It just can't be anxiety, can it??? Have a look...

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

It just can't be anxiety, can it??? Have a look...

Postby englishdave on February 10th, 2012, 10:16 am

Ive only been round this forum for a couple of months, but this is long enough to deduce that the majority of members are intelligent, erudite, SANE people.

For those like me, who until recently, knew little about anxiety and the way it presents / manifests, it is massively difficult to accept that SOME of our symptoms are, for whatever reason, caused or worsened by anxiety.

This website lists some of the issues which can be caused by anxiety. I was amazed and, in my darker times, somehow comforted by reading this page.

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

Dave.
englishdave
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: It just can't be anxiety, can it??? Have a look...

Postby Silverbullet on February 10th, 2012, 10:45 am

Anxiety can present itself in many forms for different people, after all we are individuals. The website you are referring to is very good, I have seen it before. They are obviously making money also because it is very well marketed.

Regards Martin
Silverbullet

Postby johnnythejet on February 10th, 2012, 10:51 am

Anxiety has caused or worsened soooooo many symptoms for me. During each case I may not have attributed to anxiety (probably thought it was a disease), but looking back over the years I know my mind has caused most of it. These weren't imagined symptoms. They are very real.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on February 10th, 2012, 10:59 am

I have to add that I think the general intelligence of the people on this board (and I have to say that I'm really taken aback by how intelligent people are here...), contributes to anxiety. People on here are always seeking answers. They say a large percentage of BFS sufferers are in the medical field. I think it's because they are educated and aware of neurological illness and have a little extra anxiety (medical student syndrome) when it comes to health.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby plainslady on February 10th, 2012, 1:29 pm

To answer the question posed in the subject, I believe it can. When I first came to this board I had a list of 150 symptoms. My main ones besides the twitching were dizziness, trouble swallowing, sweating, severe flushing, tremor, migraines, loss of peripheral vision, night terrors and chest pain. The only proof I can offer that these were all anxiety related is they don't exist anymore. Since my anxiety is being treated and at a manageable level, I don't live with these symptoms every day. The moment I start to get anxious though...BAM...they return.

I believe most frustrating for me was believing that when my anxiety was down my twitching would disappear. I experienced a second wave of panic when all the other things disappeared except for that. I twitch nothing like I did back in August and September, but they are still there and they do flare up from time to time. I have also gained things I didn't have when this all started: buzzing, tingling, jerks, hot and cold sensations and various other sensory issues. Perhaps they were there all along but my mind didn't recognize them with all the other junk I had before. I doubt I'd notice buzzing when I felt like I couldn't breathe and had severe chest pain...know what I mean?

At any rate, the more I deal with my anxiety and do things good for myself, the less I notice all of it. I'm not constantly scanning my body for every little feeling which makes most of it fade away into the background. I still have those days when the stabbing sensations and tingling is at the forefront, but at least I don't send myself into a panic over it anymore!

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby MarioMangler on February 10th, 2012, 2:10 pm

The Anxiety Centre is a great site. They are the people who helped me the most in my early days with BFS. I would highly recommend anyone go by there and become a member, you will learn a lot about yourself and what adrenaline/stress chemicals can do to your nervous system.

And yes Mitra is correct. I firmly believe that for most of the people here, the problem is that we are just too smart. Too much intelligence and not enough activities to occupy our minds = problems as you get older. And then of course the more you know about things like neurology, the more you start to overanalyze your body. And then you are just in trouble.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby englishdave on February 10th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Hi Frances... it was a tongue in cheek type question, but a little while ago it really was how i felt. It has taken me an age to accept certain things are really anxiety fuelled, or indeed somatic. in fact, if Im honest, for me it is still a work in progress.

The issue is that we can be victims of our natural or acquired intelligence and our highly developed sensitivity.

They are fantastic, positive traits, but for us they need to be harassed.
englishdave
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby plainslady on February 10th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Dave,

We're on the same page. It concerns me sometimes when people aren't willing to admit what our minds can to to our physical health. I always think back to listening to my mom when she was completing her clinicals and she told me about a lady she met who looked 9 months pregnant but wasn't pregnant at all. Her mind was able to replicate a pregnancy in her body...holy moly. That's crazy! So its not a reach for me to think some of our physical symptoms can be manufactured by a mind functioning in an unusual manner.

I want newbies to understand how much a role our minds play in our bodies. The link you provided was truly a God send for me back in the early days of this battle.

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby englishdave on February 10th, 2012, 3:38 pm

It sure is a great place to learn. i remember i would read through the list of symptoms each nught before i went to sleep... It really was a battle between me and my sub-concious.

Maybe someone can add the link to one of the sticky posts?
englishdave
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Silverbullet on February 10th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Hi there,

Here is another site based on the CBT approach for managing anxiety/depression and phobias. It come under the umbrella of 'Psycho Education - Self Help. This is basic info but I know when I am in a bad place I forget the real basic stuff!

http://glasgowsteps.com/home.php

Regards Martin
Silverbullet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management