Need perspective - tongue twitch and other scary stuff

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Need perspective - tongue twitch and other scary stuff

Postby Lilly111 on November 2nd, 2011, 12:27 am

It is one in the morning, and after tending to one of my kid's dreams, I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror only to notice a random twitch on my tongue. I am freaking out. It was on the side of my tongue that appears less muscular. It has happened more than once in this area and it is very gentle. It doesn't affect the whole tongue. As for other symptoms, I also get twitches that you can't see, and I also am very worried about why I have this sensation on my arms. I don't know if any of you have tried meditation, but it is sort of like when you begin meditation and you have an urge to itch in multiple areas of your body. Except I am noticing it on my upper arms primarily. When I gently place my hands on my arms it stops. Anyway, I keep going to med boards to figure out what my symptoms are. Of course, I bump into people with ALS who are kindly sharing their symptoms with anxious and undiagnosed people. I never inquire, but spend an inordinate amount of time reading old posts to look for assurance. I can't stand it. When will this nightmare end?
Lilly111

Re: Need perspective - tongue twitch and other scary stuff

Postby Shanny63 on November 2nd, 2011, 12:45 am

Hi Lilly, tongue twitches are very common, just remember that anywhere there is a muscle it can and will twitch at some point...I get tongue twitches quite often..irritating yes but benign....as for the feeling on the arms I had that for ages at the start of my bfs journey...my skin felt tingly, then itchy, then like worms under my skin, just plain irritating...Not trying to preach but try to avoid dr google...he seems to heighten our anxiety and make this worse.....best wishes to u Shannon...
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on November 2nd, 2011, 4:53 am

Lily, the tongue fasciculations are concerning if they are continuous (non stop and multifocal in distribution, not just one fascicle) and/or accompanied with tongue issues like difficiculty in speaking, swallowing, chewing or moving food around your mouth. If you have fasciculations on other places, then tongue muscles (tongue is composed of more interlacing muscles) can be affected as well, though it is not so common as e.g. calves.
My first tongue fasciculation was more than year ago and I was terribly depressed..you can look up my post. I definitely know how you feel. But look, its been a year and I am well..so are others with tongue twitching here.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Lilly111 on November 2nd, 2011, 5:55 am

My tongue twitch is in the same area though. So it flickers once and a while, but in the same spot. Is this potentially a bad sign. i also have an intermittent burning sensation on my mouth.
Lilly111

Postby TwitchyDoc on November 2nd, 2011, 9:55 am

Lily, twitching in just one place is very good sign, meaning there is hyperexcitable just one fiber or axonal ending (not sure if these terms apply in english). Do not worry!
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Lilly111 on November 2nd, 2011, 10:02 am

I just realized that you are named twitchy doc. I am so curious how you came to learn all of this?
Lilly111

Postby mwagner on November 2nd, 2011, 10:10 am

Lilly/Donna,

Use the search feature in the box on the upper right of the screen and put in tongue twitching. You will be reading posts all day long from people who have tongue twitches, which seemingly start later after other fasiculations. You aren't alone!

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby bfshopeful on November 8th, 2011, 7:18 pm

I used to get them much more, but I had a lot of tongue twitching....its scary but not harmful
"It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."
bfshopeful
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management