woohaaa....tegretol allergy...

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

woohaaa....tegretol allergy...

Postby chrissi on September 13th, 2011, 6:02 am

I got a rash last week. I was not sure if it was my washing detergent or the tegretol,but was kind of doubting the tegretol because I have taken it 2 weeks before and had no reaction. Well, I changed the washing detergent and went off the Tegretol, and the rash disappeared. Last night my tongue was twitching like hell, so I took half (!!!) a Tegretol. I awoke with the mostincredible itchig rash and swollen eyes/Lips/tongue, I looked like some facelift gone wrong ....I just returned from the doc who was completely shocked and had an Cortisone injection. Have to take that for another WEEK. So no more Tegretol for me, next timeit would probably kill me :shock: . He said we can try something else,I will ask him if he gan give me low-dose-naltrodextrone. So that was a shock :shock:
So if ever ever again someone here talks of a rash, think of me and ask him if he takes Tegretol. And thanks to randy and mommylondon who told me that this might becaused by the Tegretol, otherwise I would have taken a whole pill or two.....
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Re: woohaaa....tegretol allergy...

Postby mommylondon on September 13th, 2011, 8:38 am

Hi Chrissy, I am so sorry to hear what happened although this was what I was worried about the other day when you told me you had a rash..but I didnt want to frighten you...I"m so glad that you did not take more then that half of pill because you are rite, you reaction could have been even worse.

I have allergies like that to a couple of anti biotics (penicillin and keflex) so I knew what you were describing on the group chat the other day...not a fun experience huh.....

I'm glad you are doing ok now, and I hope that rash doesnt hang out too long. Keep me updated on how you are doing.

Take care Chrissy

Robynn :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on September 13th, 2011, 8:44 am

I could just**** this PD. It was not mine, it was the representant and he did not even wantso see me but said it's the detergent not the pills. I have told him about the SSRI's so hefor sure thought it was an hypochondricattack.....he could have killed me!!!
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby mommylondon on September 13th, 2011, 8:49 am

Well why would he kill you, it wasnt your fault??
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on September 13th, 2011, 9:01 am

No, I mean he almost killed me with his"diagnosis" of my rash having nothing to do with the tegretol..
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby mommylondon on September 13th, 2011, 9:50 am

Oh. LOL, duhh, sorry I'm a bit slow this morning...I'll catch up sooner or later :)

Be sure you get some rest Chrissy.. talk soon

Robynn :D
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on September 13th, 2011, 10:41 am

I couldn't sleep....the phone rang 3 times. Twice it was commercials. I HATE THAT. I cannot turn off the phone when I have my kids away from home. But-NO-I do not want to order another magazine.!!!
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby RandyR on September 13th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Glad they got it under controll Chrissi. :D

When you was chatting with me on BFS FB I was concerned but knew it would be something easily fixed.
PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR

But they who wait upon the lord shall
renew their strength; they shall mount up with
wings as Eagles; they shall run, and not be
weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.(ISAIAH 40:31)
RandyR
Hero
Hero

Postby TwitchyDoc on September 15th, 2011, 4:59 am

I am quite sure rash and many other issues are mentioned as side effect in the paper that comes with the Tegretol. A lot of people do not read it, which is terrible mistake in meds like this. Also note that Tegretol dosage starts on 1xday to 2x day and increases.
Unfortunately its very effective for BFS, you will probably have problems with Trileptal, which is oxcarbamazepine and seemed to be even more effective..worth a try but very, very carefully once you are OK for a while.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on September 15th, 2011, 5:13 am

Well, I stopped reading the papers because they make me kind of hypochondric....I just tell my docs the meds I take and ask if they go along with the new one.
I must not take Trileptal, that's on my list of never-try-things as far as I remember. I will get a kind of passport where they write all the stuff on I must not take anymore to keep it in my wallet. I got along quite well with the Tegretol even for some weeks, but in this time I was made sensible to it, and then-bam- this reaction. The Allergologist that gave me the cortisone shots told me that Tegretol is on the Top 10 list for these reactions, but he was quite shocked when he saw what half a pill had done to me...I really looked like a blowfish with measles...
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Richard on September 15th, 2011, 10:27 pm

I believe Tegretol has a 'black box' warning in the U.S. because somebody died due to the allergic reaction that you had.

Usually Tegretol is dosaged up and dosaged down. It can be a dangerous medication and needs to be taken seriously.

If you try a different med, please be sure to read all the documentation that comes with it, talk to your pharmacist and your doctor.

All drugs have side effects. It is important to balance the side effects vs the benefits. Over time, some of the side effects can go away, but be aware of them.

BTW I took tegretol for one year before giving up on it. It did very little for me, which surprised the neurologist who was treating me.

But here again is an important statement: not all drugs work for everyone, and for different people they work differently. This is not specific to tegretol but for all meds.

Hope I have helped somewhat

-Richard
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on September 16th, 2011, 2:46 am

Yes, for sure I will read the documents from now on. I used to before, but they kind of made me nervous. The doc told me that I can take the Tegretol as needed as long as I stay in the very low dosages (maximum 2 a day), otherwise if I have to go on higher dosages I would have to dosage them up and down and take them regularly. Well, now I cannot take them any longer anyhow. I My doc and I will see what helps me when this stuff has all calmed down.
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management