Relaxation Techniques

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Relaxation Techniques

Postby bobajojo on September 2nd, 2011, 7:27 am

I am still early on in my struggles with BFS (about 4 months in), but I've quickly realized the connection between stress, anxiety and twitching. Who knows, maybe its even the cause of all of this madness.

So, I decided to enroll in the Benson-Henry Mind and Body Institute at Mass General Hospital in Boston to help deal with my health anxiety. I had my first appointment yesterday and I'm going to share what they teach me and hopefully, some of you can benefit from these stress reducing tips. The doctor I met with yesterday is not a neurologist, but we talked about my major health anxiety, she saw my calf twitches, and told me that she thought this program would be perfect for me.

She enrolled me in a 16-week program that doesn't start until the end of September, but, in the meantime she wanted me to complete the "Chopra 21 Day Medidation Challenge" to practice some relaxation techniques. Now I know that this might seem strange to some people (I thought so too) but I'm committed to feeling better and I'm going to give everything I have to this program and if she wants me to do this online meditation challenge, I'm doing it!

Here's the link if anyone else is interested. It is FREE. This 21 day challenge is just a buffer until my real program starts but she said it is a great online program. I'll keep posting about my experiences with the 16 week program starting at the end of September.

https://www.chopracentermeditation.com/ ... gister.asp

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Re: Relaxation Techniques

Postby bobajojo on September 2nd, 2011, 7:28 am

Oh one more thing.... if you enroll, they are already on Day 19, BUT you can view the previous days and start with Day 1.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on September 2nd, 2011, 10:17 am

Meditation isn't weird at all. It is one of the tried and true things that actually seems to help with BFS. Glad to hear you are now on the right path. Good luck. :)
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby trajon_34 on September 2nd, 2011, 12:41 pm

Sounds helpful. I look forward to hearing about your experiences.
trajon_34
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RandyR on September 2nd, 2011, 3:53 pm

I tried meditation at the begaining of my BFS, it was horriable for me then. I dropped out of the class a few weeks in. It's hard for me to sit still for any amount of time. But I sure did not like focusing on my body when I was already so intune with everything.

I would give it a shot now that I'm at a medium with BFS, but I still don't think it's for me. Good luck and I will be interested in seeing how it works for you.
PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR

But they who wait upon the lord shall
renew their strength; they shall mount up with
wings as Eagles; they shall run, and not be
weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.(ISAIAH 40:31)
RandyR
Hero
Hero

Postby zenseo on September 2nd, 2011, 5:05 pm

I've recently returned to therapy in an effort to nip my anxiety in the bud. One thing I'll be doing is taking some classes to learn relaxation techniques. If I can't rid myself of these horrid twitches, I sure hope to learn how to work through them!
zenseo
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby johnny999 on September 2nd, 2011, 11:14 pm

I find doing things that intrigue me and are slow paced helps - e.g. in my case adventure.

I think the mind automatically replays events and ideas which it's exposed to over and over again subconciously - this helps it to "improve" itself in the tasks you're trying to do. Expose yourself to things which are exciting enough to hijack your thinking, but not so exciting that your heart rate increases. Just take note of whatever you find lowers your heart rate.
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on September 3rd, 2011, 3:26 am

I used to do yoga some time before BFS started. I don't do is regularly but it surely helped me when the panic was on high rise. Especially the breathing techniques, not the stand-on-your-head parts. Controlling your breathing techniqe is a big thing in anxiety. I'mcurious about your experiences and : keep fighting the anxiety-monster!!!!
Hugs, Chrissi
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on September 4th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Meditating is one of the few things that has helped me with bcfs - especially when all else seemed to fail. A few words about it: it is like any other process - it takes time to get good at it (meaning that you can more easily relax an d not fight it so much)and you can get out of practice. If you are a hyper person you may want to start with short guided sessions that focus on breathing techniques and work up to longer ones. When I was practicing regularly I could drop into it quickly and do a short session and feel refreshed in under a 1/2 hour (alternative to a power nap - but better and great for combating fatigue). Now it takes me a bit longer as I don't do it as much anymore, but I still find it helpful for many situations where one may feel upset, sad, stressed, hyper, etc. The goal for me is to feel clearer & freer in mind and spirit and not be clouded by every passing thought. You can see how this may help bfs or bcfs. I have another link to use if you do not want to register
http://health.ucsd.edu/specialties/psyc ... /audio.htm
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management