Gabapentin

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Gabapentin

Postby Malnory on January 17th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Gabapentin 300 mg twice a day has very much reduced the full body electrical buzz that can be so distracting (and frightening). I have had no side effects (and I am one to have any side effect possible.)
Malnory

Postby Malnory on January 17th, 2012, 10:52 pm

...but did nothing for the fasciculations or the cramps...
Malnory

Postby Silverbullet on January 29th, 2012, 5:38 am

I get the full body electric buz :shock:
Silverbullet

Re: Gabapentin for buzz, lamictal for mood

Postby Malnory on January 30th, 2012, 12:10 am

I have found that ( -the full body electrical buzz -FBEB? ) so hard to explain to others, but the gabapentin/Neurontin has been helpful for me. I also wanted to thank others for suggesting this and also lamictal, which my neurologist agreed might be helpful for the muscle cramps and fascics (which are causing nerve pain as they cramp around it in one of my legs). Didn't help with the cramping, but lifted a mild depression I had had and didn't realize it for at least 2 years, since the symptoms came on. It was amazing, and serendipitous, since I did not expect it at all -- it was like, surprise! You're feeling better!

I did want to suggest another solution that has recently worked for me: a heating pad for muscle cramps and fasciculations -- have any of you tried this? I started using one for my leg, which spasms and cramps, from hip to ankle, as I'm trying to go to sleep - i put the heating pad under my hip up to my lower back, to relax the muscles that impinge on the nerve extending down my leg, causing pain (one doctor called this piriformis syndrome, which seems to be related to the muscle cramping). I've only been doing this for two weeks, but the leg cramps and fasciculations have greatly decreased so I can drop off to sleep and the nerve pain has improved as well. Anyway, something simple to try.

This group has been so helpful to me, I really appreciate everyone's efforts to figure all of this out and help us stay calm... :-O
Malnory

Postby mike fla on January 30th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Yeah I've used heating pads and long hot baths before going to bed. Doing alot of stretching also helps me with the cramping, but I actually twitch more in my calves after stretching. I think klonopin has really helped with cramping too but not everyone wants to be on a benzo drug.
mike fla
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Symptom Management