Arms, shoulders, trunk..and barely no leg twitching

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Arms, shoulders, trunk..and barely no leg twitching

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 1st, 2013, 3:52 am

I am going through quite a bad relapse and I still feel that I am bit different than the rest of you/us. My fasciculations are most severe in my arms, shoulders and trunk. They are not continuous but nearly everytime I move them, my biceps will twitch. The same for shoulders so it is often like 20 series per hour (by series I mean sequences of 10-X twitches).
But below the waist? Knee, sometimes..once a day a calf, maybe? Which is not that great and I feel alone with this presentation as majority, maybe all of you twitch in the calves and feet.
The arms and shoulders seems to be not that affected..
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Re: Arms, shoulders, trunk..and barely no leg twitching

Postby Sander on June 1st, 2013, 4:58 am

I'm twitching everywhere. Although it started in calves it soon spreaded to every part of the body. Twitching now for 11 months.
Latest time also very often in arms, hands, shoulders, sometimes tongue. Arms especially when I use them, one or two twitches right after moving my arms.
Had an EMG about 6 months ago which was clear, and at that time I also twitched in upper part of body. No fascics were found on EMG though.

So no, you're not alone...

Sander.
Sander
Interested
Interested

Postby bobajojo on June 1st, 2013, 8:58 am

Although my legs and feet are still going nonstop, most of my twitching is in my upper body. Mine ARE continuous. Everytime I take my shirt off, I can see them dimpling in my arms and shoulders. My tongue also flickers about once every few minutes and all over my tongue. I'll feel one in the front, then way in the back, then on the sides, etc. My forearms are the worst. The outerside of both forearms up by my elbow are twitching 24/7. It almost feels like a rolling twitch, or like a crawling feeling.

But Docen, its impossible for you to know how everyone else twitches. There are plenty people on here who twitch more in their upper body.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 11th, 2013, 1:18 am

Matt, thanks, but it is hard to have it like this because I know it is different than most people here. Basically,90% of my fasciculations are above the weist. Arms definitely the most affected, witch twitches like trembling, jumping. 6 years is a lot of time, I know..but with changing symptoms it is not that great. If there was nothing going with my motor neurons, there would not be change.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on June 11th, 2013, 4:03 am

Well I know I sound a bit like a briken record now but.... In my experience and the experience of my doc and of some twitchers I asked about it( especially the upper body twitcher group) the muscles that are most prone to twitching, are the ones that are most tensed. It does not necessarily mean that increased muscle tension is the original source of your bfs, but the muscles that are- for whatever reason- already prone to twitching will go berserk with tension. Overtension of upper body muscles is often caused by stress or also bad habits like pulling up your shoulders or a bad posture in front of your computer. One basic step to stop the continuous twitching of my right deltoid/ triceps/ biceps ans lower arm was to stop carrying my heavy bag on that shoulder. We are not aware of the tensionwe put on muscles. Maybe you can see a good physio that will help you with it. One of " my" newbies was so luckythat be had good access to physio therapy/ massages daily. It was painful and I remember one day he wrote me his muscles were so tensed that his physio took 1 hour to massage the tension out of his muscles and he was completely bruised afterwards. BTW this persons NFS symptoms were similar to mine and also after a virus infection. He also - due to an acrobatic job on stage- could not stop working out hard and extreme and daily. He had the shortest BFS duration I know so far, I think it was around 4 months as as a whole before he had stopped twitching and got rid of his extreme pain and stiffness. I know how some people dislike the role I give the mental attitude in BFS, but please at least consider the role that your muscle tension plays in BFS, no matter what the reason for that tension is.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby TyWebb on June 12th, 2013, 7:24 pm

TwitchyDoc wrote:Matt, thanks, but it is hard to have it like this because I know it is different than most people here. Basically,90% of my fasciculations are above the weist. Arms definitely the most affected, witch twitches like trembling, jumping. 6 years is a lot of time, I know..but with changing symptoms it is not that great. If there was nothing going with my motor neurons, there would not be change.

I have reviewed a ton of posts and it seems that change is to be expected. Several years ago I would point out my deltoid or biceps twitching to my wife and laugh about it. It was not until I was diagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrome and ulnar neuropathy that I ever cared about the twitches. That is when my doctor said he had ulnar neuropathy as well and ended up having ulnar translocation surgeries. He said he had hand weakness and it freaked him out so much he though he had a MND. I went from being fine with my diagnosis to scared as hell.

I am still a newbie, but 3 months into this, I am stronger than I was before. I don't like feeling like crap every 3rd day, but what else can we do but live our lives. So far, everything that I read would happen has happened. Every time I think I have a new symptom, I can find numerous people on here who "had" the same thing. Like the mild rigidity. Tremors. Hypersensitivity. Why I have them 1 day and then they are gone for the next week I have no idea. Three days ago I thought I was just fine....I mean I felt normal. Now I am back twitching in different places. My left arm which used to be the worst, is now pretty much normal. My calves used to go crazy, now they hardly even twitch, although I am sure they will start tonight!

Just a question. Have you had other health anxieties as I know they are common in the healthcare fields? I have.

You are not alone and twitching is far more common than I think you believe. We just twitch more than most and are bothered more by them. There don't seem to be a bunch of type b personalities on here! Hang in there.
TyWebb

Postby Noturnus on June 13th, 2013, 5:25 am

Man. You can count 2 on this.
My twithes are 98% above the knee.
My arms are the places where I twitch the most.
I change very much over time. There are weeks when I have very few twiches a day (maybe 5) and there are the ones when I twitch the entire day non stop.
When the twitches are very pronnounced, I fill a dull aching on my muscles, mainly on my arms.
It is VERY RARE for me to have twitches on my calves.

So. I am a upper body twitcher, just like you.
I have done 6 EMGs already (the last was made after 2 years of twitchings) and they where all clean.

On december I wil complete 4 years on this mess and I can walk, talk, play videogames and work like I did before all this started.
Noturnus
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management