Teeth hitting while talking???

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Teeth hitting while talking???

Postby KatieMG on May 11th, 2012, 6:45 pm

I know this isn't directly related to BFS, but I just needed to post about it. For the past 4 weeks my teeth are hitting when I am talking. Not every time, but only with certain sounds and letters, etc.

This is making my anxiety VERY high because it bothers me a ton. Could this be a jaw issue? TMJ issue? I asked my dentist and she offered me no support and told me to see an oral surgeon. I just feel like this is another thing for the docs to look at me like I am nuts.

Has anyone experienced this or have any insight? My teeth are actually getting sore from hitting one another and I don't even want to talk a lot for fear of it happening again.

HELP!
KatieMG

Re: Teeth hitting while talking???

Postby Seepi27 on May 11th, 2012, 7:17 pm

KatieMG wrote:I know this isn't directly related to BFS, but I just needed to post about it. For the past 4 weeks my teeth are hitting when I am talking. Not every time, but only with certain sounds and letters, etc.

This is making my anxiety VERY high because it bothers me a ton. Could this be a jaw issue? TMJ issue? I asked my dentist and she offered me no support and told me to see an oral surgeon. I just feel like this is another thing for the docs to look at me like I am nuts.

Has anyone experienced this or have any insight? My teeth are actually getting sore from hitting one another and I don't even want to talk a lot for fear of it happening again.

HELP!

Katie, I'm no expert - except in anxiety - but it sounds very much like anxiety to me. A few weeks ago, I heard someone talking about how their tongue felt fat, and the very next day, I had the same sensation. Plus my lips felt too big - as though I'd had collagen injections which were excessive, you know what I mean? I also imagined that I was slurring words when I wasn't. Maybe by focusing on your teeth, you're actually making them hit together - who knows? But we both know that anxiety fuels a lot of our symptoms, so I definitely wouldn't rule it out.
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tessa on May 11th, 2012, 8:05 pm

Katie..I went through a period of time where I kept biting my cheeks. It took a while but after I quit focusing on it I stopped doing it. Right now you are just hyper aware of everything in your body and things that would have been a non-issue become front and center in our minds. Try to relax and focus on something different but don't be surprised if it doesn't go away immediately. Best wishes.
tessa

Postby KatieMG on May 11th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Thanks for answering :) I am sure its a combo of anxiety and TMJ since I am clenching my teeth all day and night right now. It just helps to hear if others also experienced it. Makes me feel less crazy :D
KatieMG

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management