not sure what I have

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

not sure what I have

Postby maind on August 31st, 2011, 11:34 pm

HI,
I am a 51 year old female suffering from BFS maybe...I had the twitching in my legs when I was 16 can't remember how long it lasted and we never did anything about it then....in May of this year (i quit my job after 33 years in retail in January) I would get up and after a few hours would notice muscle spasms or twitches in both of my thighs...after about 2 weeks thinking it was a pinched nerve I went to the chiropractor for about 3 weeks one day I woke up and my muscles were what I would call rigid in my legs....called my dr he phoned in robaxin a muscle relaxer..from there it didn't work every muscle in my thighs would fire strong too...I quit the chiropractor and went to my primary dr who gave me klonipin(?) didn't help alot he sent me for an emg and a spinal xray well the emg was normal as I am laying there with my legs moving so fast....it took me forever to get ready to leave my house...I would start sweating and get sooooo tired...anyway the spinal xray I had to go get a copy at the hospital which is a huge place I could barely make it thru about 7 people asked if I wanted a wheelchair and I had to rest in my car and drink water before I could leave...anyway was sent to a neurologist he yelled at me because he couldn't do the exam because my whole leg was twiching and i have no control over this he should have know that....he recommended and mri but said he didn't expect it to be normal because my spinal xray wasn't normal I have scolosis(i knew that) and arthritus in my spine my insurance denied the mri because of the normal emg so now I am doing physical therapy because then they may approve my mri...well that depends on what the physical therapist says now if everynight I take either xanax or soma the fasciculations are better or stop however if i miss one night they are back...I don't know what's wrong with me...I still think it's a back issue help.....
maind

Re: not sure what I have

Postby mommylondon on August 31st, 2011, 11:56 pm

Hi and welcome to the board. I just have a sec because I'm off to get a much needed massage for my screwy legs :D but wanted to post to you briefly and let you know that many of your symptoms sound just like several of us here. I had the same issues with not being able to feel strong enough to do much walking and my legs felt just as you described....and by they way....my husband had to push me in a wheelchair to all of my testing that I had done there because I could no longer walk the length of the hospital. For the most part you sound very much like a BFS case. On the other hand....my neuro did mention to me that if my twitches had been in my legs only,...then they could very will be the result of a back issue...I have scoliosis as well....but like you my emg was clean...and he saw no reason to do a MRI of my lower spine....and my twithces were all over but my feet were just crazy with the twitches and still can be some days....the rest of the twitching is all still very random hit an runs anywhere, with occasional hot spots but these are few and far between these days.

I'm quite sure you will fit rite in here...even if it is a back issue causing your twitches in your legs..we have other members with similar issues.

Take care and post as much as you need for support...we have some really caring people here who like to help.

Robynn :D

P.S. Dont be scared...whichever it is, BFS or a back issue...its nothing serious or you tests or clinical exam would have told the story. :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on September 1st, 2011, 4:21 am

maind wrote:HI,
I am a 51 year old female suffering from BFS maybe...I had the twitching in my legs when I was 16 can't remember how long it lasted and we never did anything about it then....in May of this year (i quit my job after 33 years in retail in January) I would get up and after a few hours would notice muscle spasms or twitches in both of my thighs...after about 2 weeks thinking it was a pinched nerve I went to the chiropractor for about 3 weeks one day I woke up and my muscles were what I would call rigid in my legs....called my dr he phoned in robaxin a muscle relaxer..from there it didn't work every muscle in my thighs would fire strong too...I quit the chiropractor and went to my primary dr who gave me klonipin(?) didn't help alot he sent me for an emg and a spinal xray well the emg was normal as I am laying there with my legs moving so fast....it took me forever to get ready to leave my house...I would start sweating and get sooooo tired...anyway the spinal xray I had to go get a copy at the hospital which is a huge place I could barely make it thru about 7 people asked if I wanted a wheelchair and I had to rest in my car and drink water before I could leave...anyway was sent to a neurologist he yelled at me because he couldn't do the exam because my whole leg was twiching and i have no control over this he should have know that....he recommended and mri but said he didn't expect it to be normal because my spinal xray wasn't normal I have scolosis(i knew that) and arthritus in my spine my insurance denied the mri because of the normal emg so now I am doing physical therapy because then they may approve my mri...well that depends on what the physical therapist says now if everynight I take either xanax or soma the fasciculations are better or stop however if i miss one night they are back...I don't know what's wrong with me...I still think it's a back issue help.....

Please excuse my language but that is bullsh1t , you need persue the mri as its nothing to do with the emg. The 2 exams look for different things, your neuro should insist its done if he doesnt go see another.

The violent twitching and sweating sounds alot like Neuromyotonia and that can be troublesome to pick up on a single emg as it has to discharging in the right muscle at the right time , some actually get diagnosed by video evidence and it can take a good while.

Whatever you do make sure youre very pushy and insist ...you pay the insurance they must cough up.... tight wads !!

Good Luck and welcome.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management