Iberogast

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Iberogast

Postby mike fla on December 12th, 2011, 10:39 pm

About a week ago I ordered Iberogast to help me deal with some digestive issues. It is difficult to find Iberogast in the US but is supposedly very popular in Europe. I've been having problems with acid reflux, upper abdominal pain, suppressed appetite and upset stomach for the last 3-4 weeks. I also have a history of several years of stomach and acid reflux issues. At any rate, I took my first dose of iberogast (20 drops in a cup of water) tonight and was very pleased with the results. My appetite tonight could be described as voracious. I ate a half chicken, green beans, and rice but was actually still hungry. I then munched on some pretzels and apple sauce and had some hot tea. I had no pain or stomach discomfort at all! For comparison two days ago I ate a 6-inch sub and was completely full afterwards. I also had quite a bit of indigestion afterwards. I am not saying this is a miracle drug but I will continue to post on how I feel as a result of taking this medicine. Iberogast is a tincture with 9 separate herbs that deal with different aspects of digestion. It is known to be a tonic and calms the entire digestive system down. It is also supposed to be good for dealing with things like Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I pasted an abstract on Iberogast below.

[Iberogast: a modern phytotherapeutic combined herbal drug for the treatment of functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract (dyspepsia, irritable bowel syndrome)--from phytomedicine to "evidence based phytotherapy." A systematic review].

[Article in German]

Saller R, Pfister-Hotz G, Iten F, Melzer J, Reichling J.

Source

Abteilung Naturheilkunde, Departement Innere Medizin, Universitätsspital Zürich, Switzerland. [email protected]

Abstract

Iberogast is a complex herbal preparation. As a fixed drug combination (9 constituents) it is composed of a fresh plant extract of Iberis amara and of extracts of 8 other dried herbal drugs ( Chelidonii herba, Cardui mariae fructus, Melissae folium, Carvi fructus, Liquiritiae radix, Angelicae radix, Matricariae flos, Menthae piperitae folium). The pharmacological effects as well as the therapeutic effectiveness, tolerability, and toxicity of Iberogast were experimentally and clinically recorded and documented using modern investigation tools. Both the experimental as well as the clinical studies indicated a regulatory influence of Iberogast on the whole gastrointestinal tract by a special dual action. While the included extracts of the dried herbal drugs have mainly spasmolytic properties, the fresh plant extract of Iberis amara has a tonic effect on the gastrointestinal tract. Depending on the predistension of the gastric or intestinal wall, the tonic or the spasmolytic effects of Iberogast prevail. Both the fresh plant extract of Iberis amara and the combined preparation of Iberogast were found to be toxicologically safe in therapeutically effective doses. For the estimation of the clinical effectiveness a systematic review was performed (data research: January 1970 to September 2002). As shown in controlled (according GCP standard) as well as supportive and uncontrolled clinical studies, the symptoms of functional dyspepsia and of irritable bowel syndrome (one controlled study and one observational study) could be significantly reduced by these herbal preparation in comparison to placebo. Two trials comparing Iberogast with the prokinetics metoclopramide and cisapride demonstrated a comparable therapeutic effectiveness of the herbal preparation and the prokinetics in the treatment of dyspepsia. Adverse events were rare and, with respect to frequency and spectrum, partly the same as found with placebo. Another advantage of Iberogast is that it targets only the gastrointestinal tract and the enteral nervous system, but not the central nervous system. Because of its special dual action, its clinically proven effectiveness, and its good tolerability, Iberogast may be a drug of first choice in the treatment of functional gastrointestinal diseases and their corresponding symptoms.
mike fla
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Iberogast

Postby chrissi on December 13th, 2011, 4:22 am

Hey, good to see it helped you too. I find it most helpful when you feel kind of having a "knot" in your stomach and no appetite and are kind of nauseous.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Re: Iberogast

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management