Help - twitching inside mouth or maybe inner ear?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Help - twitching inside mouth or maybe inner ear?

Postby sussemaus on April 26th, 2012, 2:32 am

Hello all, am having a really stressful twitching day and need some support. :roll:

This morning I had a new and slightly scary experience waking up. I was in that zone just between sleep and awakening and I suddenly became aware of a rhythmic twitching(?) feeling in my mouth. Very steady, very consistent beat for about a minute at least. I kept my eyes closed and poked around in my mouth with my tongue for a bit (to see if it was tongue twitching) but it kept going. I then yawned, felt my ears pop a bit (like they do when landing a plane) and it stopped altogether! Has yet to come back. Quite a strange feeling and I don't even know where it came from (The palate? The back of the tongue? Or the inner ear?). Has anyone experienced this strange internal twitching before?

Also to go with my GERD (which I bought some medicine for today), I also noticed yesterday that I have two scallop marks (dents) on either side of my tongue. These are new and a bit worrisome. They are also quite uncomfortable so I guess I must be biting on my tongue or pushing it against my teeth. Trying to remain calm as I g o o g l e d (sigh) it and found that it can also be a sign of sleep apnea or TMJ or even hypothyroid so I'm really trying not to stress out about it. :shock:
sussemaus

Re: Help - twitching inside mouth or maybe inner ear?

Postby Yuliasir on April 26th, 2012, 2:50 am

If you make a search here for inner ear twithcing, for sure you will find several topics about it. Inner ear muscles are the same muscels as any other in our body so they can twitch and create buzzing, ticking etc. I think bobajojo was reporting this and for sure many other people here experience it.

As for tooth marks on the sides of the tongue it is also not uncommon here on forum.

regards
Yuia

(I feel like I am a nightwatcher for US part of audience - I am in the middle of working day here!!!!)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Shanny63 on April 26th, 2012, 5:18 am

hi there, i get ear twitches, they are like having a small helicopter inside your ear, sometimes it feels like a small drum...ive had it for years..as for the dents in the tongue lots of people have them me included...its just from your teeth pressing against your tongue...just remember wherever u have muscle it can and might twitch..hope this helps....hugs shanny :D
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby KatieMG on April 26th, 2012, 8:58 am

Don't freak about the teeth marks. Due to anxiety and stress I am clenching my jaw 24/7 and that is what is causing the teeth marks. I am pretty sure I have TMJ since I used to wear a nightguard and now I don't. If you notice your jaw is bothering you, go to a dentist and see if you need a nightguard to wear while sleeping.
KatieMG

Postby mwagner on April 26th, 2012, 4:56 pm

I have the eardrum twitching as well! In fact, I had it for a long time, and then it went away for a long time, and now it's back. It's really odd, but I'm so used to it at this point. Super common.

I have TMJ and clench my teeth all the time, so I also have the grooves in my tongue. So common.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby plainslady on April 26th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Yes, had the ear twitch. Thought there was a moth in my ear, very disturbing to say the least. I also am a chronic clencher, complete with a tongue with tooth marks. You're not alone.

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby sussemaus on April 27th, 2012, 10:06 am

Two days later hasn't happened again. Actually really good to hear though that others have experienced this. Big relief! This board is a sanity saver.
sussemaus

Postby johnnythejet on April 27th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Been there, done that. :)
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management