St. John's Wart

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

St. John's Wart

Postby Jeanine on February 2nd, 2012, 9:17 pm

Has anyone taken St. John's Wart for BFS? The anxiety mainly is what I'm curious about.

Jeanine

Re: St. John's Wart

Postby allmylove16 on February 3rd, 2012, 10:05 am

I was looking into it also for something to take once I taper from my AD. I researched it and it can interfere with other drugs so I am hoping that I can just come completely off celexa and not need anything. If you try it please give us a report of how it works for you.

Shelly
allmylove16

Postby Silverbullet on February 3rd, 2012, 11:53 am

I tried it a long time ago, it just made me feel rather tired. Hi Shelly, how long have you been taking Citalopram ?

regards
Silverbullet

Postby Jeanine on February 3rd, 2012, 1:14 pm

I'm on the fence about trying it. I'm not a big meds person. I'd like to avoid it if I can, but some days I just feel overwhelmed. I will definatley get back to you guys if I try it.....

Be well :)
Jeanine

Postby wjjw on February 3rd, 2012, 1:43 pm

Jeannie,

Trying stuff is fine, but you should realize that BFS unfortunately has a mind of it's own. Experience has shown that there has been very little that it responds to, with two exceptions. One is that exercise or increased stress can increase it--this is normal, as even people without BFS can cause a few twitches from running, lifting weights, or being stressed out. The other is a definite and dramatic response to a Google search, when the victim types "twitching" into the search box and presses ENTER.

Other than that, I highly recommend a relaxed attitude of acceptance. At the same time, realize that even though stress increases it, a total removal of stress will not make it go away. You can totally relaxed and still experience a flare up. Also, have patience. It took me years to experience a long remission. Don't let them overwhelm you--they're really no big deal. :)

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby Jeanine on February 3rd, 2012, 2:09 pm

Bill,

I love your outlook on this whole thing. I know you're a long time twitcher and I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I know you are so right!

I really try to stay away from meds if I can help it. I was overloaded with them when I was young, (JRA at 5 years old) I despise having to take anything now.

Thanks again!
Jeanine
Jeanine

Postby chicagobfs on February 4th, 2012, 10:51 am

It is a safe supplement to try, didn't work much for me though. If it doesn't work for you try 5-htp.
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby chicagobfs on February 4th, 2012, 10:53 am

Also since you are from California watch out for the sun. It says on the Box that you should avoid sun exposure :wink: I want some sunnnnnnnnn and warm weather :(
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby Jeanine on February 4th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Thanks! I think I've talked myself out of it though........gonna try to beat this anxiety on my own. Wish me luck!
Jeanine

Postby Jeanine on February 4th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Bill,

This morning when I woke up at 4 (which is the norm for me now), I repeated what you said in my head (relaxed attitude of acceptance) over and over and over and actually got back to sleep!

Thanks!!!
Jeanine

Postby Jeanine on February 4th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Oh and Chicagobfs, it's almost 70 here today! I'll send some warm weather your way, promise :D.
Jeanine

Postby Silverbullet on February 6th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Hypericum perforatum (St. John's Wart) Being Photosensitive, beware of strong sunlight you might burn easy. Never mix with SSRI's, SNRIs or tricyclic antidepressant or you could run the risk of Serotonin Syndrome and possible death! Sorry for that rant !! To be honest It just made me feel tired when I tried it. Try and avoid any Psychotropic medication if you can..... I know a little bit about this one. Apologies if sound like a know it all!!!

Very best Martin
Silverbullet

Postby Jeanine on February 6th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Thanks for your advice Martin. I've decided to not take it, even though my left heel is vibrating right now and the right side of my face by my ear feels "numb". I feel like I could use something right now, but gonna tough it out :(.
Jeanine

Postby jerry2 on February 7th, 2012, 3:39 pm

I used it for 2-5 months, didn't help any of my problems.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby Silverbullet on February 7th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Hi Jerry, The problem with St. John's Wart, in the UK is; there is no standardisation, so your luck depends on the retailer's preparation. There is anecdotal evidence of St. John's Wart helping individuals with anxiety and mild depression. It is not clear how much is a placebo effect or genuine clinical effectiveness. Likewise with modern anti depressants the picture is not clear on their effectiveness either. 'The Myth of Biological Depression' is a compelling read and throws the whole concept of serotonin imbalance on it's head. In fact brain autopsy's have found huge amounts of serotonin dumped into basal ganglia due to taking SSRI and similar medication.

Regards Martin

PS. I would like to add people take these medications for years without any notable side effects
Silverbullet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management