experience with Vit B12?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

experience with Vit B12?

Postby German2 on April 23rd, 2014, 1:04 pm

Hello!
this is regarding nerves in general. Last year I had pain in certain nerves (face, leg...), like s.o. cuts me with a knive, and pain in my left eye (somehow behind the eye). That was before twitches have begun. I started with Vit. B12 and these specific pain vanished. I dont't have diagnosis BFS yet, but it seems to be s.th. with overexcited nerves. I stopped taking Vit. B12 several weeks ago and now those pains are back again. In addition to the twitches and muscle pains I have anyway meanwhile. Has s.o. else good experience with Vit B12?

German2
German2
Saint
Saint

Re: experience with Vit B12?

Postby Yuliasir on April 23rd, 2014, 11:07 pm

well, those pains (stabbing ones) are known to be casued by B12 deficite (as for eyes, I am not sure, mine appeared to be due to straining my eyes too much, with the glasses they resolved), and a vast majority of BFSers have extremely low B12 by the way.

Some people report they feel better on B12, some not becasue maybe some of us have also malabsorption problems or inherent decreasewith lack of enzymes assisting B12 to be absordeb or processed in the body). Those people probably need to take pholic acid too.

but some people report really good results, like you.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on April 24th, 2014, 4:20 am

Hi,

thank you for your response. So in general I have now the impression to fit very well in the pattern of BFS....Maybe this is in Germany not a common diagnosis.
In my medical reports the always refer to a "somatic disfunction". Whatever this means..
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on April 24th, 2014, 5:36 am

somatic disfunction means that you have certain process in your body but without clear indication of involved systems or organs, that is why it is called disfunction, not disease.

for example, we complain for pains - but without inflammation (at least not localized where the pain is)
we may complain for rheumatiod-like symptomes, but out tests do not fit typical RA panel results.
we have bowel troubles but nothing like ulcers or epithelium changes on colonoscopy/biopsy, etc. etc.

most probably such disfunctions are related to the autonomous nervous system dysfunctions, and those are practically always stress related (I mean not only psychogenci stress like fears or hard job or social unrest etc.) It might be a chemical stress too - for example, if your thyorid works unstable, it makes your body really crazy, adn this can cause somatic disfunction.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on April 24th, 2014, 5:49 am

o.k, Thank you! Is BFS also a disfunction or a "real" disease, then...?
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on April 24th, 2014, 6:42 am

I do not know, German.
BFS involves a lot of features which allow to classify it as a psychosomatic disorder (namely multitude of complains, pain included, for which contemporary methods did not find any substantial explanation, especially correlated to the location of pain, numbness etc.)
However I read here recently about the study which suggest that we may experience subclinical inglammation of glial tissue (grey matter of central brain) - at least people with post-infectional encephalites and similar complains (twitching, pains, depression, anxiety) had demonstrated such inflammation. We had a case of SuzyQ who had a massive course of anti-ifnlammatory treatment due to misdiagnosing with MS - and she had cured completely - from twithcing and from fears too. But of course this approach can not be recommended widely, becasue intense antiinflammatory course involves suppression of immune system and may be really dangerous. This is usualyy the last resort of medicine...
This does not necessarily means we have such glial inflammation too, and usually BFS resolves by itself (we have only small percentage of people, as far as I may judge from 2 years experience on site, when BFS remains constant, or gets worse with the years).
anyway BFS is a complicated phenomenon. It definitely involves some hidden inflammatory sources (not so readily determined as in RA, which, by the way, is considered nowadayas as a disorder with significant pshycogenic component, like asthma, hypertension etc.), very very often it involves rapid onset of anxiety disorder, sometimes it invilves chronic anxiety or obsessive disease, and it is acknowledged that there is no single cure for it.

But who knows.
for decades we did not had treatment for gastric ulcer (also partly neurogenic disease as secretion of acid depends strongly on stress hormones levels) - and ho! it appeared strong antibitics help and this is a bacterial disorder :)))
probably one day scientists would find a bacteria causing BFS too :)))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on April 24th, 2014, 7:03 am

Thanks a lot of sharing this excellent knowledge with me! That is very interesting, especially because ist is still a new field in science. And sounds like I am even more fitting in this pattern. I experienced a great onset of anxiety due to all the diagnosis approaches. I am curious to know what my neuro doc is telling me next week. My pain in my twiching feet drive me crazy s.time, though I can walk normal. The pain in my hand muscle come and go. Sometimes excercises help, and some time make it even worse (maybe when I tried to often that "testing my power over and over") The fasciculations in my calves (and the pain there), got better after I began to train them with stand-ups.
Iam really thankful!
German2
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management