vanishingly small chance as this is a very, very rare disease. Remember, the same small set of signs and symptoms can be found in many mild, moderate and severe disorders. A headache is a known symptom of bubonic plague -- should I worry myself to death every time I get a headache because it might be the plague? I think you agree with this intellectually, but like all of us who have grappled with worry, at gut level, you are having a hard time convincing yourself of that.
maudlin
Interested
Interested

Postby speg on August 5th, 2004, 11:12 am

COPYCAT!!! :wink:

You are right. I am actually intellectually reasonable can give advice to anyone other than myself.

My hand/finger twitch has been NON-STOP. Of course, my worries go back and forth between ALS and Parkinson's. I think the ONLY reason I am thinking PD is because of Michael J. Fox and his twitching pinkie. But then I tell myself my finger isn't actually twitching, it's the muscle below the finger making it jerk. It is obviously a twitch and I have them elsewhere. So, then I go back to the ALS worry.

I don't have any other symptoms for either disease, I am really not at high risk for any of it, and am not sure why I am so freaked out. I just hate all the stories out there that begin with "it all started with a twitch."

I just need to know that others havd had this thumb/pointer twitch, possibly for a long time, and they are okay. It does seem to be a common hotspot. What muscle is that by the way? I do use a mouse/computer 10 hours a day with that hand.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management