Pain whilst swallowing

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Pain whilst swallowing

Postby simsie on May 29th, 2012, 10:22 am

Hi,
For the last week or so I've been getting a shooting pain in the back of my neck when I swallow. My neck feels stiff on one side and I'm not sure whether it is also related but I've been getting a dry mouth for a while now and have a small painful lump in the floor of my mouth.

I am just wondering if anyone has experience this problem and, if so, any ideas on what causes it (as I'm not sure if it is related to bfs). Also, if someone has had the same thing, what did they do to deal with it.

Thanks in advance!
simsie

Re: Pain whilst swallowing

Postby korikos on May 29th, 2012, 11:37 am

Do you use any antidepressants??
korikos

Postby MarioMangler on May 29th, 2012, 1:06 pm

I get this kind of stuff all the time. It scared me first (obviously), but like pretty much every other BFS symptom, once you get used to it it just sort of fades into the background. Mine has been going on for about seven months and if I had to make a guess, I would guess it is just some combination of muscles spasms/muscle tension. I am guessing one side of your throat is spasming and the other side isn't, so your muscles get all tense and you interpret it as pain. Either that or maybe you just have allergies. Or maybe some combination of both.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby simsie on May 31st, 2012, 10:10 am

korikos wrote:Do you use any antidepressants??

No, I don't use any antidepressants.

I have also had a dry mouth for the last 8 weeks and a feeling when I swallow that is a bit like rubbing your finger over muscle knots. I guess this is some kind of muscle tension as I have felt twitching in neck muscles as well recently so I figure it is related to that. I just wondered if anyone had experienced the same thing with the pain in the back of the neck when swallowing.
simsie

Postby mike fla on May 31st, 2012, 11:50 am

It could be related to acid reflux and GERD. Those two things can cause the tightness in your throat and difficulty swallowing.
mike fla
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management