Steroids and Antibiotics

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Steroids and Antibiotics

Postby chicagobfs on March 14th, 2012, 5:14 pm

3 weeks ago I got really bad strep throat and got antibiotics that didn't seem help, then I got same antibiotics with some other compound and one "shot" of steroids. In a few days my throat felt much better, however I also had much less twitching than usual, actually none... this lasted a few days and then I came back to "normal". I was wondering if this was just a coincidence or actually was somehow related? I don't think that antibiotics by itself were responsible for decreasing twitching because I was trying this "way" before for much longer than 10 days.... Maybe antibiotics+steroids had this effect? Please let me know whats your opinion.

Stay healthy !

Sew
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Re: Steroids and Antibiotics

Postby raindog on March 14th, 2012, 7:04 pm

chicagobfs wrote:3 weeks ago I got really bad strep throat and got antibiotics that didn't seem help, then I got same antibiotics with some other compound and one "shot" of steroids. In a few days my throat felt much better, however I also had much less twitching than usual, actually none... this lasted a few days and then I came back to "normal". I was wondering if this was just a coincidence or actually was somehow related? I don't think that antibiotics by itself were responsible for decreasing twitching because I was trying this "way" before for much longer than 10 days.... Maybe antibiotics+steroids had this effect? Please let me know whats your opinion.

Stay healthy !

Sew

I had a bad bout of Asthma about 3 years ago, i was in A/E and i was given a course of Prednisolone, i noticed a big decrease in my symptoms too. I have mentioned this a few times to my doctors , but they say in the longer term they are not the answer.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on March 14th, 2012, 7:17 pm

this type of reaction would seem to point to an autoimmune cause for your bfs since steroids decrease your immune system.

take care,
gary
garym

Postby Shanny63 on March 15th, 2012, 7:01 pm

i had exactly the same thing happen to me when on prednisolone....my twitching stopped...of course we all cant live on prednisolone or steroids but it is interesting when something does stop the twitching isnt it....
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby plainslady on March 15th, 2012, 9:18 pm

While on steroids for a nasty sinus infection my twitching stopped dead in its tracks.
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby jorge on April 5th, 2012, 5:53 am

garym wrote:this type of reaction would seem to point to an autoimmune cause for your bfs since steroids decrease your immune system.
take care,
gary

I agree with Gary, this indicates that the BFS symptoms are autoimmune related.
The excellent “BFS in a Nutshell” text by Arron:
http://www.nextination.com/aboutbfs/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=203
informs that “there have been some theories that BFS starts after an illness such as a bout of the flu or a bad sinus infection, which would make some think it has to do with some sort of autoimmune response or post viral response”.
This theory makes sense to me, but I believed that this autoimmune response was temporary and that it left behind some “damage” on the nerves, thus causing the symptoms.
What you guys are describing here suggests that the autoimmune problem is continuous. Maybe the immune system irritates the nerves day and night to the point of developing the BFS symptoms, but it does not damage the nerves badly, like on degenerative diseases.
jorge

Postby dreadpirateroberts on April 17th, 2012, 12:29 pm

I most definitely believe that mine is an autoimmune issue and that is also true for the great majority of us. My belief - one that my neuro thinks has merit - is that the flu bug I got just before the symptoms started triggered something in my autoimmune system. When the bug was beaten, my immune system "turn off" switch malfunctioned and has been on ever since. It is seeking other targets now - my muscles/nerves, but no damage (hopefully) is being done. As anecdotal evidence, I just had a weekend flu bug (the nasty type, fever, aches, vomiting, etc) - and while in the middle of it, my already bad twitching became increasingly severe to the point where the twitches themselves became not only more numerous but also stronger (more cramping). I'm over the this latest bout with the flu and the BFS/CFS has gone back to its "normal" levels. I was kinda hoping this second flu bug would fix the switch, but it didn't. My neuro has discussed prednisone, but as was mentioned, it wouldn't be a cure and other things could go wrong while the immune system gets weakened.
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Postby Jujulia on April 17th, 2012, 2:40 pm

dreadpirateroberts wrote:I most definitely believe that mine is an autoimmune issue and that is also true for the great majority of us. My belief - one that my neuro thinks has merit - is that the flu bug I got just before the symptoms started triggered something in my autoimmune system. When the bug was beaten, my immune system "turn off" switch malfunctioned and has been on ever since. It is seeking other targets now - my muscles/nerves, but no damage (hopefully) is being done. As anecdotal evidence, I just had a weekend flu bug (the nasty type, fever, aches, vomiting, etc) - and while in the middle of it, my already bad twitching became increasingly severe to the point where the twitches themselves became not only more numerous but also stronger (more cramping). I'm over the this latest bout with the flu and the BFS/CFS has gone back to its "normal" levels. I was kinda hoping this second flu bug would fix the switch, but it didn't. My neuro has discussed prednisone, but as was mentioned, it wouldn't be a cure and other things could go wrong while the immune system gets weakened.

Technically speaking, if I take Prednisone (which of course I'm absolutely not planning to do) and my twitching subsides, can I be almost certain that my twitching is an autoimmune issue and not the symptom of something more sinister, if you know what I mean? I also got a bad flu just before the symptoms started (big cramps for several weeks and then the twitching...)
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby Aoi on April 17th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Technically speaking it's not nearly that simple. Yes, steroids often do suppress immune function and can reduce the effects of some autoimmune disorders. But taking steroids and seeing a reduction in your BFS symptoms (if that happens) would not prove that BFS is an autoimmune disorder. Correlation is not causation, in other words.

But all my research on BFS to date strongly suggests its autoimmune in nature. Specifically, it seems to involve an autoimmune attack against the voltage-gated potassium channels in nerve cell (neuron) walls. The K+ channel is compromised, which results in nerve dysfunction, and that in turn leads to the various neuromuscular symptoms/signs of BFS. Or so goes the thinking I've come across to date.
Aoi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dreadpirateroberts on April 19th, 2012, 8:31 am

Yes, but if your symptoms did diminish then it would be very likely that it is your immune system that is the culprit. As Aoi states, though, getting relief through an immuno-depressant doesn't necessarily prove anything. But BFS, as well as many other autoimmune conditions, is dx'd in large part by elimination of other conditions. That's why many of us have had 1000 different tests run. Trying prednisone and getting relief would be another strong marker in the diagnosis of BFS as an autoimmune issue.
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management