I've been taking NAC - Lyme Disease ?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

I've been taking NAC - Lyme Disease ?

Postby johnny999 on October 2nd, 2011, 11:32 pm

After elevating my dose of NAC to 4 x 500 mg. per day - Some interesting things started to appear.

I've started getting hundreds of minor but very itchy rash spots on wrists/knees/ankles (joint areas). These dissappear 3-4 days after discontinuing NAC, and seem to only occur when taking NAC with Vitamin C (starting the day after). (I have only gotten these rash spots about 4 times, and all on days with NAC + Vitamin C)

I have read that there are cases of NAC allergies, but it is also possible that heavy metals and pathogens are being detoxified, creating histamine and itching/rash spots. It seems this would be more logical, given the location of the rash spots (joints).

Itching is also a common herx reaction.

quote from wiki:
As part of an immune response to foreign pathogens, histamine is produced by basophils and by mast cells found in nearby connective tissues. Histamine increases the permeability of the capillaries to white blood cells and some proteins, to allow them to engage pathogens in the infected tissues.[3]

I'm trying to keep the dose low enough to minimize the rash spots, until I can see whether the rash spots decrease with continued use (which would be expected if it is not an allergy)
Last edited by johnny999 on October 11th, 2011, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: I've been taking NAC - Lyme Disease ?

Postby mwagner on October 3rd, 2011, 10:01 am

Why are you taking NAC? I was thinking of taking it because I did a hair strand heavy metal test that was high with Lead, Barium and Mercury. I have to take follow up tests, because it could be the result of my hair highlights, but I have amalgam fillings, so I'm thinking the mercury might be spot on. It was in the "yellow" zone, not "red" but still...

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby johnny999 on October 5th, 2011, 11:00 pm

mwagner wrote:Why are you taking NAC? I was thinking of taking it because I did a hair strand heavy metal test that was high with Lead, Barium and Mercury. I have to take follow up tests, because it could be the result of my hair highlights, but I have amalgam fillings, so I'm thinking the mercury might be spot on. It was in the "yellow" zone, not "red" but still...

Mitra

I had a similar metals test, and on one panel (checking random acids and metabolites) there was a marker that they noted marked "indicated low glutathione status" on the labwork.

My rashes have all vanished as I decreased the dose back down to 2 per day... the trick will be finding a happy medium between no rash and awful rash.
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mwagner on October 6th, 2011, 10:49 am

I have no idea what that means - the result of your test. I saw something that you posted a while ago (I think I've gone from only having GAD to having OCD lately, because I'm searching the section on Remedies/Cures like a madwoman) about copper levels which I found interesting.

I'm eager to get my test re-done and get the results again. Again, I did a hair test and I know there was some hair coloring on a piece or two which can really skew the results. I mean, my results were alarming with Lead and Barium.

But Copper seemed normal on that test.

Geesh, I can't keep up with all the things that could potentially cause this: a) candida, b) heavy metals, c) gluten in your diet, d) medication, etc. I am seeing a naturopath and chiropractor/applied kinesiologist (based on Secret Agent Man's recommendation). And, have started taking Zincus Metallicum, once I saw a post about that and googled it. I have all the symptoms that supposedly this treats (like I can get a headache after one glass of wine -- but ironically will end up drinking 4 glasses and be really hungover, because I love wine!). Plus, I reduced my amount of B6 (50 MG a day to 25 MG a day), because I read that B6 can cause neurological damage in women especially, even at 50 MG a day.

All this is probably for naught, but I want to give it a shot before ending up on some SSRI permanently. Or worse - something like neurontin.

Please shoot me a PM if you find that the NAC works well for you. I have a bottle here at home (because I read somewhere a while back that it can prevent hangovers for those nights you indulge a bit too much) that I have hardly touched. If it's something you find beneficial, I might try it as well.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management