Tongue Biting

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tongue Biting

Postby JStanz on April 5th, 2013, 10:57 am

Hello Everyone,

It seems like tongue biting is common amoung folks with health aniexties. I have been biting the side of my tonue while talking for a few weeks now (seems to get worse when I think about it). Does anyone know if this is a sign of bulbar als? I have no speech or swallowing issues that I know of.

On a good note, twitching has gone away for 2 months now :)

Thanks,

Joe
JStanz

Re: Tongue Biting

Postby twitchinjohnny on April 6th, 2013, 6:57 pm

I've discussed the tongue and cheek biting thing with a couple of neurologists. Both have told me not to worry, that this is more likely an anxiety thing and that bulbar ALS would not likely present this way. Slurred speech (as in sounds like you're drunk) due to poor tongue control, swallowing issues such as difficulty initiating swallowing, choking and aspiration, etc., difficulty chewing, and hyper-nasal voice quality due to poor palate elevation are more typically the presenting symptoms of bulbar ALS.

One of the neurologists with whom I spoke told me that she has issues similar to mine when it comes to biting her tongue during sleep. She also told me that these episodes usually occur when she's been stressed-out for a while.

Glad to hear that your twitching has relented! With ALS, twitching stops once the affected muscle is completely denervated, paralyzed, and for practical purposes, dead. So, if you're not twitching and you're still moving those muscles, you must have BFS.... not ALS! That's a good thing!

Cheers!

John
"If you're going through hell, keep going!"
Sir Winston Churchill
twitchinjohnny
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Tongue Biting

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management