Alcohol suggestions

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Alcohol suggestions

Postby cheeky-pie on February 10th, 2012, 9:37 am

Hiya peeps

So far my antioxidant enriched diet is having positive results and cutting down on sugary food, I feel that certain food is interacting with my BFS plus IBS :)..

But I have a slight issue with alcohol as last night i had 3 glasses of wine and got slightly tipsy, then the whole of last night and this morning my WHOLE body was on fire with twitches... Resulting in me being very fatigued and missing my early morning eye appointment :(

Does anyone else have this problem with alcohol and can you suggest any drinks that doesn't effect your twitches?

Kat
cheeky-pie

Re: Alcohol suggestions

Postby johnnythejet on February 10th, 2012, 9:45 am

Are you sure you just weren't hung over?

When I drink I usually stick to hard liquor, like a glass of bourbon on the rocks. Not the most girly of drinks, but maybe you will like it. :)
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby cheeky-pie on February 10th, 2012, 9:55 am

Cheers I will give that ago :)

No i wasn't really hungover this morning, but just don't like the extra twitching that i got last night and early this morning :( Well my body was relatively quiet to the wine having a depressant effect on the nervous system, then BAM last night it was pay back lol

Note to self try hard liquor he he
cheeky-pie

Postby mwagner on February 10th, 2012, 11:03 am

We all twitch after we drink - it's inevitable because it throws our electrolytes off. I would say three drinks of anything is enough to do that. I suggest drinking some gatorade or pedialyte before you go to bed, to get the electrolytes back into your system.

That being said, it's so nice when you drink because at least with me - my twitching practically stops. Such a nice reprieve for a while, but then I pay for it the next day.

Red wine is good for you, so continue drinking it! :)

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Silverbullet on February 12th, 2012, 4:54 am

I like red wine, tooooo much!!! :D

Regards
Silverbullet

Postby ImOK on February 12th, 2012, 3:16 pm

When my symptoms were bad, I had the best luck with vodka (clear liquors in general with fewer congeners - look up 'congeners in alcohol' to read about these by-products of fermentation). LOL you can add antioxidants to it (pom-cranbery juice) for your new diet. There is even some out with the Acai fruit in it (it's good but pricey).

I've known several people who've had trouble with the sulfites in red wine - you could try finding some without (health food store) as sensitized systems like those with bfs don't need any extra irritation.

I agree that hydration is important and also,it was very hard to give up red wine for me. Thankfully I can drink it again with my symptoms abating.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby Silverbullet on February 12th, 2012, 3:41 pm

OK will give it a go!! but when I was young I was violently ill with vodka!! On the phone to God!!! :shock:

Regards Martin
Silverbullet

Postby plainslady on February 12th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Grey Goose, 7up, lime, and salt (lots of sea salt in my opinion) is my favorite nerve tonic. Works great with minimal side effects.
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on February 12th, 2012, 11:57 pm

I'm kinda partial to highland park with a drop or two of water.....or vodka tonic with a splash of cranberry.
garym

Postby Silverbullet on February 14th, 2012, 12:48 pm

plainslady wrote:Grey Goose, 7up, lime, and salt (lots of sea salt in my opinion) is my favorite nerve tonic. Works great with minimal side effects.

Frances, what is Grey Goose, like to give it a go if I knew what is was :D

Martin
Silverbullet

Postby plainslady on February 14th, 2012, 2:11 pm

Grey Goose is French vodka. I can drink it straight. YUM!

Having a Long Island Iced Tea right now. Pretty tasty nerve tonic too!
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby Silverbullet on February 14th, 2012, 2:14 pm

I have a glass of Carva!! :D
Silverbullet

Postby Ghayes420 on February 16th, 2012, 1:46 am

plainslady wrote:Grey Goose, 7up, lime, and salt (lots of sea salt in my opinion) is my favorite nerve tonic. Works great with minimal side effects.

Are you my best friend?

Replace Grey Goose with Belevedere and we are twins Plainslady!

Great for the twitches and the anxiety. Always in moderation!

8)
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby paulhp on March 11th, 2012, 4:37 pm

cider cider cider :D
paulhp

Postby Lorenzo17 on March 13th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Drink +/- 0,5 liter an hour before you go to sleep. - 50% less twitches the next day(s).
Dehydrated muscles will twitch even you don't have a hangover. This is a normal proces of the body even with non-bfs persons
Lorenzo17
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management