BFS neck and joints

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

BFS neck and joints

Postby John_JR on June 28th, 2004, 8:43 pm

I just wanted to let everyone know once again that I've been able to link my BFS situation to my neck.

For the past month I've been having one of those irritating eyelid twitches again. You know the one that everyone says is "stress" related. Well the other day while lying on the couch I let my head hang off the side (probably not a recommended thing to do) backwards. Well, within minutes the twitch started going away!! Long-story-short, after a few ice packs on the back of the head/neck I've had significant improvement. For the past month, massaging and icing the eyelid has been a waste of time!

This is about the fifth time I've been able to "trace" the twitch to a nerve that is causing the twitch to another area of the body. Most of the time it’s been the top of my neck, and onetime to my hip joint. Maybe someone else here has had similar experiences.

Conclusion: Whatever is causing this BFS is localized in my neck and possible other joints. It seems to be "irritating" the nerve fibers that travel through these regions. I'm still of the opinion that this pathogen related.

The next time some of you experience another hotspot twitch (lasting a long time) that just won't go away, try various neck positions (holding for more than a minute) and or heat/ice packs to your neck/head region, and let me know. I had a twitch in my left foot once (over a week) until I discovered by positioning my leg/hip a certain way made it go away.
John R.
John_JR

I relate!

Postby Jayel on June 28th, 2004, 9:51 pm

John-

Your comments are of particular interest. I have herniated discs in my upper neck and when I sleep face-down, head turned (not recommended for my condition, but force of habit takes over at night!) I do find I may get some good thumpers in the arm, twitches in hand etc. I will try to reposition next time to see what happens!

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on June 29th, 2004, 7:04 pm

John,

I have degenerative discs in both my neck and back. MOST of my twitches are in my left leg -- the same leg I have sciatic nerve damage from a previous back surgery. My doctor thinks a narrowing between L4 and L5 is irritating that nerve. Of course, that doesn't explain the random twitches elsewhere, but they are not constant like the leg. YES, certain positions make it worse -- any bending of my leg. I have to sleep flat on my back now. I think, for some of us, this is a cause.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Update

Postby John_JR on July 24th, 2004, 3:51 am

Just getting over a nasty twitch in my left foot (3 days!). Once again I was able to discover my neck had something to do with it. Certian positions of my head/neck would make it twitch more or less, and ice would be very helpful. I think an infection must be inflaming this area the most, as most of my "hot spot" twitches seem to be coming from this area.
John R.
John_JR

Postby speg on July 24th, 2004, 10:52 am

Have you had your neck x-rayed?

I looked at a dermatone (sp?) map, and sure enough -- L-4/L-5 irritations affect the calves and feet. Guess where I twitch -- calves and feet. HOWEVER, my OS said if my EMG doesn't show up anything, he wants to x-ray my neck cause ANYTHING pressing on the spinal cord can cause problems anywhere in the body.

Peg
L-4/L-5 disc problems
Also disc problems in the neck
Calf and foot twitcher and buzzer
speg
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management