Klonopin

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Klonopin

Postby Ava on July 17th, 2004, 9:46 pm

Hi All,

I'm writing about Klonopin. My doctor prescribed this drug to me after 2 1/2 months of twitching all over all the time (neg neuro exam, neg emg, diagnosed with bfs). I tried to let it run its course but doc and I agreed I was too anxious.

I started with .25 mg twice a day - sort of helped, upped it to .50 mg twice a day which greatly reduced twitching (at least by 1/2). Without consulting doctor, I tried to reduce the amount I was on to .25 twice a day. I immediately got a very bothersome twitch on the back of my hand between thumb and index finger. I upped to .50mg 3 times a day which doc said would be the max. At this level I still twitch but reduced by 80%. Finger twitch went right away.

My question is this. How is this supposed to work long term? I've been on it about 3 weeks so far. Do I continue on it and will my nerve endings "settle down" at some point and then I will come off drug and twitching will be less? Once, I missed a dose and twitching was definitely more active. Is this the kind of drug you can stay on indefinitely so that twitching is less and life is more fun? I definitely am happier day to day while on drug and reduced twitching.

The night I missed the dose 2 and 1/2 weeks into drug taking, I had trouble sleeping and felt "uncomfortable." When I took my AM dose I felt calm and better - so I would say this could be begining of the "habit forming." I definintely can not have alcohol, not even 1/2 a glass of wine while on this as I fall immediately to sleep. Otherwise, I'm very active and able to keep up my basic routine. I have gained a few pounds and not sure if its the drug, my reduced exercise or stress. Does it cause weight gain (drug store form said "weight changes" could be side effect and I was hoping that meant weight loss - oh, well).

Lastly, what kind of drug is this exactly? I know its anti-seizure med, but is it some kind of sedative type thing like valium? Note: I have never taken any kind of drug before except motrin and antibiotics.

Please share experiences about this good but slightly scary drug.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby Floater on July 17th, 2004, 10:13 pm

i was prescribed klonopin by my neurologist for benign fascics.. i take 1 to 2 mgs a day depending on symptoms..it has reduced my symptoms by 80%.. when i stopped at one time...about a month later i expierenced bfs like the good old days,,nasty symptoms..so since then ive been one it for 3 months so far..it use to sedate me and made me sleep real good,,,but now im to the point that my tolorence is so high that i dont get the sedating effect ,,,but i still get improvement of symptoms by 80%... i dont know what long term use holds for bfs,,,but i believe the more you suppress bfs and the more rest and stress free you are ,,the more likely it will go away
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby charlene on July 21st, 2004, 11:36 am

Hi Ava,
I've been on klonapin for almost 5 years. It helps a great deal with the twitching but saps my energy. I take .5mg once a day. It is enough to make the twitching bearable and I've never slept so well in my life. I'm reluctant to take any more than this as I don't want to become a zombie. I found that I also could not have a drink with it because it increases the effects of the alcohol. So far I have not built up a tolerence to the drug but I still have very bad days/weeks where the twitching is horrible but it eventually calms back down. I thought at one point that it was not helping so I stopped taking it. My twitching increased 10 fold! I find that the dose I'm on resolves the annoying little twitches that I get in my calfs but does not seem to help with the larger ones.
charlene

Postby Ava on July 21st, 2004, 1:59 pm

Hi Charlene,

Thanks for your input. One question, I thought you had to "wean" off Klonopin within 6 - 9 weeks or else it becomes habit forming. You say you've been on it for 5 years. Is this the recommendation of your doctor? I am open to weaning off it, but if symptoms flare up I think I'd rather stay on some low dose like your on .5 mg.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby speg on July 21st, 2004, 3:37 pm

I am now officially on .5 klonopin 3x's a day. My twitches (and anxiety) are reduced by 80%. I only feel an occasional thumper in my calf -- that's it. I took a 1mg today cause I thought I was going to have an emg (which got cancelled) and it wiped out my twitches, but made me sleepy. The .5 dose does not sedate me, justmakes me calm.

I have been on klonopin before, and had no problems weaning off of it whatsoever.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

note to peg re: klonopin

Postby Ava on July 22nd, 2004, 12:14 am

Hi Peg,

Just to clarify - are you taking .5 mg 3x per day for a total of 1.5mg? This is what I am presently taking and it does take away most of the twitching. Lately, however I am really tired and wanting to cut back somewhat. Or, are you taking a total of .5 mg split into 3 doses?

Also, it sounds like it's okay to take klonopin on the day you get an emg. I think I may be getting another emg at some time in the future and wondered if I would have to be off klonopin for this.

Thanks,

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby speg on July 22nd, 2004, 8:01 am

I am taking .5 three times a day or 1.5 mg. It does not make me tired at all. Just very calm. I think my twitching is tied to my anxiety levels.

But he said on "good days" I could cut it in half. I find I need it the most in the morning for some reason . . . the DR told me to experiment with the dosages.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

I take klonipin too...

Postby Maureen on July 24th, 2004, 3:27 am

after many years of benign fascic. syndrome and different other drugs. it does help me a lot. i take 1 mg. at bedtime. i do think it has calmed down my syndrome considerably. i don't even think it necessarily knocks me out anymore at bedtime. i don't love the idea of being on a pharmaceutical, but I have made peace with it. It also helps with my anxiety and PMS of which I have lots. I don't know what the future holds! I have not gained any weight on it. the only thing for me is that i do think it causes me to have some "memory recall" problems, but that also could be my age. Anyone else have that issue on it?
Maureen

Postby speg on July 24th, 2004, 10:56 am

I am experimenting. I think if I took 1 mg at bedtime and nothing in the morning, my twitches would be bad during the day when it wore off? How long does one pill last? Yesterday I tried a .25 in the a.m., a .25 in the afternoon and a 1 mg at night. The twitches were moderate during the day -- better at .5. I may see if get by with no meds this weekend, since they usually subside due to increased sleep. (Subside meaning less frequent.) NOTHING helps the foot buzzing, though, my main problem right now.

Memorary recall -- that is age! :wink:
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Ava on July 24th, 2004, 7:20 pm

Hi all,

I have cut back my konopin from .5 3x per day (1.5 totalmg) to .25 3x per day (.75 mg). I take it at 8:00 am, 3:00pm and 11:00 pm. I am twitching more since I reduced but symptoms are mangagable and I am no longer sleepy all day. Big difference in my vitality - sort of back to pre klonopin and bfs days. For me, taking it at regularly spaced intervals works best because I do think it "wears off" in between, at least for me. I do sleep like a rock these days and I used to wake up in middle of the night frequently. PMS is better for me too. I do get increased twitching with PMS so I may up dosage during that time. I think this is the kind of drug you need to play with somewhat to find the right personal balance.

Someone mentioned they were on it for a few years and weaned off with no trouble. I had no trouble cutting back by 1/2 dose in a matter of 2 days so I think I may be in the non addictive camp although its too early in the overall process to really tell.

Can I just say I LOVE KLONOPIN - it helps me handle this whole situation and I definintely have made peace with being on a med for the first time in my life!

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Why not take Xanax instead??

Postby jasonh_22 on July 29th, 2004, 1:18 pm

Klonopin has more side effects than Xanax...most of all the level of sedation. Xanax doesn't make me tired at all, but Klonopin does big time.
jasonh_22

Postby MattHasGonecrazy on July 31st, 2004, 4:08 pm

I was given a prescription of KLONOPAN, is it also Clonpan? or Clonopasm?

Anyways I was given it for anxiety, but i developed the twitching after it was prescribed (BUT.....i wasn't taking it) So the meds had nothing to do with me twitching.
My twitches are benign

Will klonpan help
MattHasGonecrazy

Postby Floater on August 1st, 2004, 5:25 pm

yes the K wafer should help.
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby dogdogman on August 9th, 2004, 5:46 pm

I am currently on .5mg three times a day for this whole bfs stuff. Without the Klonopin I get thousands and thousands of twitches daily which really freaks me out. With the Klonopin I probably get hundreds. Quite a relief. I have had my left upper thigh twitch for about a year now (a big thumper) but when I take the Klonopin it seems to subside. All I can say is that I NEED this medication to improve my quality of life. I use to take illicit substances (mainly ecstasy and speed 10 years ago and I'm afraid that one of these may have given me brain damage). My nervous system feels absolutely knackered and I feel the Klonopin helps. Without it the twitching is so bothersome that I feel suicidal. I feel that I may need to be on this med for the rest of my life but hopefully it won't do me any harm (I have maxed out at .5mg three times a day - the neuro said that this is the max he is prepared to administer). Put it this way I feel like I am in a predicament. In an ideal world I would not be taking benzos but this world aint ideal (if it was I wouldn't have this horrible condition!). I feel that Klonopin (Rivotril/Clonazepam) is a huge help for me personally. I can only tell you my side of the story. I just wish that I would never have taken illicit substances 10 years ago (incidentally I have never taken anything of the sort for 10 years). I'm just fed up cos I feel that I have caused all this by taking drugs and I find it extremely difficult to forgive myself.

Take care everybody,

Dogdogman.
Some days are just complete hell. Surely there are some meds that can help me!
dogdogman

Postby garym on August 9th, 2004, 10:36 pm

Dogdogman,

I have to tell you that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. I would bet the house that your twitches aren't from taking ectasy ten years ago! I personally have never touched the stuff, and I twitch like a mad man. Just like so many other members of the board. Don't beat yourself up over something you did in your youth.

Also, I say take the meds if they work. There isn't any shame in that. But I would also recommend that you try some other ways to reduce the anxiety assoc. with this garbage. Cognitive behavioral therapy may really help, so may meditation. What ever you try, you have to fight back.

Hang in there brother, it is going to get better, and cut yourself some slack!

Gary
garym

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management