Weakness Question

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Weakness Question

Postby krook on July 26th, 2011, 10:35 am

Hi,

I have one question about weakness, I have been feeling that my right hand (dominate hand) is weaker than my left hand. So, when I lift something with my right hand, it feels that I need a little more effort than my left – this could be from all that strength testing I been doing on my right hand (I know it’s underproductive, but it’s hard to stay calm when strength testing is the only thing I can do to reassure myself that I’m not getting weaker)

My question is, the “weakness” I’m feeling is it perceived weakness? Or is it clinical weakness? I can still lift heavy weighs on my right hand and my right hand is fully functional, I haven’t had any trouble opening jars or haven’t been dropping anything.

I'm just a little freaked out since I'm afraid that ALS will just creep up on me.

Thanks
krook

Re: Weakness Question

Postby johnnythejet on July 26th, 2011, 10:57 am

What you are describing sounds exactly like perceived weakness. True weakness isn't something you "feel".

Also, doing the strength tests virtually guarantees that you will feel weak, fatigue, pain, etc. You shouldn't be the least bit surprised about your recent feelings.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby krook on July 26th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I did go to the gym today to do some weight lifting, my right arm did indeed feel weaker but i was still able to lift.

Although, my strength tests are usually just repetitive simple tests, such as opening jars and tightening them as tight as i can. I still feel a bit anxiety but it's good to know that this isn't something i shouldn't worry about. My question is, if i had ALS, wouldn't it be slow progressive were i would slowly get weaker?

Thanks
krook

Postby johnnythejet on July 26th, 2011, 8:44 pm

It doesn't matter that your strength tests seem just repetitive/simple. Overusing a group of muscles from your daily routine like you are (even if only slightly) will often result in your situation. Don't worry...most of us have been there. Stop thinking about "what ALS would feel like", because you don't have it and you wouldn't feel it if you did. The fact that you are having these symptoms at all just reinforces that you are in the same boat as the rest of us.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby twin2 on July 26th, 2011, 9:41 pm

Weakness from the dreaded disease (I hate to even see those *beep* initials!) is way different than what you describe. You wouldn't be able to grip the weight. Don't worry. You are really, really fine. From everything I've heard, the disease progresses very rapidly. Not little by little.
twin2
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management