Scapular instability

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Scapular instability

Postby johnny999 on July 21st, 2011, 9:37 pm

Does anyone else have this or other shoulder/back area problems? (slight scapula popping with certain motions, occasional shoulder pain, etc.) The scapula basically connects many, many muscles to the spine, and there are numerous areas for issues to pop up (for me - in the trapezius/levator scapula/rhomboid region)

I believe I have a retracted shoulder girdle from spending 8+ hours a day on the computer with arms fully extended, doing some heavy weight-training exercises for a few years which can cause significant retraction (e.g. holding the protracted position on seated rows, tricep pulldowns, and heavy preacher curls) and several other factors

I've started doing huge amounts of exercises to this area (mainly "face pulls"), and I'll update if there's any reduction in twitching in a month.
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Scapular instability

Postby ImOK on July 23rd, 2011, 5:32 pm

Yes I have problems in my thoracic spine and have probably, as a result, some injuries also with the clavicle, shoulder, and neck. Shoulders are tricky - held together with tissues (some call this a floating joint) so they injure easily and are prone to imbalance in tension throwing them out of line. Just be careful about self-diagnosing and overworking muscle groups as you could inadvertently cause problems with imbalance in the tendons/muscles. If you can do it, try a good physical therapist and get some expert advice. I'm battling this type of thing now and will go next week to the PT - last time it took 6 months and hopefully they will be able to help me get past the injury stage more quickly so I can start working out more again. Now I have a lot of neural pain (sharp - from fluids most prob) and loss of feeling in morning in my arms. It is a drag but the second time around for me so it is not freaky like the first time. Will let you know about the PT thing after I go if you're interested.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby johnny999 on August 25th, 2011, 12:21 am

Will let you know about the PT thing after I go if you're interested.

yes, please update.

Unfortunately, although i have made great progress in adding more strength to my rhomboids and mid-traps, my scapula still clicks on the right side when i move my arms in a certain motion, and twitching has NOT improved one bit.

LOL here is a recent pic of my back i took on a webcam - you can see the traps arent TOO weak lol, unless the whole thing is torn which i doubt.

http://i.imgur.com/lOTm8.png

I actually was way more buff, before this twitching nonsense started and i completely stopped working out (me=idiot)

So, the final thing for me to try is - serratus anterior exercises. This is actually worth a try since my upward rotation and bench lockout are very weak in comparison to some of my other areas. The upper traps can actually cause issues if too strong in comparison to the serratus anterior.
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ImOK on August 25th, 2011, 12:39 pm

Had forgotten about this thread. I did go to PT for 2 weeks and they did feel that the winging scapula was a problem for me. Its really an issue of support and alignment which affects the entire upper torso so your idea of not being well balanced muscularly is right on. Besides all their ultrasound, massage etc what they had me do (what i continue after stopping the therapy) was some theraband exercises - primarily rowing and squeezes that looked a lot like these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plvNp9C6 ... 1C52D33403 and then laying on a bench with a foam roll under the spine to open the front with arms draped out to the sides. Heat and ice. Also some similar exercises on a weight bench but basically the same actions. Yes, it seemed to help. These are all basically for the serratus anterior and there seems to be so many of these exercises online I guess it is a very common problem.

What also helps a lot is keeping what the pilates people call a high scoop when working in a plank or similar position. It is basically activating your abdominals in an upward-inward motion to support your spine. Right now, for me, I am not very strong since I have been laying off work-outs due to my back issues. I am gently starting another program and some of the stuff I cannot do has mostly to do with the shoulders - still have to be careful and cut some exercises so not to re-injure. So tedious to regain lost ground - too stubborn to give up :roll:

I think I will start also doing this one (push up plus) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzFr2GT-Is as described by this PT online.

LOL here is a recent pic of my back i took on a webcam - you can see the traps arent TOO weak lol, unless the whole thing is torn which i doubt.
http://i.imgur.com/lOTm8.png
I actually was way more buff, before this twitching nonsense started and i completely stopped working out (me=idiot)

If they were torn you would know it - big ouch. Yeah, I agree; stopping your physical stuff just makes you less physical, it doesn't directly decrease or increase twitches/symptoms unless, of course, you are overdoing it and stressing your system out. Relaxation exercises decrease symptoms for me but it is just a piece of the overall puzzle - we all have to find our own path by experimentation. in regard to buffness - when I was younger and worked at a spa/gym I used to commonly see guys straining for a look, pushing beyond their ability to maintain correct form, and along the way injuring themselves. Sad. Strength is another thing - I've seen very lean people that are much stronger than more muscular ones - the larger bound-up muscle often doesn't have the ability to exert as much force - it has a lesser distance to contract so cannot.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby johnny999 on August 26th, 2011, 2:18 am

I think I will start also doing this one (push up plus) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzFr2GT-Is as described by this PT online.

can you feel your scapula winging ? I notice that when I stretch my arm forward all the way (firing the serratus), the edge of the scapula seems to not protrude at all, feeling more ideal.

i've also been doing that exercise for a while now, just haven't done it enough, I think. To get the area sore (it feels like a dull ache for some reason) I have to do really high reps with the pushup version where you use about half of your normal weight ( like 50-100 reps). Using the full bodyweight with only 10-30 reaps doesn't seem to cause enough soreness

Also, scapula elevation is another important one for serratus (shrugging upwards with arms raised) in addition to the push-up plus.
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ImOK on August 27th, 2011, 6:38 pm

No, what I feel is more like a rolling of the shoulder forward and a slight tightness in the front (subscapularis and pecs); like the shoulder blades are creeping up my back and forward. So it is def a problem not just of the musculature of the upper back and shoulder blade but also tightness up under the collar bone. This is why the PT had me lay on my back with the spine elevated on a roller and arms stretched out to the side - as the muscles stretch you just incrementally raise your arms a little higher to get more stretch.

This kind of stuff has been a problem for me since being affected by BCFS - the uneven hyper-toning of the muscles in what seems like odd places. It doesn't help to have ruptured discs but I am finding that muscular support helps them also. Relaxation helps, tension and misplaced stress are the enemy :evil:

This is reminding me to do my PT exercises :?
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management