Enbrel

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Enbrel

Postby nonstop on June 14th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Has anyone with BFS also taken Enbrel? I was wondering what effect this immune suppressant might have on the BFS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etanercept

Seems like a more advanced approach than Prednisone.
nonstop

Re: Enbrel

Postby 6t5frlane on June 23rd, 2011, 8:02 am

Just the oposite for me. I think the Enbrel caused the BFS
6t5frlane
Hero
Hero

Postby raindog on June 23rd, 2011, 4:56 pm

nonstop wrote:Has anyone with BFS also taken Enbrel? I was wondering what effect this immune suppressant might have on the BFS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etanercept

Seems like a more advanced approach than Prednisone.

My Neuro says that immune suppressant drugs can only help if certain antibodies are found in your blood. If everything is normal which mine were, then they are of no use to you and will do more damage than good.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby dreadpirateroberts on June 24th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Raindog, do you know what those antibodies are?
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Postby raindog on June 25th, 2011, 5:07 am

dreadpirateroberts wrote:Raindog, do you know what those antibodies are?

No mate, but its all covered on the basic bloods they carry out, I even had the vgkc done and that was normal. I queried immune suppressant drugs and even plasma therapies but the neuro went into detail as to why it would be a waste of time in my case, as i have no abnormalities showing anywhere in my bloods that would indicate surpressing my immune system with steroids that would only lead to very bad long term side effects and as there is nothing wrong with my blood plasma so that too was pointless.

My official diagnosis is a periphereal nerve hyperexcitability syndrome of unknown aetiology, but In people who have have an identified cause for their particular ion channelopathy then both these treatment can help in some cases.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby Fan on June 25th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Raindog,

I had vgkc done and first time numbers were less than 100 and repeated was over 100 but still under normal limits. So was yours totally normal. I mean the fact that some antibodies were showing up for even if in normal
Mean that I have antibodies!

Why would the body even make them even in normal range?

I have talked to doc about steroids too and ivig. The neuro says no but my MD says docent hurt to try steroid. But I am holding off.

The immunologist did a panel and my igg, Ige and iga were elevated. But he said it's Non specific elevation.
Ige is severe as I also have allergies and sinus and he said that goes with that and iga is not severe almost borderline high.
And igg he said just means I had infections. Like EBV igg came elevated.

It's all so confusing

Fan
Fan

Postby raindog on June 25th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Fan wrote:Raindog,

I had vgkc done and first time numbers were less than 100 and repeated was over 100 but still under normal limits. So was yours totally normal. I mean the fact that some antibodies were showing up for even if in normal
Mean that I have antibodies!

Why would the body even make them even in normal range?

I have talked to doc about steroids too and ivig. The neuro says no but my MD says docent hurt to try steroid. But I am holding off.

The immunologist did a panel and my igg, Ige and iga were elevated. But he said it's Non specific elevation.
Ige is severe as I also have allergies and sinus and he said that goes with that and iga is not severe almost borderline high.
And igg he said just means I had infections. Like EBV igg came elevated.

It's all so confusing
Fan

When all said and done Fran ive not heard of anyone even with postive results getting a cure with either steroids or plasma therapies. My neuro seems to think there is little out there that can do much to just eleviate symptoms let alone cure them, then when you weigh up the possibility of unpleasant side effects adding to your problems you might as well get your head down and just get on with your life.

Times a great healer.

take care.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management