Involuntary Swallowing In Sleep?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Involuntary Swallowing In Sleep?

Postby carphia on July 11th, 2012, 6:08 pm

I have been experiencing this for the past three nights, consecutively. All three times it has scared the living bejesus out of me. I've have been abruptly woken up during my sound sleep by what I can only describe as a involuntary swallowing action my throat does, that causes me to wake up and choke until I can get saliva going back down my throat again (feels very dry when this happens). It also feels like my tongue is slightly paralyzed and slow in response for seconds while I try to re-swallow. Then again I am half asleep/awake when this happens. Very strange and very frightening to be honest :( . Anyone else ever had this kind of problem?

Carm
"Sometimes, that mountain you've been climbing, is just a grain of sand...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEQj6RrQbgA
carphia
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Involuntary Swallowing In Sleep?

Postby chrissi on July 12th, 2012, 5:18 am

Carmen, that involuntary swallowing was an issues that FREAKED me out too in the beginnings. And it also stayed longer than my other sx PLUS it comes back with every relapse. It is a very weird thing but I have talked to others that have it too. LOL, of course you will find it on my list too (I guess I am a superfreak...)
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Re: Involuntary Swallowing In Sleep?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management