How do your fingers behave?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

How do your fingers behave?

Postby peterdenmark on June 27th, 2011, 11:40 am

Hi there,

Just curious to hear of some of you experience the same as I do:
If you hold your hands in front of you, relax and then try to keep a small space of a few millimeters between all fingers on your hands - then how do your fingers act? Mine go absolutely crazy. Sideways movements beyond control. Wonderful.
--
Best regards
Peter, Denmark
Twitching since february 2009
peterdenmark
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: How do your fingers behave?

Postby mommylondon on June 27th, 2011, 12:34 pm

My fingers do the exact same thing on my right have, they have since the start of all of this. Another symptom that did not impress my neuro :roll:

I think I remember reading of others on here who have that as well, so you are not alone with this symptom.

Take care

Robynn :D
Last edited by mommylondon on June 27th, 2011, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on June 27th, 2011, 12:46 pm

My fingers go crazy. I can't even come close to keeping them still.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Chipper3 on June 27th, 2011, 2:10 pm

Mine too... I have to say, this is the most bothersom symptom. I have had twitches (100's an hour) for 6 years now... I could care less about the twitches... they are beign. The finger movement is what bothers me the most and any little anxiety (loss of sleep) makes it much worse. Fine finger control espcially writting can be funky... but I have always had crappy handwritting... Cup of green tea helps me.
Chip
Chipper3
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby zenseo on June 27th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Mine go crazy, too, and I've never attempted or even thought about performing this exercise. Great, now something else to obsess about. :)

In all honesty, I think this is probably one of those things that affects a large population of people and is just an anomaly with no real significance. I have to believe that if it did have some significance, one of my many neuro visits would have included this task.

Take care all-
S
zenseo
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Barbie800 on June 27th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Same thing happens to me. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Barbie800
Saint
Saint

Postby fox2run on June 28th, 2011, 6:15 am

Same thing. Guess its pretty normal. Nobody are use to put their hands like that. Try to do it every day. Then after a while it will be better. Its called tremors and are normal for muscles not used much. Try to sit in a weird position for, say 5-10 minutes, and your muscles will go crazy if you try sit in another certain position. Its pretty much like Parkinson and if you have ALS or MS or something on your mind, you will feel doomed. But hey, its normal, dude. :)
fox2run
Saint
Saint

Postby dreadpirateroberts on June 28th, 2011, 7:55 am

Mine aren't quite that active, but I can see movement in many of them if I just hold them out face up, elbows bent in front of me. Also, my pointer fingers tremble if I slowly move one of them toward an object like a car stereo button.
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Postby RunningBear on June 29th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Me too Peter. My fingers go like a needle on an old stereo sensor blaring Boston or Pink Floyd or Led, or whatever.
RunningBear
Hero
Hero

Postby Buzzmike on July 3rd, 2011, 9:57 pm

I've not posted in 4 or 5 months. I know exactly what you're talking about. I can't hold any muscle in a contracted static position without a tremor, and yes its most noticeable in my fingers, mandible, quads, and right tricep. But in a larger sense--function is not affected. No clinical weakness. I noted my first fasciculation 17 months ago which quickly spread to every muscle in my body-toes, feet, legs, torso, arms, fingers, scalp, ears, *beep*, and even my middle ear which created a drumming sound. Had the buzzing, vibrations, etc, which were constant and unrelenting, even during my sleep according to my wife. Seen by the appropriate physicians with the usual tests--all negative. The fasciculations persist pretty much 24 hours a day; although not with the same intensity. Definitely worse after exercise and/or when I/m fatigued. The bigger annoyance is the rippling muscle and tremor on contraction, including inability to hold fingers in the aforementioned static position. I was seen by a fine neurologist in April (3rd visit) and we agreed follow-up visits were not indicated. I know enough about ALS to understand I absolutely do not have that disease. Having said that, I know that BFS is a real neurological or metabolic condition, and benign only in the sense that it is not ALS or any of the usual neuro disorders. But it is worrisome, annoying, and sometimes fatiguing. Vitamins, diet, supplements--tried them all without too much success. Refused the heavy medications offered by neuro. Don't need those side effects too. As a final note, I've been an exercise fan all my life, I'm 57, and last week I set an impressive personal best time for my 50's on a 17 mile bike ride, *beep* near killed me, but it sure felt good, and I know that after a year and 1/2 of symptoms, I sure couldn't have accomplished that with any serious neurological disease. Hang in there. Carpe diem. Keep pushing.
Buzzmike
Interested
Interested

Postby fox2run on July 4th, 2011, 9:30 am

Oh, yearrrhh

I have improved my 5 km running time, pretty much, lately on my 4-years out twitching feets. So even if its annoying you can most likely do some sports.
fox2run
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management