Looking for a little reassurance

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Looking for a little reassurance

Postby home20 on May 13th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Hello, I'm a new poster despite the fact that I've been reading these forums for about two months.

About two and half months ago I started getting random twitching in my right calve. A couple days later it started happening to the left calve and I started to get worried. Now before this I never really worried about my health but of course I googled twitches and we all know what happens next. My symptoms since then:

-twitches in feet, calves, upper legs, hands, stomach (rarely), around both eyes, even a muscle on the side of my head above my ear was twitching for an evening. The majority of the time these days it's around my eyes mostly, and then legs, but in particular this week I've been worrying about my left hand and of course I have a small twitch in my hand today.
-a buzzing sensation in my hands and feet mostly, also legs rarely.
-occasional stiffness in my calves

I've been to my GP and he wasn't worried, but I've been ridiciously anxious since it all began. I was wondering what other sufferers do to deal with the anxiety of thinking every little thing is a new symptom to worry about? I'm going to get my GP to refer me to a neuro for an EMG and ask about anxiety medication as well, as this is taking over my daily life, when I think I shouldn't be so worried for being 25 years old.

Thanks for reading this far, and for any tips you can give.

Devon.
home20

Re: Looking for a little reassurance

Postby plainslady on May 13th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Devon,

My twitching started 9 months ago tomorrow in my right calf. I thought it strange but didn't worry too much until it began in my left leg, and from there went all over my body. I share the buzzing, vibrating feelings in my extremities...Today it seems to have settled in my right thigh. It's funny you mention concentrating on your hand and now experiencing twitches there. I hadn't had tongue twitching except for occasionally throughout this ordeal, but after reading a post a couple of days about it, my tongue has been driving me crazy. It is not uncommon for those of us here to have things like that happen, so I want you to rest assured you are not alone.

You have found the right place here. We have all gone through the initial panic that takes over your life, the trips to GP's who are unimpressed and the trips to the neurologists. I for one have never had an EMG because my neurologist was confident after my clinical the twitching was benign. But there are many here who have gone to the best of the best when it comes to neurologists from all over the world. I'm sure you are going to get lots of responses, in the meantime, please read (and if you've already read them, re-read) the stickies. Things like BFS in a Nutshell. I remember how scared I was Devon, and it is a natural reaction to what seems like a hostile takeover of our bodies. I'm happy you've found us and hope to be able to help you answer any and all questions you may have.

Hang in there,
Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby bobajojo on May 13th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Devon,
I can't do any better than Frances did. But I can tell you that like you both, my twitching also started in my right calf, then I noticed it in my left, and then all over. What you are describing very mucn sounds like BFS. Your GP probably wasn't concerned because you are functioning normally. Thats how BFS is. You can twitch from head to toe all day long (like me), including the tongue, but have 100% functionality in every muscle. I hope you take Frances's advice and read "BFS in a Nutshell". Please try to lower your anxiety... your story sounds so much like the many great people on this forum! -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby KatieMG on May 13th, 2012, 6:09 pm

I have been twitching for the same amount of time and started with similar symptoms. I too am struggling with the anxiety and am now in therapy and trying some anxiety meds to calm me down. Best of luck to you and don't worry, we can all relate!
KatieMG

Postby Yuliasir on May 13th, 2012, 11:16 pm

Hi Devon, you are doing everything perfectly right (except googling for twitches) - widespread twitches, especially those in calves and periocular muscles, are quite innocent thing :) So antianxiety medication and neuro exam just to see if there is no hidden issues related to trauma, endocrine or circualation problems would probably help a lot. Should be, as for many many of us. Twenties is very stressful part of life (as any years since we leave mother's womb, to be honest), and BFS in very young people is so common!

regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on May 14th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Devon,
First off, rest assured that your story is one of BFS, and not one of something sinister. The sooner you accept that the easier dealing with new symptoms will become. The struggle with new, strange symptoms is one that all of us have gone through or are currently going through. Peoples means of coping differs by individual but I would definitely consider medication until you can handle your anxiety better. I personally did not use medication during this stage but others have and had promising results.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on May 14th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Devon,
First off, rest assured that your story is one of BFS, and not one of something sinister. The sooner you accept that the easier dealing with new symptoms will become. The struggle with new, strange symptoms is one that all of us have gone through or are currently going through. Peoples means of coping differs by individual but I would definitely consider medication until you can handle your anxiety better. I personally did not use medication during this stage but others have and had promising results.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby lcanela on May 21st, 2012, 2:43 am

Hi Devon. Please trust me you are fine. It happened to me exactly as it happened to you.

Advices:
1 - chill out!!!!... Yoga is great for that, please try it inmediatelly.
2- try taking some antioxidants like C and E Vitamin.
3- sleep well.
4- you can try some stuff like magnesium.(if it does not help it will be however good for your health).
5- pro biotics are good for you.

Finally... Trust me as soon as you relax your symptoms will decrease, I just dont mind it anymore at the point that I almost dont realise if I have twiched or not. Only when I think of it i start twiching ( or maybe I realise I twich).

Anyway relax and dont stop your life for this, think it is not cancer not aids nor any other horrible disease.

We are lucky!!!!

Best regards!

Are you from London? We could meet.

Cheers.
lcanela

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management