Leg Symptoms

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Leg Symptoms

Postby blue123rd on October 5th, 2011, 8:24 pm

My left leg aches mostly muscle from right up in the thigh around the knee to the foot. Its hard to stand on it for any lenght of time and when i sit at work all day thre leg feels like the muscles are tight and pulling. i get a little throbbing sometimes in the foot. im still worried about ALS. are exercises good for this walking stretching etc. Please help.
blue123rd

Re: Leg Symptoms

Postby mommylondon on October 5th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Hi Blue, this is how my left leg felt all the way through my first year with BFS...It was very uncomfortable, the muscles in that leg always felt like they had been over stretched, or over pulled...they could feel so tight like the muscles would rip through the skin, or I could feel my pulse so strong in that leg...it could keep me up at night...I'm sorry you are having this too, the only thing that I can suggest is some gentle stretches, massages, and keep walking...be sure you keep moving or this symptom only gets more annoying...

Take care

Robynn :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on October 6th, 2011, 2:25 am

Oh, I feel really sorry for you because I know exactly what you're talking about. Leg pain is a big issue for me from the beginning. Yes, movement is good for this, although the leg may feel completely stiff and odd while walking. Standing and sitting makes it worse. Slight stretching, massage, Ibuprofene and these creams that make your muscles warm up or tiger balm help me also. But it is a very annoying thing as these pains can get really strong. BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with ALS, not at all...
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby MissBehavin on October 6th, 2011, 7:10 am

This is the annoying thing I'm dealing with right now. Sitting makes mine really bad. If I walk alot then it's not too bad. I also find if I sit on a hard surface that makes it worse, I feel like I'm sitting right on my butt bone. My leg feels like it has a tourniquet around it sometimes, it will pulse and just feels like it's under pressure. This goes from my thigh to my foot on my left leg. My butt cheek feels like I got butt punched and have like a charlie horse only not really sore just knotted.
MissBehavin
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on October 6th, 2011, 7:17 am

tourniquet is exactly the word, I often have the feeling of a rubber band wrapped around it so I have bad blood circulation in it and it is building up pressure (like the pain you can get when they measure blood pressure and put too much pressure on this wrap, or when they take blood from you and put the tourniquet around you and make you open and close your fist to make your veins come out). For me, it's the same feeling but much morepain together with needles and pins and a strange kind of bubble feeling in the leg.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby MissBehavin on October 6th, 2011, 8:51 am

That's it exactly! A handful of months before my BFS started I had an ultrasound on my legs to check for aneurysms and blood clots (runs in the family) and they put those pressure cuffs up and down your legs. When they blew up the thigh one it felt the same as it does now. I wondered if they damaged something when they did it, but if other people are having the same thing, then I guess it's a BFS thing-yeah. This is what I am trying to get relief from now, not the twitches. It's *beep* annoying! Also my toes feel cold on that side, but if I feel them they are the same as the other side.
MissBehavin
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby trajon_34 on October 6th, 2011, 9:47 am

I've got the same symptoms as was mentioned above.

Although, I don't feel any of it unless I'm up on my feet. It's worse when I've been sitting or standing for a period of time. Mine isn't noticeable when I'm laying down or sitting. Is anyone else like this?
trajon_34
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby trajon_34 on October 6th, 2011, 9:49 am

mommylondon wrote:Hi Blue, this is how my left leg felt all the way through my first year with BFS...It was very uncomfortable, the muscles in that leg always felt like they had been over stretched, or over pulled...they could feel so tight like the muscles would rip through the skin, or I could feel my pulse so strong in that leg...it could keep me up at night...I'm sorry you are having this too, the only thing that I can suggest is some gentle stretches, massages, and keep walking...be sure you keep moving or this symptom only gets more annoying...

Take care

So did this slowly start to go away after time for you? Or did a medicine help with this symptom?
trajon_34
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby blue123rd on October 7th, 2011, 7:03 am

So do these symptoms subside with time? I feel the muscle tightness, throbbing at times and some weeks are better than others(the last 2 being the worst). I guess weight losds would probably help the situation. I will try and walk as much as possible with light stretches as well.
blue123rd

Postby MissBehavin on October 7th, 2011, 7:51 am

I'm trying some vitamin supplements right now, they seem to help with the aching, but not the throbbing. If I stay active during the day, its not too bad, but I sit for 12 hrs three days a week. By the third day my leg(s) are killing me. As soon as I get up and move around the pain is better, but not gone. Usually after a couple of hours they are back to BFS normal- they ache, tingle and throb but not painfully so.
MissBehavin
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby blue123rd on October 7th, 2011, 8:06 pm

What type of supplements? I will try and walk more. I also have a weight issue. I gained 40 pounds since last fall just stressing about this thinking well if im going to die i will not de hungry. THat was a major mistake which im trying to rectify now.
blue123rd

Postby mommylondon on October 7th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Some of this @ Trajon...The intensity of these symptoms absolutely decreased dramatically with time.....but once I reported enough of it to my doctor he then recommended some physical therapy as he was afraid what I was trying at home was going to cause me more injury then good :shock: Physical therapy was the best thing I could have done, they taught me the proper way to stretch and how to target the area that was causing the problems and also help give me my confidence back that I was still strong.....I cant name a supplement that helped any with my leg issues but massage helped and lots of Ibuprofen to relieve the pain and inflammation.....and be sure you are staying hydrated...I was completely avoiding nearly all food and drink for a solid 4 months when my anxiety was at his highest and boy did I pay for it....You have to stay hydrated unless you want more cramps and more twitches...

Take care everyone

Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby german on October 8th, 2011, 7:17 pm

blue123rd wrote:My left leg aches mostly muscle from right up in the thigh around the knee to the foot. Its hard to stand on it for any lenght of time and when i sit at work all day thre leg feels like the muscles are tight and pulling. i get a little throbbing sometimes in the foot. im still worried about ALS. are exercises good for this walking stretching etc. Please help.

my legs started and still do ache like an SOB. I get popcorn twitching in my lower legs and feet and crampy feeling feet. I've had this for a year. Muscle tightness, finger twitching. Many people have this stuff with BFS or nerve hyperexcitability or what ever we want to name it.
german
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby LApea on December 2nd, 2012, 8:48 pm

This is how my right leg feels and has been feeling off and on since all of this started. It is so weird how the pain started too.

It started about 1 month into all of this mess, I got this sharp pulled muscle feeling from my lower back/pelvic area to the back of my thigh. The sensation and pain came out of nowhere, all I did was stand up out of bed. With this came the urgency to urinate a lot, even when I had nothing to void. My first guess was that I had some kind of urinary infection of some sort. The next day I went to the ER for unrelated issues, heart palps, but I asked about my leg and urinating issues. They ran urine and blood tests and everything was clean. Needless to say, I am still experiencing the pain on my thigh and calf. It feels like my muscle is tearing and like I pulled something, even when I am not doing anything labor intensive.

The urinary issues have subsided, but the pain persists.
You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it. -Paulo Coelho
LApea
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management