Pins and Needles & Electric Shock Symptoms with BFS?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Pins and Needles & Electric Shock Symptoms with BFS?

Postby sandy3 on February 6th, 2012, 1:11 pm

Whereas I see "pins and needles" described as one of the symptoms that people with BFS may have, I haven't seen much discussion about this. I was diagnosed with BFS in Dec, 2010. I am wondering if anyone experiences "pins and needles" or electric shock symptoms and what they do to manage it?
sandy3

Re: Pins and Needles & Electric Shock Symptoms with BFS?

Postby johnnythejet on February 6th, 2012, 1:19 pm

I experience the pins/needles and occasional shock, and have for 6.5 years. It doesn't bother me that much by now so I don't need/use any specific methods for management.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby plainslady on February 6th, 2012, 3:20 pm

I may be the queen of pins and needles. :D The sensory symptoms of BFS have been the worst part of my experience, especially since the twitches have died down. Mine had gotten to the point of being painful and disrupting my sleep. The electric shock symptoms are most prevalent in my legs and arms, occasionally in my abdomen. At a recent basketball game I literally jumped out of my seat from the electrical shock that ran from my hip to my heel.

As far as treating this, I've started Savella (an SNRI) which is helping me immensely thus far. I also take Ultram for the pain when it is at its worst. Lots of hot baths, massage, and Biofreeze are must have's as well. I also receive steroid injections in L5 and S1 as most of my pain is related to the paths of these nerve roots.

I've noticed that my sensory symptoms increase on days when the twitching is diminished. I almost rejoice when the twitches are bad because I know I won't hurt as bad on those days. I've seen a litany of doctors and the only solid diagnosis I have are 1.severe anxiety 2.fibromyalgia 3.severe double major scoliosis 4. BFS. These four things seems to account for the majority of my maladies as every diagnostic test comes back clean.
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby sandy3 on February 13th, 2012, 5:25 pm

johnnythejet wrote:I experience the pins/needles and occasional shock, and have for 6.5 years. It doesn't bother me that much by now so I don't need/use any specific methods for management.

Thank you Johnny for replying to my post. I admire you that you are able to function without letting the pins/needles and shocks bother you. What tips would you have for not letting them bother you?
sandy3

Postby sandy3 on February 13th, 2012, 5:33 pm

plainslady wrote:I may be the queen of pins and needles. :D The sensory symptoms of BFS have been the worst part of my experience, especially since the twitches have died down. Mine had gotten to the point of being painful and disrupting my sleep. The electric shock symptoms are most prevalent in my legs and arms, occasionally in my abdomen. At a recent basketball game I literally jumped out of my seat from the electrical shock that ran from my hip to my heel.

As far as treating this, I've started Savella (an SNRI) which is helping me immensely thus far. I also take Ultram for the pain when it is at its worst. Lots of hot baths, massage, and Biofreeze are must have's as well. I also receive steroid injections in L5 and S1 as most of my pain is related to the paths of these nerve roots.

I've noticed that my sensory symptoms increase on days when the twitching is diminished. I almost rejoice when the twitches are bad because I know I won't hurt as bad on those days. I've seen a litany of doctors and the only solid diagnosis I have are 1.severe anxiety 2.fibromyalgia 3.severe double major scoliosis 4. BFS. These four things seems to account for the majority of my maladies as every diagnostic test comes back clean.

Thank you Plainslady for sharing your story! I appreciate it! Yes, pins/needles are awful, I totally agree! How long have you had them for? You mention that your twitches have died down - how long did you have them before they started dying down?
sandy3

Postby Aoi on March 19th, 2012, 12:42 am

Lots of these. Actually these pins, needles, and electric shocks, plus numbness and tingling are collectively called "parasthesias," and my doctors put "pain and parasthesias of the extremities" on my chart (I'm not officially diagnosed with BFS/CFS). I have far more of these than I do fasciculations, and the ones in my legs are sharp and strong enough to make me stumble, or just stop walking entirely.
Aoi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Tom_65 on April 1st, 2012, 6:43 pm

For the past couple of weeks, I've had a "sensation/pain" in my inside of my thigh (inside the knee) and also in my lower abdomen. It's tough to describe - almost like the sensation that you feel if you were to touch a 9v battery to your tounge, just not as strong...kind of a dull-electric type of pain. Is this the same as you guys have experienced?

It's in the leg that has tremors like mad at night, and also the same leg that I get pins and needles in my toes. Do you find that it affects one particular leg/arm/side/region? How long does the electrical shock sensation last for you?
Has anyone found anything that helps to ease the pain?
Out of my mind - Back in 5 minutes
Tom_65
Interested
Interested

Postby sandy3 on April 8th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Aoi wrote:Lots of these. Actually these pins, needles, and electric shocks, plus numbness and tingling are collectively called "parasthesias," and my doctors put "pain and parasthesias of the extremities" on my chart (I'm not officially diagnosed with BFS/CFS). I have far more of these than I do fasciculations, and the ones in my legs are sharp and strong enough to make me stumble, or just stop walking entirely.

Hi Aoi, thanks for comments. I am wondering - what have you found to manage the "parathesis" symptoms? Are you taking certain drugs - what about exercise? Does that help?
sandy3

Postby plainslady on April 9th, 2012, 12:59 am

Sorry, just now saw your question from forever ago. My twitches dies down considerably after 3-4 months, but I do still have them. I would say they are 80-90% better than during the first few months. Lately I have had more issues with sensory symptoms...the pins and needles always and a strong buzzing sensation in my legs and arms. Thankfully the strong buzzing only lasted 4 days or so this time around. I have it from time to time now but nothing like it was just last week. As for what helps or aggravates it, I really don't know. It's pretty unpredictable in my experience. I used to think caffeine made it worse, but that hasn't panned out. I do know lowering anxiety and stress, along with exercise has helped more than anything.

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby Aoi on April 9th, 2012, 9:32 am

sandy3 wrote:
Aoi wrote:Lots of these. Actually these pins, needles, and electric shocks, plus numbness and tingling are collectively called "parasthesias," and my doctors put "pain and parasthesias of the extremities" on my chart (I'm not officially diagnosed with BFS/CFS). I have far more of these than I do fasciculations, and the ones in my legs are sharp and strong enough to make me stumble, or just stop walking entirely.

Hi Aoi, thanks for comments. I am wondering - what have you found to manage the "parathesis" symptoms? Are you taking certain drugs - what about exercise? Does that help?

I do regular exercises, including yoga and weight-lifting, as well as taking walks, though I can't say they are necessarily that long or vigorous. Hot baths, showers, and a heating pad help, as sometimes does an ice pack. Massage is useful too. I'm on clonazepam (Klonopin), and have been tried on gabapentin (Neurontin), amitripyiline (Elavil), and valproic acid, though these three had no benefit.

Since I posted the entry above, I've been found to have low serum vitamin D and B12 due to malabsorption. So I'm being tested for celiac disease, and also being treated for hypothyroidism (levothyroxine daily) and monitored for thrombocytopenia, probably caused by immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), but they're not sure yet. In other words, I have diagnoses that may cause or contribute to having parasthesias. And as I said before, I do not have a BFS/CFS diagnosis (I just hang around here because I get a lot of useful ideas for managing certain symptoms :) ).

Given what's gone wrong with me (mostly my immune system), some of my doctors have said I'll simply have to live with the parasthesias and other BFS-like symptoms for the rest of my life. I hope to prove them wrong.
Aoi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management