Drugs are good, m'kay?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Drugs are good, m'kay?

Postby mbillips on June 12th, 2004, 9:12 am

Like a lot of folks here, I completely freaked when I started twitching (in February) after making the mistake of googling my symptoms. Huntington's Disease, ALS, MS, Parkinson's; I had 'em all. Of course, the LAST site I found was this one, which relieved my anxiety a little, but not enough to get my blood pressure down to normal.

My GP prescribed Lexapro, and BINGO, once it kicked in, I've gotten progressively better with almost no side effects (slightly repressed libido and some weight gain/exercise intolerance). Not saying SSRIs are right for everyone, but if you suffer from untreated anxiety disorder anyway and then develop BFS, it's probably a good idea to look into them.

Had a clean neuro exam (he didn't even bother doing MRI or anything other than physical exam) in May. I hardly think about the twitches any more when they pop up, and they don't cause me any worry.

The only real downside is that I'm getting fat and out of shape and THAT doesn't bother me, either.
mbillips
Interested
Interested

Great news!

Postby puggriffey on June 14th, 2004, 4:50 pm

That's good to hear about your progress. I ALWAYS like hearing about people getting past this stuff and being happy again!

I'm also experiencing a dramatic reduction in number/severity of twitching, pain, etc. I had a different experience - when I went on an SSRI, I had terrible side effects (severe anxiousness, dizziness, blurry vision, insomnia) that forced me off the medications. Interestingly, I had a dramatic overall improvement with STOPPING the meds, and my psych/neuro suspect that I was actually experiencing MORE symptoms because I was on the meds than I otherwise would have. Bottom line: in this whole arena, particularly when meds, physical therapy, behavioral therapy, etc. start factoring in to how we deal with this thing, I strongly suspect there is no one size fits all answer, and you just have to keep trying different things and grow in confidence that something will work for you.

My dad is on Lexapro and feels the same way you do - it has worked wonders for his depression and related symptoms, and he has NO side effects at all, so I'm encouraged to hear another promising post about it.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby Arron on June 22nd, 2004, 1:36 am

Not all meds work for each person the same. Some people do well on SSRI's, such as Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, etc. and other's don't, while some do great with Benzo's, such as Xanax, Ativan, Valium, etc.

SSRI's are long term meds that take several weeks before they "sink-in" and start doing their thing. The down side to most of these for most people is that the side effects in the beginning are really bad and can intensify BFS symptoms by quite a margin.

Benzo's on the other hand act fast, only last a few hours and do a great job, except for the fact that your body gets used to them and they lose their effeciency after a while. They are only a temporary fix, not a long term fix, although I have been off and on Ativan for 2 decades now and still use it from time to time to take the edge off.

Not all drugs work the same on all people. Just like most people get ultra tired when they take Benadryl, yet other's get hyper. It just depends on how your individual chemestry works. If something doesn't work for you, tell your doctor or pharmacist and try another. God knows there are SO many meds out there available these days, it is silly to continue taking something that isn't working for you.
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management