Does anyone Jerk?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Does anyone Jerk?

Postby nonstop on August 24th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Barbie800 wrote:This happens to me also and it happened alot when I first got BFS 2 and a half years ago. It's all part of the nerve hyperexcitablilty. Nothing to worry about.

Can I ask where you got the term "nerve hyperexcitability" from? Was it a doctor? Is there an explanation for it?
nonstop

Postby kstoruk on August 30th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Probably from peripheral nerve hyperexcitability, the umbrella term for bfs/cfs/isaacs related conditions with similar presentation but probably different causes.
Regarding the jerking i get this a lot but only when i am in bed in semi sleep state sometimes it's so violent i kick and move my whole body. Don't know if it's from the bfs or from the overall stress condition i live in.
kstoruk
Hero
Hero

Postby bobajojo on August 30th, 2011, 1:16 pm

kstoruk,

I get the exact same thing and it only started after I started twitching so I bet it's related to BFS. Everytime I fall into phase I of sleep, meaning I'm still semi-concious but just starting to fade, I jerk awake. It's awful.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on August 31st, 2011, 1:43 am

Tegretol helped me alot with this. I take it half an hour before I go to bed, and no more jerks when trying to fall asleep.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby kstoruk on September 1st, 2011, 6:37 am

Well, it doesn't really matter where it's from, the thing is our issues overlap with normal bodily function and it's REALLY difficult to convince doctors they're different like:
- I twitch, so what i twitch too, yeah but i twitch a LOT ==> nuts
- I have myoclonic jerks when i fall asleep, so what everybody does, yeah but i have them a LOT ==> nuts

I wonder if there was an autoimmune blinking or farting disease would it get any attention? i guess not cuz doctors also blink and fart ...
kstoruk
Hero
Hero

Postby munecagirl22 on October 11th, 2011, 12:15 am

kstoruk wrote:Well, it doesn't really matter where it's from, the thing is our issues overlap with normal bodily function and it's REALLY difficult to convince doctors they're different like:
- I twitch, so what i twitch too, yeah but i twitch a LOT ==> nuts
- I have myoclonic jerks when i fall asleep, so what everybody does, yeah but i have them a LOT ==> nuts

I wonder if there was an autoimmune blinking or farting disease would it get any attention? i guess not cuz doctors also blink and fart ...

hahahha i like that statement and sooo very frekn true!!!!!

i have that jerks... never happend to me before all these issues startd... statred few months after twithcns i stuff
munecagirl22

Postby House on October 14th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Actually... those are called Hypnic jerks which are caused by stress and anxiety and has nothing to do with excited nerves but on the other hand, I started having them at the same as when my twitches first appeared which leads me to believe that they might somehow be connected... anyway, i told my neuro (who is also in charge of the sleep lab) about this and he was unimpressed. Anyway, here's the link for those who wanna read about it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk
House
Interested
Interested

Postby munecagirl22 on October 18th, 2011, 2:03 am

well not sure how stress related they are ive had lots of frinds do this before and my hubbie has done it alomst ever night since we been married... just a human thing i guesss/// :?:
munecagirl22

Postby AndrewS on November 8th, 2011, 8:02 pm

You know, I love this site!

I started to notice the jerking over the past couple of days after my fiance claimed I woke her up with them a few times one night (I never awoke during that night). So I've been freaking out for a couple of days and I decide to hit up the bfs site. And what do I see? "Does anyone jerk?"

I JERK TOO!!! I'm not the only one! So this symptom does not mean I "have" some other rare neuro disorder on top of "having" ALS.

Thanks for posting this (a few months ago)!!!
-AndrewS
AndrewS
Interested
Interested

Postby garym on November 8th, 2011, 8:32 pm

sounds like myoclonic jerks. usually a sx of anxiety but otherwise nothing to worry about.

take care,
gary
garym

Postby bfshopeful on November 8th, 2011, 11:13 pm

had them really bad when this first started it was all anxiety related. I actually didn't sleep for three days straight. Klonopin knocked them out. Valium is good too.
"It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."
bfshopeful
Saint
Saint

Postby cenkay.a on November 9th, 2011, 6:42 pm

i used to get these sooo soo bad when it all first started, used to ruin my sleep, would be difficult to get to sleep, then sometimes i would wake up and jerk too, the shoulder ones are the weirdest... no i get them rarely, and i think somehow they are amusing lol...
Twitching since December 2010
cenkay.a
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby druqs on November 12th, 2011, 11:59 am

before i go to sleep some nights, i feel like i jerk at the abs. usually just once or twice, but sometimes it will happen just as i'm like entering a dream. And then suddenly, awake for a several minutes more.
druqs

Postby bobajojo on November 16th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Does anyone get negative myoclonic jerks? Positive myoclonic jerks are the ones where your muscles contract and negative ones are where your muscles relax. I've been getting both lately. I was just laying down and nearly bit my tongue off as I drifted off to sleep. My jaw clamped shut so tightly. I also get the negative myclonic jerks in my back where it feels like the muscles just release. Does anyone get this? My guess is that its anxiety.
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby Simonaa on November 17th, 2011, 7:02 am

I dont know what you mean?
negative and Positiv??
Simonaa
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor