Tai Chi

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tai Chi

Postby Amacra on May 30th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Has anyone ever tried Tai Chi? If you're not familiar, google it. I would describe it as martial arts and meditation in motion. I recently started practicing as my very good friend owns a studio. She's been practicing for more than 20 years and says it saved her life from anxiety. I've noticed that I have a significant reduction in my symptoms when I practice.
Amacra

Re: Tai Chi

Postby glitterwater on May 30th, 2011, 4:09 pm

I've tried it along with a similar practice called Qi Gong. I do notice a decrease in my symptoms when doing the exercises. Wish it would continue when I'm done!
"O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me." Psalms 30:2
glitterwater
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mommylondon on May 30th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Sounds good to me, I shall be looking into this one :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby Amacra on May 30th, 2011, 8:01 pm

I go to the studio on Wednesday nights, but I've been practicing on my own whenever I start to feel anxious. I'm still learning the sequence, so I'm not entirely able to meditate yet, but they say that comes with time. If nothing else, it's a nice, gentle workout!
Amacra

Postby mommylondon on May 30th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Yeah thats what I was thinking also. I'll try anything to keep the anxiety from coming back to the level it was at. That was so miserable :(
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on June 1st, 2011, 5:15 pm

I recommend it. When I was practicing regularly it would usually help; part of it is that you must concentrate and that focuses your mind and puts you in the moment, also some of the warm-up exercises and postures are good for circulation. Depending on what style you learn you may be able to commit the entire or partial form sequence to memory and use it as therapy daily - but it is best to have a good instructor as a guide (that I found is the hard part). Best of luck :)
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby Amacra on June 2nd, 2011, 8:22 pm

I do agree you need to have a good instructor. I don't think you can get the same results from a DVD or online. I also agree the warm-up exercises are great for circulation and just overall feeling of well-being which many of us in this situation need!

Today my neurologist gave me a RX: continue Tai Chi, continue daily walks, add Yoga!
Amacra

Postby ImOK on June 2nd, 2011, 8:29 pm

You have a great neuro! Most cannot see the body as a whole entity but only its parts as if we can be segmented and portioned off into sections for some sort of 'treatment'.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management