"Nervous" arms will twitch when used

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

"Nervous" arms will twitch when used

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 14th, 2011, 3:31 am

I experience this last few days...biceps and triceps muscles on my both arms seems to be oversensitive and have kinda "nervous" feeling. If I grab a pen, it starts twitching, if I stretch, it starts twitching, if I pick up something, it starts twitching..and so on. Its very annoying and I am starting to be a bit worried as its very, very frequent. I mean I cannot two three minutes without twitchning here.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Re: "Nervous" arms will twitch when used

Postby edado69 on June 14th, 2011, 4:05 am

Something somehow similar is happening to me. 2 weeks ago I have noticed some twitching to my left quads when going and jumping upstairs. Now the phenomenon is becoming more frequent and also standing up may trigger the twitching.
Strenght is good as always (ie. I may squat more than 40 times on one leg).
I am not sure if this is going to go away or not. I hope it will. Anyone else has experienced something similar. This is new to me also.
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 14th, 2011, 4:38 am

edado: You can squat 40 times on one leg?! Not sure if I get it correctly, you are able to go down and lift yourself on just one leg? I am not able to even stand up from ground on one leg.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby edado69 on June 14th, 2011, 5:11 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:edado: You can squat 40 times on one leg?! Not sure if I get it correctly, you are able to go down and lift yourself on just one leg? I am not able to even stand up from ground on one leg.

You got it right. But, as I said in many occasions, I have been in sports for all my life. Training, training, training. Said that, I am not training anymore as I was used to do and why the problems with the left leg and not the right? Why I did not have it before? The usual questions indeed. I wonder what is actually happening, albeit knowing it may not change the soup at all!
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Postby Barbie800 on June 18th, 2011, 8:18 am

TwitchyDoc... I want to ask you, what have your doctors told you? Did they tell you that you have BFS? After 4 years, I can't imagine why you are still so worried about this. I'm 27 months into this and I'm at the point that I just don't let it scare me anymore. I guess I just figure it is what it is and there is nothing more I can do about it. I don't understand why you are letting this consume you after so long???
Barbie800
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 18th, 2011, 10:24 am

Barbie, I have been told its most likely BFS but time will tell for sure as recommended follow up is 4-5 years. That is what suggest some of the "scary" studies where people suffering from BFCS develop MND later. Sure these are exceptions but neurologists who have read tend to follow that recommendation, just in case. Mine is very respected neuromuscular specialiast, I mentioned earlier, he is one of the co-founders of neuroimmunology so he reads all these reports. But he did say he believed its benign.
I am nervous because this all developed 4 years after onset, never had this before.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Barbie800 on June 18th, 2011, 11:26 am

TwitchyDoc wrote: I have been told its most likely BFS but time will tell for sure as recommended follow up is 4-5 years. That is what suggest some of the "scary" studies where people suffering from BFCS develop MND later.

This is insane! So, your saying that we can't be sure it's BFS until 4 or 5 years have passed? That makes no sense. Who then can say that after 10 years we won't get MND? I just don't get it.
Barbie800
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 18th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Barbie, please do not put things I quoted to my mouth. This is what the latest study recommend, its NOT my suggestion/idea/whatever. I have just been told this, which is what the papers say, As well as another member few days ago was told 3 years. But dont freak out, its like side effects of drug..because it happens, no matter how rare, they must include.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby DoubleD on June 18th, 2011, 9:14 pm

TD I am trying my best not to have an open feud with you. I do not condone them. However Its getting harder and harder. Where are these "papers". Please PM then to me asap. 4-5 years!!!!! That is just not true! At all. What kind of doctor are you? Plus there is no way anyone can check your credentials.

I am starting to suspect that you are not what you say. The stuff you post is WAY off. Very dangerous and misleading.

DD
" By this all men will know that you are my diciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

10 years BFS
24/7 twitches all over
Cramps, tingling, buzzing, and a host of other weird things
Until you own your BFS, you will never disown als
DoubleD
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 19th, 2011, 1:25 am

DoubleD, just sent you WHOLE paper, not just abstract (small proof I do have access to online medical libraries). Once you read it, please at least apologize for what you have said about me. I only reiterated what I have been told which was based on studies like that and you challenge me? That is crazy, I would never brought this up if I had not been asked by Barbie.
My point is, you are questioning what I say without any medical knowledge, then please read paper I sent you (and I can send yo more like this) and kindly recall what you have said. Thanks
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Barbie800 on June 19th, 2011, 6:53 am

TwitchyDoc wrote: I would never brought this up if I had not been asked by Barbie.

Wait just a minute... I did not ask you about any papers written. All I asked you was if your doctors told you that you had BFS and if so why are you still so scared 4 years later. I NEVER asked about papers. YOU OFFERED THAT INFORMATION ALL ON YOUR OWN. Even if there were a few rare cases of this, you have to remember that there are people who are scared to death on this site coming here for help. They don't need to be reading this stuff. Even after 2 years of this I admit that when you posted that it freaked me out.
Barbie800
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 19th, 2011, 8:29 am

Barbie..you asked me what I am nervous after 4 years and whether I was told its BFS. I have answered, that I was told its likely BFS but that time (4-5 years) will tell, he was refering to last papers from this area. So that is why I am quite nervous - answer to your question.
I definitely do not want to scare anyone so I will not post anything from these papers. Some people just do not want to listen...again, its like drug side effects..even if one patient experiences something, that something WILL BE mentioned in side effects, no matter how rare it was. The same applies here..
No reason to be affraid. Just I am as I am forced to read these studies which I really do not want to, but just have to.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby DoubleD on June 19th, 2011, 9:09 am

FYI TD and I have" left the building" (taken this discussion private).

Thanks TD for doing this
" By this all men will know that you are my diciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

10 years BFS
24/7 twitches all over
Cramps, tingling, buzzing, and a host of other weird things
Until you own your BFS, you will never disown als
DoubleD
Saint
Saint

Postby dARR on June 19th, 2011, 10:03 am

4-5 years? No this is incorrect. I can show you a paper insisting that the gulf war never happened (baudrillard) does that make it true? U know what happens to *beep* papers in academia? They never get into the textbooks. Every major clinic in North America and Europe along with every major university including the university of Beijing and Tokyo along with every textbook will tell you that Fasciculation in the absence of other significant problems with reflexes or strength or electro-magnetic findings are benign.

People who never twitch get als...omg...not twitching is now a symptom.

Tsk sharpshooter fallacy.
I can *beep*
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 19th, 2011, 10:22 am

dARR, I will not take into the public. Contact DoubleD if you want to know more...its not one or two cases and its not "some" study.

Enough said, no need to scare anyone.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management