Gabapentin

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Gabapentin

Postby xtremx on August 3rd, 2011, 6:33 am

I know it is not bfs but have noticed Gabapentin is used in treating neuro problems.

My doc wants me to start taking Gabapentin for my anxiety but I am concerned by the extra long list of side effects considering it is not really used for anxiety as it says on wiki "Gabapentin has limited usefulness in the treatment of anxiety disorders".
At the moment i am self treating with saint johns wort (it is helping) but i am still in a state of high anxiety unless i am in the safe area of my house

So my question is, is anyone using gabapentin at the moment or recently that can comment on the drug.
it cant rain all the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6tpgqxBDY0 This is my calf
xtremx

Re: Gabapentin

Postby TwitchyDoc on August 3rd, 2011, 8:46 am

As I have written many times, gabapentin, pregabalin, carbamazepines are medicaments that are often given to BFS patients as they help some of us.
I would be very careful as its not uncommon that it worse your symptoms and thus anxiety. What kind of doctor gave it to you - psychiatrist? You should get standard antidepressants and anxiolitics for the worst moments.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby RandyR on August 3rd, 2011, 12:20 pm

I'm thinking about trying it if I can get my MD to prescribe it to me. I have heard good and bad about it, I was prescribed zoloft and it made the twitches alot worse three days in, they took me off it and they settled back to only thousands a day...lol

I'm also going to ask about lamictal next time, I have been hearing good things about it.
PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR

But they who wait upon the lord shall
renew their strength; they shall mount up with
wings as Eagles; they shall run, and not be
weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.(ISAIAH 40:31)
RandyR
Hero
Hero

Postby raindog on August 3rd, 2011, 1:30 pm

Had 2 months large dose before bed, never noticed anything, other than increases appetite and was a waste of time for me. :|
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby dreadpirateroberts on August 3rd, 2011, 3:55 pm

Tried it for about 2 months and it had no effect on the twitching or anxiety.
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on August 3rd, 2011, 9:00 pm

I used gabapentin and oxcarbamazapine (sp? trileptal), both at high doses early on, and neither really slowed the fascics.....as for gabapentin (trileptal also) it is an anti-convulsant used mainly to treat epilepsy. For the record, I had very minimal side effects, even at very high doses and wouldn't hesitate recommending people try it because it does seem to help some people.

Both of these meds helped me with the neuropathic/muscle/joint pains more than anything else.....at the time that was a big benefit, as I was suffering much from those sxs.

Good luck and take care,
Gary
garym

Postby Barbie800 on August 4th, 2011, 4:43 pm

dreadpirateroberts wrote:Tried it for about 2 months and it had no effect on the twitching or anxiety.

Same here. I stopped taking it. Did nothing.
Barbie800
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on August 4th, 2011, 6:39 pm

It helped me with sleep starts and muscle spasms waking me at night. This was good to help re-establish a sleep pattern and kept me from total exhaustion as I was sleep-deprived due to this nonsense. It didn't do much else for me so took it for only a few months. These type of drugs (anti-epi) you ever really know how they will affect you as responses are highly variable and may change through time.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on August 4th, 2011, 6:47 pm

I actually put on a stone in weight in the 2 months, like i was still hungry just after i eaten a main meal. Still like Gary says you have to try it as most of these things are very individual.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby nonstop on August 16th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Gabapentin in large enough doses kills most of my twitches and also makes me really not care about the remaining twitches. Can't live without it.
nonstop

Postby NLMinSTL on October 15th, 2011, 11:12 pm

I took it for a few months. Unfortunately it didn't help the twitches but it did cause me to gain weight so I stopped it. I think it's worth a try, though. It may help.

Sincerely,
-Nancy
NLMinSTL

Postby hojo70 on January 4th, 2012, 6:10 pm

xtremx wrote:I know it is not bfs but have noticed Gabapentin is used in treating neuro problems.

My doc wants me to start taking Gabapentin for my anxiety but I am concerned by the extra long list of side effects considering it is not really used for anxiety as it says on wiki "Gabapentin has limited usefulness in the treatment of anxiety disorders".
At the moment i am self treating with saint johns wort (it is helping) but i am still in a state of high anxiety unless i am in the safe area of my house

So my question is, is anyone using gabapentin at the moment or recently that can comment on the drug.

I've been on gabapentin and about a month for BFS related pain with limited success, and Lexapro for anxiety for 6 years. If anxiety is your only symptom then Lexapro is a great solution. Its the best tolerated SSRI on the market, and will soon be available as generic
hojo70

Postby chicagobfs on January 6th, 2012, 1:35 am

I would not be worry about the side effects too much. My side effects that I had were with memory ( I forgot how to use my microwave for a few seconds that I use everyday!) which was kinda scary. But still that's probably better than others scary side effects. Overall this medication didn't work for my twitching nor anxiety. Good Luck!
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby Silverbullet on January 10th, 2012, 4:46 pm

I tried pregabalin and it appeared OK for a while but then I started to feel awful, really cannot described it just unwell and really out of it. I was taking 400mg daily. I find all medication only works for a limited time for me then I have to stop taking it.
Silverbullet

Postby raindog on January 12th, 2012, 5:00 am

Martin-Patrick wrote:I tried pregabalin and it appeared OK for a while but then I started to feel awful, really cannot described it just unwell and really out of it. I was taking 400mg daily. I find all medication only works for a limited time for me then I have to stop taking it.

Pregabalin did nothing for me too, actually thought it made my pain worsen ...as well as continually feeling dizzy and nausious. My problem is that any side effect adds to my problems and i need to be able to function fully, i cant sit all day spaced out like a zombie.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management