Strained/tired chewing muscles

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Strained/tired chewing muscles

Postby TwitchyDoc on January 13th, 2012, 3:36 am

Well..I am getting gradually more concerned as my masseter muscles seem to be tired easily. When I eat sticky stuff like muffins, my mounth feel soo tired that I even have to wait for a few seconds. This really stresses me as the weakness could present this way. Anyone has experienced this with BFS?
Thanks
Docen
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Re: Strained/tired chewing muscles

Postby twitcherHH on January 13th, 2012, 5:50 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:Well..I am getting gradually more concerned as my masseter muscles seem to be tired easily. When I eat sticky stuff like muffins, my mounth feel soo tired that I even have to wait for a few seconds. This really stresses me as the weakness could present this way. Anyone has experienced this with BFS?

When you eat food that's hard to chew like muffins or if you chew on something like cold gummy bears, your masseter muscles will tire. This happens to me too and I think this is normal even in people without BFS.
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby bailyloves on January 13th, 2012, 7:25 am

i too have similar issue twitchydoc ,to me ,it seems as part of bfs
bailyloves
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby fargo on January 13th, 2012, 7:37 am

That's a clear signal from your body, TD ! Change your diet :)
I had that too, no more of that now..
fargo

Postby Jujulia on January 13th, 2012, 9:16 am

Hello twitchydoc,

I have had the exact same problem a while ago. I think I've posted here about it but I'm not sure anymore. For several days, I literally had to take little breaks while eating dinner because my cheeks/jaw felt tired. Even my tongue felt tired at that time. I was scared to death back then. Now, I could not tell you if this was all real or if my anxiety caused it since I was very preoccupied by bulbar signs. All I can tell you is that everything went back to normal after a while and now I don't have this problem (or perceived problem) anymore. I hope I'll never have to experience it again...

P.S. Now I'm stocked with a continual buzzing feeling (that I've been having for a few days) in my left leg + the usual random twitching. I never get a break...
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby angusglover on January 29th, 2012, 3:40 pm

TwitchyDoc wrote:Well..I am getting gradually more concerned as my masseter muscles seem to be tired easily. When I eat sticky stuff like muffins, my mounth feel soo tired that I even have to wait for a few seconds. This really stresses me as the weakness could present this way. Anyone has experienced this with BFS?
Thanks
Docen

I have this with every muscle in my body.....drives me nuts!!!
"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"
angusglover
Saint
Saint

Postby Simonaa on January 29th, 2012, 4:00 pm

I have that too :( :evil: :evil: :evil:
Simonaa
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby PetrifiedGuy33 on January 29th, 2012, 4:35 pm

I rememeber when I was most freake dout about bulbar fears a few months ago I couldn't finish a bagel, i eat about half of it and it was such hard work chewing it and my mouth got so tired I just gave up....but that was at the height of my anxiety, in the last couple of months I have had zero swallowing/chewing problems, possibly because my anxiety has decided to refocus elsewhere and is now on my leg.....the thing is the mouth/tongue are is the most prone to somatisation i.e. thinking about doing stuff there or getting anxious about stuff there can actually lead to the stuff you are concerned about occurring - a self-fulfilling prophecy but I would be absolutely astonished if there was anything in this in your case, to the best of my knowledge you have twitched for a number of years, for that to happen for that length of time and then suddenly to have a bulbar onset makes absolutely zero sense and would possibly mean they'd have to rewrite all the medical books.....anyway, easy for me to see but I'd bet my house that it's not related to the thing you fear the most, having gone through it myself it's the easiest thing in the world to focus on worst case scenarios and that only makes things worse but this too, like everything else, shall pass, just get comfortable with it, give yourself a break and accept the possibility that it most likely is not anything to worry about and slowly watch the symptoms fade

fact is almost everybody's mouth gets tired when they eat food that requires a lot of chewing.....the difference is 99.99% people accept the reality that tired mouth does not equate to something to worry about, freaking about it, analysing it, thinking of every chew only makes the anxiety worse and the problem worse so as I said go easy on yourself
PetrifiedGuy33
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby whatmeworry on January 30th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Had this occur incidentally 3 times in the last few months. Almonds were tough to eat. Comes and goes goes for me but seems to be related.
what, me spell?
whatmeworry

Postby cenkay.a on January 31st, 2012, 12:59 pm

i think you will find everyone, not just people with bfs or a disease will have jaw muscles that tire when chewing chewy things
Twitching since December 2010
cenkay.a
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management