[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
AboutBFS.com • View topic - What could this be?

What could this be?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: BFS or Candidias?

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 21st, 2014, 8:21 pm

If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Re: What could this be?

Postby Yuliasir on May 21st, 2014, 11:26 pm

Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Beliefs

Postby Dennis_dw on May 22nd, 2014, 5:20 pm

Dennis_dw

Postby Dennis_dw on May 23rd, 2014, 1:28 pm

Dennis_dw

Postby Yuliasir on May 23rd, 2014, 2:20 pm

I am not sure about serotonine/dopamine tests as in fact the level in the serum should vary during the day... and I am not sure if the tests will show what happens in the brain - you may have enough level in the serum but low amount of receptors for example so your body may be 'blind' to those mediators (like it is 'blind' to insulin in certain types of diabetes), or vice versa you may have extra receptors so you are oversensitive then but I am not sure someone would order a brain hystology or biopsy to check if there is everything Ok with your receptors. This is usually judged on the basis of nondirect evidences :))
but anyway I am not a doctor so you may ask of course if there are good tests to see qhst is your neuromediators' status.
Just tell what you write I think - that you have fainting feeling, strange spasms of peripheral vessels, unexplained nervousiness, alot of vague symptomes without any significant clinical changes in the blood biochemistry (you may take yout tests results with you if available), etc. Believe me those disorders are known in medical community and the only trouble is that there is no magic pill to treat them...

have a good luck with your neuro visit.

my best regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Dennis_dw on May 26th, 2014, 11:34 am

I have an apointment this friday with a neurologist with a great reputation, I'm supprised that it doesnt the take 3 weeks like normally.

I went to my old dokter today because I didn't go to work Saturday and needed a medical certificate. I told him that i had Hypnic Jerks or apnea's every 10 min when i went to sleep for hours untill I just wake up.

And that i have feeling like somone turns my head off for a second. (brainzaps) he perscribed me serlain because he still thinks my symptoms are from a SSRI discontinuation syndrome, the problem is when I start taking this I can't stop taking it for at least 6 months. The fist time when i took anti depressants (paroxetine) I had some enoying side affect... And it didn't help at all so i am not sure whether i should start taking them or not.
Dennis_dw

Postby Yuliasir on May 27th, 2014, 7:01 am

discussion is a key action in that situation. do not accept the meds as the doctor prescribes them, but ask - tell your story, talk about side efects, ask if you can address him (or her) during initial 3-4 weeks (as SSRI are known to have black period), ask about diet as SSRI may need dietary limitation in order to avoid serotonine syndrome etc.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Re: Beliefs

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 28th, 2014, 8:48 pm

If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby ag2002 on May 30th, 2014, 4:44 am

Dennis,

It is obvious that you are stressed by the comments you have made. What are your options? To continue searching for the silver bullet that will solve all of these physical problems? Continue chasing that elusive cure. It seems like you have chased that elusive cure through many avenues, internet research, and doctor visits. Has that route been fruitful thus far? I am going to suggest that instead of focusing on what is wrong with you physically to instead passively accept your symptoms (this can be hard). Concentrate instead on improving your overall health. We are more than just our physical bodies. You can take a holistic approach and work on yourself emotionally, spiritually, physically, and mentally. I am not saying to just think positive thoughts and pretend that everything is alright. You would be lying to yourself. However, you can think of things in a more helpful way. You talked about rock climbing, sky diving, only getting 4 hours of sleep a night and different changes in your life. All of those are stressors. You may get a rush from sky diving and it maybe something that you enjoy. But, it still creates stress hormones in your body. I just began reading a book called Taking charge of your emotions by Dr. Linda Solie. Also don't forget to look into anxietycentre.com. I think you would find both helpful. Hope you begin thinking and feeling better. Praying for you. God bless.

Jerad
ag2002

Postby Dennis_dw on June 1st, 2014, 7:52 pm

I agree that I might have some stress but who doesn't, and you’re right learning to live with it seems like it’s going to be the only option soon.

Still I have been bouldering (climbing) indoor for years now. I really love it! The people are all laid back friendly and there’s an overall good vibe there. I’d used to go 3 or 4 times in a week for hours a time but I just can’t anymore, my body won’t let me I never know what it is going to be. I've been thinking the last few months: Ok we will just go and see what today brings if it’s a bad day I will try again tomorrow. After a while you start going less because chances are that it is not going to go well anyway. You see people who had the same level climb way better… I’d go there and people know that I am a decent climber and they see me climbing 3 grades less than usual shaking every step I take and I can’t hold the blocks. Not because I am anxious but because I just don’t have the power.

Then I get questions like: Had a heavy weekend? Sweating the alcohol out?... While i had been resting the days before.

I convince myself to go even if I feel bad when actually I feel like I need to go lie down because I have 0% energy. To realize most of the time that my climbing grade dropped and need to take a break twice as long as I actually climb.

This is just an example, I haven’t gone skydiving for a few months and rock climbing for a few weeks. It is true that they give stress hormones I seriously doubt that it is the cause of my problems. If so you could start blaming everything. I know stress is one of the biggest triggers for BFS etc. So I won’t deny that it has a big impact on whatever I have, but I really get the feeling like it is a standard to say: we don’t know what is causing your problems it has to be stress for sure.

So what are my options here?
1) Keep going to get disappointed every time, fooling myself that it will go better after a while.
2) Accept that I am 24 and can’t do this sport anymore and lie on my sofa and watch tv every day.
3) Search for the cause, so I might take some medication that could help me.

The reason I only get 4 hours of sleep is because I am shaking and I am getting jerks and I get nervous because of them. Some nights I fall asleep like a rose and sleep 10 hours a night, some nights I could try for hours and only get 4 hours of sleep. While nothing changed at all. I try to stay positive, I have allot of fun with my friends mostly I am optimistic when I am around people. It feels like every day is a lottery with a small chance of having a day where I don’t feel like a dishcloth.

Because off all this randomness I don’t think that this is stress or anxiety, I am not depressed or afraid to do things. I am beginning to feel sad an frustrated because I am having a hard time living a normal live. I just don’t know what to think anymore. But if they don't find anything It looks like I have no choice :)
Dennis_dw

Postby SecretAgentMan on June 2nd, 2014, 6:47 am

Dennis,

Perhaps try shifting your activities to better suit your current condition. You still need an outlet for your stress, especially under your circumstances now with health concerns. If you do not have the strength or energy to do the more extreme things you are used to, perhaps you need to dial it back and try some new activities. Do you like nature walks? They can be a great way to escape everyday busy modern life while quieting and calming the mind. Have you ever tried yoga? Some people have overcome some pretty amazing health challenges through yoga (meditation in motion). Here's a video with one such example that I hop you take the time to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

I would also recommend you start trying meditation or self hypnosis on a regular basis. Not only is it a great way to quiet/calm the mind and body, but it has also been proven to change the physical expression of our genes. Multiple studies are being published on this subject. What have you got to lose? Anyway, just a suggestion.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Dennis_dw on June 5th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Dennis_dw

Postby Dennis_dw on June 6th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Actually I climbed the day I wrote the previous post and it went really well, and climbed again Tuesday it was the best day I've had for a long time. I was really tired both times still when I try to go to sleep I jolt awake gasping for air even tough I am sure I was not hyperventilating but breathing normal before. So it might be a sleep apnea? That would explain why I have big eye bags since i was like 10 and I am never rested.

I went orthodontist and a jawbone surgeon a few weeks back because i have a gap between my top front teeth and i have been insecure about it for a while. They told me that my jawbone is to short that my chin should be 1cm further but that my teeth all fit perfectly on top of each other. That they could clear the gap between my teeth in about 4 months and break my chin and put it a little forward about 5mm. Or put my chin forward 5mm and then break my chin and put that 5mm forward as well. Then pull my teeth back and have braces for 2 years.

Now that I Googled for sleep apnea's I fit like all the symptoms, I had my tonsils removed when i was very young, my jaw is very short and I've felt like my throat was stuck/blocked when i woke up many times gasping for air. So now I am wondering if I should do a sleep test to make sure. because if they are going to put my chin 5mm forward, then come to the conclusion that they would need to put my whole jaw 1cm forward because to solve the apneas that would be awful :p I didn't know about this before I made the appointment and they are already going to put my chin forward the 16th.

I also had my tong band removed because it my tongue was to short I asked the jaw surgeon if it could have been linked. He said that my whole under jaw was underdeveloped, on the NMR the neuro took a while back they also saw that my septum Is crooked. So maybe It is just that i not get enough air at night...

But these again are a lot of if's and maybe's :p

These two examples look the same as what i experience but it feels like its both my heart and breathing so maybe it is a anxiety disorder after all who knows.

https://www.myptsd.com/c/threads/feels- ... ing.25026/
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?topic=41708.0

Anyway I could ask before they do the procedure.

Also a stupid unrelated question: If you stick your tongue out the furthest you can then pull it back do your botom teeth also stand 1cm over your top teeth, so in other words you you move your jaw forward then? :D
Dennis_dw

Postby muppetdog on June 6th, 2014, 9:18 pm

muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ag2002 on June 7th, 2014, 3:17 pm

If it is truly sleep apnea, I would think they would try using a cpap machine first before doing surgery. Cpap is standard for sleep apnea patients. I am a paramedic and have seen it work wonders for congestive heart failure and sleep apnea. Cpap stands for continuous positive airway pressure.
ag2002

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Symptom Management