Anyone still taking Klonopin -and it helps?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Anyone still taking Klonopin -and it helps?

Postby marieclare on June 21st, 2004, 5:53 am

I am being driven crazy by major constant twitches and want to try Klonopin--I tried it one time last year and I thought it gave me a headache--I need to try SOMETHING or I think I will NEVER gt some good sleep--PLEASE HELP!!
mariecalre
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby puggriffey on June 21st, 2004, 10:20 am

Klonopin really didn't help me all that much, and it made me twitch like the *beep* when I tried to wean myself off of it. In general, I think you'll find that most meds really don't address the twitching.

As hard as it sounds to do, you're really going to have to get past focusing on the twitching and dwelling on how lousy you feel before you'll make real progress with the twitches. Your mind is perpetuating a vicious cycle right now, and your best bet is to try an Ambien or something for a night or two that will help you get some needed sleep, and then really dig through here and get comfortable that your situation is OK and it will pass. I wish I had better news for you, but I'm afraid the drug route has been a disappointment for many of us.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby marieclare on June 21st, 2004, 4:02 pm

Thanks so much for your straight- forward answer--- In my mind I know meds will not work as I have tried others....I saw some posts that Klonopin worked and I really did not believe it--I need ed to hear the negatives....I keep telling myself this persistent twitch on my leg will stop soon.......and I try to remain calm...
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on June 21st, 2004, 5:18 pm

I have found a couple glasses of wine or a xanax works better than the klonopin!

Do you mind me asking the specifics on your persistent leg twitch -- I have one too.

peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Floater on June 21st, 2004, 7:44 pm

klonopin 1 mg at bed time...works great here
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby Jenn311 on June 21st, 2004, 8:04 pm

hey mc,

what happened to your topical anti-twitch cream from the compounding pharmacy?

Jen :D
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Saundra Hearn on June 21st, 2004, 9:10 pm

I know this might sound kinda crazy, but it has been working for me the last week, I take one tylenol PM and I am sleeping so much better, and I am hardly noticing my twithces, and I was one of those with constant leg twitches, I also have been taking calcium-magnesium tablets. I don't know if this is what really is helping, but since I'm doing better, I'm going to keep it up!!
Saundra Hearn
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SusanSid on June 21st, 2004, 11:34 pm

Klonopin takes a good week to get a good a theurapuetic level (with taking it daily). In other words taking once will not give you it's full effect. You need to take it at least a week to begin to see it's effects. Same as going off of it. You must wean yourself off it, you cannot just stop it . It originally was intended for myoclonic seizures and has been discovered as a benefit for restless leg syndrome.
It works well for some people, but it isnt' a miracle pill. I took it for about 9 months for BFS and it only made me sleep better...but I felt tired during the day. I ended up stopping it and have not noticed any changes in BFS with or without it. Again, it's very individual.
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on June 22nd, 2004, 1:06 am

Not all meds work for each person the same. Some people do well on SSRI's, such as Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, etc. and other's don't, while some do great with Benzo's, such as Xanax, Ativan, Valium, etc.

Just like most people get ultra tired when they take Benadryl and other's get hyper. It just depends on how your individual chemestry works. If something doesn't work for you, tell your doctor or pharmacist and try another. God knows there are SO many meds out there available these days, it is silly to continue taking something that isn't working for you.
Arron

Postby marieclare on June 22nd, 2004, 6:59 am

I do put the topical cream on but the twitch is so huge it does not help--Now I have a major twitch on my side--it constantly spasms--and worst of all it wakes me up at night and today my hands are tingling--this goes from bad to worse--I really think i can't try any meds--I AM CALM--just tired from little sleep--maybe I should try the Tylenol pm--My neuro suggested a psychologist--HELP!! Does anyone else gt hand tingling? This is new for me.
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on June 22nd, 2004, 10:14 am

Marieclaire,

I still want to hear about your leg twitch!!! I am so worried cause my left calf has twitched 24/7 now for 4 weeks. I WISH my other calf twitched. But I have to admit, I do get random twitches, and lately BOTH EYELIDS are starting to twitch!

I also get numbness in my hands . . . they fall asleep every night.

Peg

P.S. Do you guys take a 1mg klonopin once a day at bedtime? Which doctor prescribes it to you?
Last edited by speg on June 22nd, 2004, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby speg on June 22nd, 2004, 10:15 am

My current shrink is anti-benzo and I am about to change doctors. She put me on Luvox which triggered this whole thing!
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby marieclare on June 22nd, 2004, 1:01 pm

My muscle at the top of my leg spasms constantly--Now a muscle on my side spasms--therefore i can't sleep--thside is new--the leg has been weeks off and on--Sometimes i can make it stop if I exercise on the stair machine really really hard--it stops then comes back a few days later--My hands are tingling like they are asleep--i woke up like that and it has not stopped--the side twitch woke me up! I may take a half ambien tonight and see what happens--I ahve the Klonopin, I am scared to take a benzo -especially if it wont help the twitches....sigh!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on June 22nd, 2004, 1:08 pm

Don't be afraid of the benzo. They are quite wonderful with easing anxiety!If you are careful, it won't become habit-forming. Klonopin aren't nearly as addictive as xanax in my opinion.
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby marieclare on June 22nd, 2004, 1:19 pm

What do you mean if you are careful? How long, I wonder, can you take them before becoming addicted?. I am so neurotic, which is why I am twitching like crazy....
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management