Cramping in calf

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Cramping in calf

Postby speg on June 16th, 2004, 8:57 am

I've begun to have tight muscles and mild cramping in my left calf, which is twitching pretty badly. I do get sporadic twitches elsewhere now, but my left calf is 24/7 rapid fire twitches. The cramps usually happen at night.

I'd appreciate some reassurance.

Thanks,
Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on June 16th, 2004, 9:21 am

Cramping is a part of BFS. If you have your symptomps only (or almost only) in one calf you should check if you have some disc problems related to nerves which are connected with that muscle.

Best wishes
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby speg on June 26th, 2004, 6:23 pm

Marcin.

I have an appointment with my back doctor on Monday. He said he can refer me to neurology. BTW, the twitching leg is the same leg where I had sciatic nerve damage many years ago. Can a disc problem cause twitching?

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on June 28th, 2004, 1:35 am

Off course !!!! Disc problems are one of the major reason of twitching.

Best luck on your visit.

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

calves

Postby rj45 on August 27th, 2004, 6:18 pm

It all started for me in the calves. I have been twitching for 2 months now, and 90 % is in my calves. Very soft tiny twitches you can hardly see. the entire muscle dosent move just a small twitch under the skin.Anyway my calves were so sore I could not walk on them without pain. Doc gave me klonopin and it has really helped. It dosent help the big thumpers I get though,like the one I got in my left forearm for the last 3 days nonstop.

Good luck

R.J.
rj45
Interested
Interested

Postby Heater on August 31st, 2004, 1:54 pm

I've found that taking Calcium supplements has reduced the amount of cramping I experience. The cramping I've experienced has not been much of the type where the entire muscle locks up and incapacitates you , but more of a sustained tightening, that remains sore and it is difficult to move the muscle. The worst was when my jaw locked up in right cheek, and under my chin. This would last for a few days at a time.

Now that I take about 1200 mg of calcium each morning, the cramping symptoms are reduced in frequency and most importantly, intensity. I'd suggest you try the Calcium for relief.

Heath
Heater

Postby Stephanie on September 3rd, 2004, 9:51 pm

Twitching and cramping are most common in the calves. My neuro said cramping is common with bfs. Even people who don't twitch commonly cramp in their calves, especially at night. I read about it all the time in health mags.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management