Worried about new symptoms

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Worried about new symptoms

Postby Willh on April 26th, 2012, 6:23 pm

Hello,

I'll try to keep this short and concise.

I've had twitching, some cramping, weird sensations, a lot of problems with my right leg/ankle and anxiety, all for almost a year now.

Been to a neuro who wasnt concerned, did MRI and EMG and some eye test and all were normal.

Recently i got a new symptom which was some numbness in the front of my shin, like a patch of almost all of my shin and around it but not my calf. This concerned me....

Recently went to a physio as i have scoliosis, told him about this numbness and that id been to a neuro. he got me to walk on my heels, tested my resistance strength and my reflexes (the quads on my right leg had a big reaction when tapped on my knee, ie my leg went flying compared to my left leg). he said no weakness was present although i did say to him that its harder to curl up my toes on my right foot and maintain that compared to my left.

What he did notice was that i have smaller muscle bulk on the right side than the left which did not make me happy....he didnt seem hugely concerned but thinks 'something is going on with a nerve in there somewhere'.

I saw my gp this morning to order an x-ray of my spine as requested by the physio just to check up on my scoliosis. i told him about the numbness in my shin and my leg symptoms and he said something like 'the muscles in the legs depend on the nerves to maintain tone etc, if there is some kind of entrapment or something going on with a nerve it can cause ATROPHY!?!!?' i said oh cant it be just that im walking more on one leg more or something and he said thats unlikely. so that did not inspire confidence!!

any thoughts?? ive had this problem with what felt like my right ankle before, feeling weaker, stiff etc which seemed to go away but i think came back after i went for a run. i know there are lots of posts about stiffness, perceived weakness etc, but im just concerned that the smaller muscle bulk, numbness, stiffness is all occurring at the same time on this leg.
Willh

Re: Worried about new symptoms

Postby raindog on April 26th, 2012, 7:57 pm

The only time i saw a physio she said i had significant right sides weakness ..... i also have big area on my outer thigh left leg that is numb neuro said that this was classic meralgia paresthetica ...numbness as never really concerned me as its sensory nerve and that says nothing MND/ALS. My right sided weakness is more than likey due to my stenosis , i also have chronic devernavtion and flat lower limb reflexes , and i'm assured its nothing nasty. 6 years into this condition i'm still alive and kicking and i can assure you will be too :wink:
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby plainslady on April 26th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Just last Wednesday I went to a well respected neurosurgeon who did an clinical exam and told me I had issues in my right leg, that the leg was obviously WEAKER than the left. Well, needless to say, I about had a coronary. I'd etched that work "WEAK" into my brain early on with BFS and my mantra became "if you're not weak, it's not the nasty." Now I had a doctor using the four letter "W" word with me. He could see the worried look all over my face, the increased sweating, the flushed red face and asked me what was wrong. So I explain to him what I've been going through the past 9 months and he says, to paraphrase,"you're going to scare yourself to death if you associate all weakness with MND. 99%+ of the weakness I see is due to nerve entrapment and injury. You need to throw your mantra out the window."

Soooooo, I know what it feels like to hear the words we dread....weakness, atrophy, etc. But I learned in that visit MND shouldn't be on my radar.

I also have scoliosis, and my left upper body and right lower body are visibly more developed than the other sides. This has something to do with the way my body compensates to keep me walking as upright as possible, to make up for the curve and twist in my spine. I learned this about 10 years ago during a round of physical therapy. Thankfully I learned about that long before any of this BFS began, or I'm sure I would have freaked out over it.

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby Willh on April 26th, 2012, 9:12 pm

thankyou both for your replies, they are both quite comforting.

im getting this x-ray of my spine soon and i expect id probably get an MRI of it at some point to see what is going on with nerves in my spine.

i had been told in the past that one leg was longer than the other and i hence had a pelvic tilt etc and i know this can cause muscle asymmetry but i thought my legs were the same length now....i never really properly followed through with all the physio i had before and i hope i havent now been walking around with a nerve being pinched for ages and perhaps permanent damage to it....

ill update after ive had the x-ray and seen the physio again. so far neither physio or gp have said i should go back to neuro. but i might if i keep being concerned.
Willh

Postby plainslady on April 26th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Sounds like you are on the right track. My legs are technically the same length, but my tilted pelvis actually makes my right leg "shorter" because of the tilt of my pelvis. I have to wear a heel lift to even things back out. If I don't do that then I put strain on my right hip, knee, and ankle joint. I notice lots of problems in the summer when I'm wearing flip flops all the time and don't wear the heel lift. My right ankle is aching right now as I type, along with the nonstop popping and creaking it makes from the joint being damaged from all the uneven wear and tear. Please do update...I'm always interested in what my fellow curvy scoliosis friends find out.

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby sussemaus on April 26th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Hey Will, what leg is longer than the other? Is it the same one that you're having pain in? I don't have scoliosis (as far as I know) but my right leg is longer by about half an inch and I have pain in that hip (and accompanying burning and tingling down that leg) too. Never made a possible connection though!
sussemaus

Postby Willh on April 26th, 2012, 9:53 pm

I'm not sure which leg was longer and whether it still is. I'll ask the physio next time I see him to have a look !
Willh

Postby Syraboy on May 2nd, 2012, 8:59 pm

Hello. I am a PT and have had BFS for over 20 years now. I also have significant muscle assymety in my right leg. I have no weakness or have never had weakness. In my practice i would say over 90 % of the people have assymety of some kind. After 20'years of this stuff, you would think you get used to it, but it still bothers me. I'm glad and blessed to be bothered by this. Oh and I have significant GAD disorder and medicated. Works for me. Wish you well.
Syraboy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management