Face symptoms

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Face symptoms

Postby Lilly111 on December 9th, 2011, 11:47 am

Hi everyone, I am getting hyper-focused again and could really use perspective. I am wondering if anyone might have had a similar experience. I have had a strange sensitivity on the right side of my face for more than a week coinciding with more twitches on my lips. I have been touching my face so much and now when touching the other side of my face, I notice a difference. One side of my face is fuller than the other. The side with the symptoms is less pronounced. Do others have this kind of facial asymmetry? Have others had facial sensitivity? My sensation runs below the cheek, primarily near the boney part of the jaw from the ear to the lip. I had an emg on my face but it was above my eye only and not in this lower part. I am thinking I need to have them check this specific part of my face. Please let me know what you think, even if it is a message admonishing me for being overly obsessive.
Lilly111

Re: Face symptoms

Postby jerry2 on December 9th, 2011, 12:10 pm

See my other post of my hand assimetry. Where I look I find severe assymetry.

Since day 1 of the twitching my left side of the face feels number but it is not, I still feel it, but it is like the skind would be more tense there.

Asymetry means nothing. You found it because you have some cheek problem now ;-)
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on December 10th, 2011, 6:48 am

I had it exactly there, I am sure if you look forsome older posts of me you will find me complaining about it somewhere..a weird tickling numbish feeling. In Germany we havea word for that :"furry", wich means a feeling as if you had fur on this place, wich makes you feel less intensive there, but not really numb (as if you had a local anaesthetic there and these were the last stages of the numbness vanishing). I had it for some weeks or months, exactly from the ears to the lips along the right jar bone....it vanished at some point, but sometimes comes back for a day or so.
As for face assymmetrie...everybodys face isasymmetrical, and really A LOT. You would lookn like a completely different person if you had symmetrical face sides. My left side is my "fuller" side, it is also my "better" side for taking pictures LOL, so I always hold that side to the camera :wink:
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Lilly111 on December 11th, 2011, 10:34 am

Hi guys,
Thanks so much for responding. Chrissi, I'm glad to know you had this. Did you get lip twitches and tongue twitches too that sometimes coincided with the face symptom. Also Chrissi, you might know this. What is the deal with ALS and pain. Does ALS relate to pain in the muscles, like cramping? I ask because of the pain in my face. It is on my cheekbone. My anxiety is going way up with these new symptoms.
Thanks a lot for responding.
Donna
Lilly111

Postby chrissi on December 11th, 2011, 11:16 am

Yep, the face symptoms and especially the lip tickling/buzzing often coincide with the tongue twitches. I often had tongue tickling (often especialy at that side where the face stuff was) and later discovered that this electrical buzzing/zapping was tongue twitches. Good I didn't see that in the beginnings, I would have freaked out then 8)
ALS pain is from real cramps (not crampy feelings) or spasticity. Cramps always hurt like hell, in ALS, BFS and normal people....if you ever wanted to see a stranded whale with 80 extra-pounds hardly able to move along the day jumping out of bed like a gazelle, you should have seen me in pregnancy with my night calf cramps....
BFS pain is ( excepting the real charlie horse cramps that are also normal in BFS) neurogenic pain, there is no real "reason" like hurt tissue for this pain, it is sensory. This kind of pain does not occur in ALS, it is typical for BFS and Fibromyalgia/CFS. Which does not mean that is does not really hurt, me and kstoruck and I bet a lot of the others had lots of face stuff including face pain.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Jujulia on December 11th, 2011, 11:56 am

Hi Lilly,

If you take a look at my older posts, you'll see that I've complained about face pain too. My cheeks - especially my left one - hurt too, and sometimes, even my forehead hurts + I get twitches once in a while everywhere on my face : temples, cheeks (either a rapid contraction or a couple of "heart beat twitches"), chin, nose, eyelids, tongue, palate... just about everywhere. I know it's not funny and pretty scary... :?
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby johnnythejet on December 13th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Sensory symptoms like this are quite common for the face, and other areas for that matter. I have always had a lot of face symptoms including twitching in many areas.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby ucdguy88 on December 13th, 2011, 2:25 pm

I get fatigued in the face/cheek/mouth with some tongue twitches it depends on how bad the day has been and if i've been drinking alot.
ucdguy88

Postby mike fla on December 13th, 2011, 3:13 pm

You have to remember that this is a disorder characterized by hyperactive nerves. For some people this means just twitching. For others it can mean muscle cramping and fatigue while in some people it means sensory symptoms and itchy skin. I am not saying that these symptoms don't suck because they really do, but the ties to anxiety is obvious. If your nerves are already hyperactive and then you become anxious it is going to make your nerves even more hyperactive. For me I found that once I started worrying about my stomach alot of my muscle cramping and twitching became less prevalent. It is almost like my brain is focusing on one area or the other and that is where the symptoms become most prevalent. It is also why sometimes when I am very active and my mind is not focused on my health I don't even notice the BFS or stomach stuff.
mike fla
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby carphia on December 14th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Lily,

In response to facial sensitivity, I get that very often. In fact I have a flair up right now, of something that I can only describe as "surface of the skin buzzing with slight numbness" on the edge of my brow bone on the left side of my face. It's always the same spot, and never intensifies, and it is not a twitch. More like some sort of sensory problem. I also get lower lip twitches from time to time. I noticed when my stress levels are up both symptoms of mine go off the charts..... hope this helps, it's all part of BFS :D

-Carm
"Sometimes, that mountain you've been climbing, is just a grain of sand...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEQj6RrQbgA
carphia
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on December 14th, 2011, 3:00 pm

Today my nose was buzzing and tingling all the time...for the first 2 hours I constantly tried to remove this invisible hair on my nosetip, then I gave up.... :? Face stuff can be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo odd...
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Jujulia on December 14th, 2011, 3:17 pm

lol Chrissi...

Last summer I had that ''invisible hair'' feeling on my left arm and really thought I might have MS until the MRI came back clean...!
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby johnnythejet on December 14th, 2011, 6:03 pm

chrissi wrote:Today my nose was buzzing and tingling all the time...for the first 2 hours I constantly tried to remove this invisible hair on my nosetip, then I gave up.... :? Face stuff can be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo odd...

All this stuff is daily for me, and has been forever seemingly. It allows me to konw that my skin is still there.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management