7+ years and the numbness keeps improving

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

7+ years and the numbness keeps improving

Postby Richard on June 2nd, 2011, 11:15 pm

About 7 years ago (4/30/2004) I had an operation at L5-S1 for a herniated disk. I had numbness on my left foot and at one point I couldn't feel the foot at all.

Then over months I slowly got more feeling. Interestingly first pain and then feeling.

The numbness has seemed to slowly continue to go away. For years I had it on the side of my left foot. Then my little toe. Then only if I pushed in using my finger nails into the side of my let foot and then pushing in on my left little toe.

I also had very bad cramps for a while. Especially if I would stretch all of a sudden. This doesn't happen much anymore (but still occassionall).

To make a long story short, I no longer seem to have ANY numbness. But it has taken years and years and years.

I had one dr tell me that nerves only heal for 2-3 years. But another one said 'who told you that, why wouldn't the body continue to TRY to heal itself'.

So I guess I am hopeful that if these symptoms of mine are caused by nerve damage from the herniated disk, maybe in another 7 years I will not twitch.

In 7 years I will be 50 years old and maybe have different health problems...

But hope springs eternal.

-Richard

PS as long as I don't have trouble at 50 standing at attention...
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Re: 7+ years and the numbness keeps improving

Postby Amacra on June 12th, 2011, 6:32 pm

Interesting! I had surgery on both feet to remove pinched nerves and had numbness for years, but I no longer have any! I was also told it would not come back!
Amacra

Re: 7+ years and the numbness keeps improving

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management