Potassium bicarbonate

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Potassium bicarbonate

Postby johnny999 on August 24th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Potassium bicarbonate powder - commonly available as a baking substance, and without the limitations of those potassium pills restricted to 3% RDA by the FDA

On mine, 1/4 tsp = 5% RDA - I only use 1 tsp per day (split into 4 servings)

It tastes much, much better in plain water than baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and it's potassium, which is more likely to be deficient.

Why does it matter:
-It's Potassium
-the Bicarbonate is alkaline, so it neutralizes acid wherever you put it. It's also supposed to help reduce overall acidity by reducing the amount of work the body must do to maintain an alkaline state
-Shown to decrease mineral (E.G. calcium/magnesium)+protein loss
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Potassium bicarbonate

Postby chrissi on August 25th, 2011, 2:17 am

I think this is very interesting. Only 5 weeks ago, my whole body would ache I couldn't stand it without pain reliefers. I started to take basic minerals and pain has become better , and it's more partially (e.g. when my left leg has been twitching like hell, it will start to ache),but not that bad anymore. Did't help with the twitching though.
I wanted to keep on trying this for some more time and see what happens when stop taking it before I make a recommendation here, as these minerals are quite expensive and I didn't want to make untrue promises, but if it works with baking soda then this is definately worth a try!
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby johnny999 on August 26th, 2011, 6:44 pm

chrissi wrote:I think this is very interesting. Only 5 weeks ago, my whole body would ache I couldn't stand it without pain reliefers. I started to take basic minerals and pain has become better , and it's more partially (e.g. when my left leg has been twitching like hell, it will start to ache),but not that bad anymore. Did't help with the twitching though.
I wanted to keep on trying this for some more time and see what happens when stop taking it before I make a recommendation here, as these minerals are quite expensive and I didn't want to make untrue promises, but if it works with baking soda then this is definately worth a try!

Which basic mineral helped your pains ?

Also, baking soda usually refers to sodium bicarbonate, which is actually much more widely used than potassium (Just type in Maple Syrup and Baking
Soda Cancer Remedy on google, and you'll find pages and pages of claims that it has worked). I have trouble believing that, but it seems logical to me that if there is an acid overload (anaerobic exercise, foods, supplements, drinks) that one should eat not only acid food (e.g. Coffee), but alkaline food as well to help offset it (and the only mainstream alkaline foods are green vegetables, which are only slightly alkaline. I've also noticed that many supplements people here take are extremely acidic also, e.g. Niacin (nicotinic acid), vitamin C (ascorbic acid), NAC, many types of calcium and many types of Magnesium.

But from what I've read on this board, many members tested having a bit high sodium compared to low potassium, hence the reason for potassium bicarbonate rather than baking soda. (I think the generic term for potassium bicarbonate is a "leavening agent" for bread)
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on August 27th, 2011, 9:42 am

I tried something called "basica" which is a special brand here in germany.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management