devils claw

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

devils claw

Postby tarewa on April 23rd, 2012, 7:43 am

Hello, My wife has been diagnosed with bfs a few years ago in an academic hospital: the standard twitchings of calve and other leg muscles as I often see mentioned on this forum.
during nights very often nasty cramps, fortunately mostly only calve, but sometimes on both sides which doesn't allow stretching the muscle back.
Anyway, together with the neurologist of the hospital she tried the usual treatments: large amount vitamin E, C, nothing works. Gabapentine she doesn't want to use because she feels like a zombie with it. In the meantime I've studied every scientific publication which has been printed (fortunately I work at a university and have access to most scientific publications), but we didn't find anything which could be a helpful clue.
Sometimes the cramps disappear for months and suddenly appear again. Stress is certainly of influence we noticed.
Lately she bought a small bottle with devils claw pills containing Harpagoside. It's freely available and has no toxic effects from what I understand. It looks that this has some positive effects on the cramps when she uses its for a longer period. It could be however a placebo effect of course. It's not a double blind test. I didn't see in this forum any mentioning of this herbal medicine. anybody positive or negative experiences?
tarewa

Re: devils claw

Postby ImOK on April 23rd, 2012, 11:34 am

There is no end to the stuff that bfs and bcfs'ers have used - we are a very determined group. Devil's claw is slow-working but is a possible sub for NSAID's - I did't notice any decrease in cramping but a decrease in pain. Also had a bit of a stomach issue - needed to take with food or starches. You've prob already seen this but here http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... l/984.html
they say its anti-inflammatory properties are possibly why it works. In the end I dropped all the trials and stuff I was taking (except for some additional antioxidants and sometimes immune boosters when there is a lot of sickness at work) and settled on meditation. Not to say they didn't work just that it is really difficult, with a trial of one, to know if its working or not but......
:lol: don't knock the placebo effect - whenever we can use our minds to overcome a problem I see that as a plus.

Bad cramps - esp at night - I found the best relief to be warmth - hot pads, etc. For me, useless to try to stretch them out - just seemed to irritate it - but massage often worked. Anything that increases circulation in the area will help.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on April 23rd, 2012, 12:12 pm

the herb sounds terrific!!!! :)))

I was used to have nasty night leg cramps too. My method of relief is also warm clothes (cotton trousers are Ok) and increaed liquid intake, especially in summer (natural mineral water). As ImOK says, massage is always good too.

regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management