Twitch Started in shoulder

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitch Started in shoulder

Postby Evening person on December 2nd, 2013, 5:24 pm

Hi

I have just joined the group in the past few days, my story begins in February 2013 after personal tragedy within the family, one evening my right shoulder twitched very strongly, this had never happened before and it really scared me, I went to my GP who ran some bloods tests and an elevated CPK showed up, I had worked out the night before so they said this was most likely the cause, any within days the twitches had spread all over, my head, back legs just above my knee but mainly in the calfskin and arches of my feet, from here I really became very anxious and continually watched parts of my body twitch, as I said I'd never experienced something like this before,

My GP sent me to a neuro where I have had MRI if head, neck, back, I have also had an EMG in the last 2 months and that's where the guy doing the EMG mentioned BFS of course the next step was to google, only thing he could see was some popping in the calfskin all other areas were fine.

I had continued to play sport up until august when our season finished, once we stopped strenuous training some symptoms seem to reduce, I still get a very stiff neck after working out now and a lot of joints crackling, and also aches and pains, since the EMG a lot of symptoms seem to have subsided, one thing I still get I'd a sense of shaking in my elbows, torso and sometimes my hands,

Does this sound like BFS or something different, you feedback would be appreciated,

Thank you
Evening person

Re: Twitch Started in shoulder

Postby johnnythejet on December 2nd, 2013, 5:41 pm

Sounds exactly like BFS to me, and confirmed by your neurologist. Welcome to the club. :D
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Evening person on December 2nd, 2013, 6:34 pm

Thanks for reply,

How does this BFS work, as I said I am very new to this, is there any pattern to the whole thing, does certain things make it worse. Is there anything people would recommend for the symptoms

Again thank you for any responses
Evening person

Postby johnnythejet on December 2nd, 2013, 6:41 pm

I recommend reading "BFS in a Nutshell" which is located near the top of topics under Symptom Management. That will give you a great base of information on BFS!
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on December 2nd, 2013, 6:49 pm

Sounds like BFS all the way !
People manage it in different ways, for me it's closely linked to anxiety.. If I reduce my anxiety the twitching generally reduces but there are prob other factors too !

Your in good company here and you will get great advice from fellow BFSers !
Read some of the previous posts to get an insight...
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby RGB on December 3rd, 2013, 2:17 am

Evening person wrote: my story begins in February 2013 after personal tragedy [...] one evening my right shoulder twitched very strongly, this had never happened before and it really scared me,[...] any within days the twitches had spread all over, my head, back legs just above my knee but mainly in the calfskin and arches of my feet, from here I really became very anxious and continually watched parts of my body twitch, [...]I have also had an EMG in the last 2 months and that's where the guy doing the EMG mentioned BFS

You are the 'poster child' for BFS! I've been on this board for almost a year and I have never read about someone who is so BFS! Don't start to worry about these harmless twitches because if you do there is no hope for the rest of us :)

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Evening person on December 3rd, 2013, 5:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback and comments, not sure if being the. 'Poster child' is s good or bad thing!

Would anyone have some feedback in how their body feels after some gym work ? I attended the gym yesterday and today my legs are very tight, and it seems like my balance is off hard to explain.any feedback is always appreciated

Thanks
Evening person

Postby RGB on December 8th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Evening person wrote:Thanks for the feedback and comments, not sure if being the. 'Poster child' is s good or bad thing!

Would anyone have some feedback in how their body feels after some gym work ? I attended the gym yesterday and today my legs are very tight, and it seems like my balance is off hard to explain.any feedback is always appreciated

Thanks

I'll put it a better way... you are the most unlikely 'poster child' for ALS I have ever read about here :)

Plenty of BFS people report muscle tightness after exercise so certainly consistent with BFS and nothing for concern.

It's always difficult though to be certain whether it is possible to attribute these symptoms to BFS, especially when we are talking about a group of people who can become very focussed on physical sensations/symptoms. The sense of being 'off balance' also probably falls into this category.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Evening person on December 16th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Thanks for your comments RGB.

This BFS is a weird thing ,my symptoms twitching wise seem to vastly improved in the past few weeks, months, only problem is I am now concerned about Parkinson's, as I said its a weird thing the BFS! Could any shed some light in this 'internal tremor feeling ' people have mentioned..

Many thanks
Evening person

Postby shell67 on December 16th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Let me guess -- you googled "internal tremor" and came up with Parkinson's right? I know, because I did that myself at one point. But you'll see that plenty of people on this forum have experienced that symptom and have nothing other than BFS (at least as far as I know). My neurologist seemed utterly concerned when I mentioned the internal vibration/tremor thing, and he said it's pretty common with BFS. I'm sure in time it will pass for you, as it did for me. Don't worry about Parkinson's.
shell67

Postby Evening person on January 10th, 2014, 11:48 am

Hi

Just wondering has anyone who has developed anxiety over the BFS had the following:

Heartbeat sensation in the back if their head just above the neck.
Dizzy spells
Tightness if the shoulders and the feeling if pressure in the head area.

Your response would be appreciated.
Evening person

Postby Evening person on January 23rd, 2014, 4:47 pm

Hi All

Back with more questions about this weird 'disease that is BFS

I sometimes find my index finger will move on its own, like when typing or using a mouse, this tends to freak me out and I get thinking of things like PD, is this a little crazy or do any of you have symptoms in your hands that resemble mine.

As previously mentioned I go to the gym 2 days a week and find that for a few days after the gym my legs and arms feel heavy and weak, this seems to wax and wane,

Last question, for people who have developed anxiety over BFS, what symptoms have you found effect you most.

Any comments would be really welcome
Evening person

Postby Evening person on May 10th, 2014, 5:21 am

Hi All

It's been awhile since I have been on here, to be fair my symptoms have improved somewhat in that I don't have the same anxiety about something more sinister! As I said in previous posts at the start this was unreal, so many twitches, some pain and stiffness etc, so for these to have abated I am glad !

Question I have if you can help me is I have been going to the gym a couple if times a week, could any tell me exactly how they feel physically after some strenuous gym work, your comments would be appreciated

Thanks
Evening person

Postby emmie.s on May 10th, 2014, 6:29 am

Glad to hear you're doing so well! To answer your question, I personally feel Ok after going to the gym. Of course if i overdo it I'm sore for days. However, I often get pops and twitches all over my legs and feet for at least an hour or two after the exercise. It's like it temporarily amplifies the symptoms. I've read that post-workout twitching is very common, even for those who don't have BFS.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Evening person on May 10th, 2014, 9:40 am

Thanks

I just find after a few days in the gym, the hamstrings etc becoming very tight and if I am lifting weights my neck and arms seem a bit weaker or not as mobile , not sure if this makes sense to you.

My sympthoms have improved but I think that's because I don't worry about it as much ! Not that I don't still worry a bit! I still get the twitches in feet, calf etc, I suppose one new place I find them is in the head very few weeks, it can go in for a few hours in the side if my head, do the head twitches sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks
Evening person

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management