Antibiotics, antyvirals, antyfungal

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Antibiotics, antyvirals, antyfungal

Postby chicagobfs on October 11th, 2011, 10:55 am

Just wandering how many of you tried ? My doc wants try all of these ( not all together )and see if anything help. I know few of you was taking antibiotics without any Relief.

Say healthy

Sev
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Re: Antibiotics, antyvirals, antyfungal

Postby chrissi on October 11th, 2011, 3:31 pm

?!? Was this an idea of your GP or of your neuro? I personally would not do that. He would see on your blood if you had a bacterial infection, and systemic fungal infections in people with healthy immune system seem quite rare for me. If I would try one at all, I'd go for the antivirals.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby plainslady on October 11th, 2011, 6:25 pm

I found out I had a major sinus infection and double ear infection a few weeks ago. I'd been putting off going to the doctor for several weeks even though I was having awful sinus headaches. Only when my face swelled and the left side of my face turned red and burned with a fever did I give in and go. My white blood cells were insanely high! I was given a steroid shot, two antibiotic shots, and a ten day course of antibiotics. it may very well be coincidence, but my twitching has dramatically decreased since the infection cleared up.

I should add that the antibiotics were taken around the fifth week after starting Zoloft which has helped tremendously with my anxiety. I have wondered though if the infection was playing some role in my symptom severity.

~Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby chicagobfs on October 12th, 2011, 12:10 am

It is my GP idea, since there is a few stuff that actually it's hard to find trough blood test like Lyme, candida etc. My all tests obviously are fine, at least were when all this started 2 years ago. I'm somehow willing to try and see if it will work or not. What you are guys thinking ??
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby fargo on October 12th, 2011, 8:04 am

I was on abx for nearly 4 months. Started with doxycycline for the first 3 weeks which I must say actually did make me feel better. I definitely had more power but then metronidazol came which gave me all sorts of new symptoms. I ended up taking biotraxon /ceftriaxon/ intravenously.
In the meantime I took some other ones the names of which I don't remember now. As before the symptoms appeared I suffered from over 2 month insomnia and severe cough these drugs helped me in that field. I slept like a baby but they did nothing for my twitching they even increased it. Altogether I think and feel much better off now without them. If anybody wants to give it a try I'd recommend doxycycline but personally would stay as far as possible from them.. I think they helped me with sleeplessness because they influenced my autoimmunological response that is they made the system less sensitive. Once I put them off I began to have sleepless nights again ... Now with a diet and a couple of supplements I get by :) By the way, I took them as I thought I had lyme - tests where borderline positive so my doc recommended them..
fargo

Postby kstoruk on October 13th, 2011, 4:38 am

Don't, you won't get any results and just mess up your system more as every medicine has side effects, i tried antivirals (acyclovir) and antibiotics (cipro, tinidazole and doxy) to no avail, i didn't try antifungals but why would you try this if there is no proven fungal infection, usually those are pretty darn nasty and happen in hiv or post chemo patients so i don't think you fit the bill, i think your gp is being careless, that being if it's his ideea and not yours :).
kstoruk
Hero
Hero

Postby fargo on October 13th, 2011, 10:03 am

Actually some antifungal did me good , dont't remember its name now but I remember I felt better - and this was the one I was most afraid of as it was bad for the liver..I wanted to try it again but couldn't find a doc that would prescribe it..
fargo

Postby mwagner on October 13th, 2011, 10:11 am

I'm guessing the antifungal is if this is related to candida, but I think there are other ways of treating candida (with diet for example) that wouldn't require an antifungal.

I am not sure that taking antibiotics or antivirals for BFS is a good idea, unless it's proven that you do have an underlying virus or bacteria in your system. I'm one that is concerned that we're creating super bugs (antibiotic resistant staph for example) from taking too many antibiotics. Plus, antibiotics can contribute to cause yeast overgrowth (candida) and then that could further contribute to twitching and anxiety (according to things you read about candida).

Just a thought. I'm certainly interested in hearing whether they help if you take them.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby kstoruk on October 14th, 2011, 4:23 am

I will get on an low fat, gluten free diet for a while and report back.
kstoruk
Hero
Hero

Postby fargo on October 14th, 2011, 12:49 pm

The name of the antyfungas was Fluconazole. I took it along with antibiotics so can't really tell its effect when taken on its own. By the way, as far as diet is concerned I went on a radical diet - for two years I drank nothing but water or fresh juice. i think if you really want to see the difference you have to cut down on stimulants / coffee, tea, coke, etc/ and sugar / sweets,etc/ . Now I drink 2-3 cups of green tea which doesn't increase my twitching. At the moment as I write this I 'm only twitching in my right calf where I have a damaged nerve / spine problems confirmed by MRI/ ..Not that bad :) No pains, no spasms, occasional brain fog/ that's the worst for me - I'd rather have muscle pains/. Before , for example, as I was waking during a sunny day I felt drizzle on my face and on my lips - very strange.. Also I couldn't touch any metal objects / I couldn't open my own door with my keys/ - I felt kind of electricity running up and down my arm:) There were plenty of others. My blood pressure went down considerably - used to have 120/80 , then within weeks It went down to 90/60. God , I felt weak..Now I connect it with too much magnesium supplements. Now my blood pressure is 110/75, not so bad. Actually the less suplements I take the better I feel except vit.D ..Since I started my 'diet' I haven't been sick /except bfs /.From the beginning I was following Eric's recommendations /everybody knows Eric Gredney, right? :) although he doesn't talk much about fats /I was mainly on flexseed oil/. I got rid of all the chemicals / no perfumes , no washing powders, no- you-name-it stuff/ . I went all organic. I don;t know if it made a difference but I feel much better now :)
fargo

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management